New jigging setup

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

New jigging setup

Post by baseball4life702 »

Got the itch to start jigging, so without making the wallet hurt too bad I went and satisfied my fishing addiction. Got an ugly stik tiger lite jigging rod. It's 6'6/50-100lb braid/112-200gram capacity or for the noobs 4-7oz. There is one heavier model that's like 6' /80-130lb and 150-280 gram but I decided I just don't need the xheavy model. The reel in the picture is mine not purchased cuz for jigging reels are not as important as long as its high speed and can hold the braid you want.
Along with the rod I picked up 2 high speed vertical jigs (abyss by Williamson) in 100 and 150 grams blue and green color and a one flutter jig (vortex by Williamson) 100g also in a greenish color. I plan on going up to 200g once I get the hang of things.
As for braid I had to order metered 40lb tufline from BPS because absolutely no one had metered braid today except for like one 150lb test spool. I was also going to get a 60lb spool in red too but they only had red in power pro and the word is to stay away from PP.
So in total for a rod and 3 jigs to start its cost me like 115$ the price I would have paid for a trevala or higher class rod alone. I have heard good reviews about the ugly sticks and I am already a fan of the non jigging models so I expect good performance. I will update on how it's holding up once I get out and use it a few times. I also got a new bridge net and some gog jigs god I wish it wasn't raining today. :king:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rare
SHARKER

Re: New jigging setup

Post by Rare »

baseball4life702 wrote:reels are not as important as long as its high speed and can hold the braid you want.
The reel ratio many of us use is a lower gear ratio like 4:1 & 5:1+ but the lower is preferred . The higher ratio reel are use for popping jigs when you need the fast poppers to fly across the water.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Well if you knew about the reel its 4.6-1 but that's my fault cuz I didn't include the model (pen 550ssg)...now maybe I was wrong in my (high-speed) terminology but I clearly remember the guys on Florida sportsman show saying you need a high speed reel. Even though under 5-1 isn't considered high speed it will do the job.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

baseball4life702 wrote:Well if you knew about the reel its 4.6-1 but that's my fault cuz I didn't include the model (pen 550ssg)...now maybe I was wrong in my (high-speed) terminology but I clearly remember the guys on Florida sportsman show saying you need a high speed reel. Even though under 5-1 isn't considered high speed it will do the job.
:stupid: What do you know about jigging RARE ?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:stupid: Haha everybody's got their own style for everything lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

fishnfool73 wrote:
Nothing.... :oops: Im glad im going on the yankee capt trip to gain the wealth of knowledge that is on this trip about jigging.

I was think about getting this reel for jigging since its the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Rare on Tue May 05, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

I have to admit a 2 speed spinner is pretty cool especially for jigging

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

baseball4life702 wrote:I have to admit a 2 speed spinner is pretty cool especially for jigging
I think so but it heavy on the price. Im not sure what rod i should get for it....Im think about pulling the trigger for this spinner

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Sweet Mother of God son. Heavy on the price???????? Any chance you checked out the nut you're staring at for college for your two kids? And take it to the bank I'm gonna tell your wife
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Florida 529 :thumright:

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Rare wrote:Florida 529 :thumright:
Don't you realize Florida prepaid is more expensive than it ever was still a goddam arm and leg to pay for school. And it keeps rising every year. But still better for your kids than paying straight up or loans.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

baseball4life702 wrote:
Don't you realize Florida prepaid is more expensive than it ever was still a goddam arm and leg to pay for school. And it keeps rising every year. But still better for your kids than paying straight up or loans.

Hell, with Vanguard. Are you up for the job to build a custom portfolio for me?....

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Rare wrote:
baseball4life702 wrote:

Hell, with Vanguard. Are you up for the job to build a custom portfolio for me?....
Haha if I could do that I wouldn't be unemployed and probably own my own boat instead of being boatless.. For people like us prepaid is the best option, i truly appreciate what my parents did so I didnt have to pay more than a couple thousand dollars for my bachelors degree but now it's on me for the next 4 years. And I guess I should put the next 100$ to college for my future kids instead of a new rod lol :toast:

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Everything sounded cool, until he said 50oz.....

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

anas473 wrote:Everything sounded cool, until he said 50oz.....
I didn't watch that far until I saw ur post. Holy chit thats like equivalent to 10-15 jigs I think just the weight alone kinda defeats the purpose unless you like steroids.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

And, of course, you have that covered in your master plan so..............buy that reel for the trip. Does anyone have that reel in the forum? Sweet
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Capt Harry has Daiwa Boat Braid is metered in like 4 colors. Tharts were I got mines.
Not that important tho I guess. I switched to Cortland braid and turned out to be awesome.

As for reel I used a Okuma Cedros 65 S and sometimes a Raw II.

The Cedros has had it's share of biggens and is btw specifically a jigging reel. Best bang for the buck imo. Drag is insane imo as well and smooth as butter.
The retrieve ratio is right there where ya need it 2 be in my humble far away opinion

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/vie ... high-speed

:ying: :ying:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

STRIZ wrote:Capt Harry has Daiwa Boat Braid is metered in like 4 colors. Tharts were I got mines.
Not that important tho I guess. I switched to Cortland braid and turned out to be awesome.

As for reel I used a Okuma Cedros 65 S and sometimes a Raw II.

The Cedros has had it's share of biggens and is btw specifically a jigging reel. Best bang for the buck imo. Drag is insane imo as well and smooth as butter.
The retrieve ratio is right there where ya need it 2 be in my humble far away opinion

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/vie ... high-speed

:ying: :ying:
After the first guy in BPS told me they don't sell metered braid I went and found rolls of the daiwa boat braid except they only had 150lb test that's when I got ticked off and made them order me some chit lol... Yea I should have gone to capt. Harry's or Hopkins carter marine but I wasn't feeling like driving all that way just for braid

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I think I gotta set up the jigging clinic again
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

50oz??? Ha-ha, that's no jigging reel, lol. :viking:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Two speed on spinner...hmm

I want to open this reel and want to see how they built it...
Most spinner is using worm gear. Main reason is handle rotation of spinner is perpendicular to spool winding.
In my gut thought without looking at actual reel and without undermining engineering effort to build two speed spinner, two speed spinner can not be built efficiently...
In case of conventional, handle rotation and spool winding are in parallel so direct drive gear is used, which is easy for two speed...

I want to google schematics...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

fishnfool73 wrote:
baseball4life702 wrote:Well if you knew about the reel its 4.6-1 but that's my fault cuz I didn't include the model (pen 550ssg)...now maybe I was wrong in my (high-speed) terminology but I clearly remember the guys on Florida sportsman show saying you need a high speed reel. Even though under 5-1 isn't considered high speed it will do the job.
X2

But I think Rare is just full of BS...He is on that mood once out of blue moon... I don't know why... lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The reel will be here in June, bluemoon. You are more than welcome to check it out and investigate the inside of this high tech reel with me.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

gdm phil wrote:I think I gotta set up the jigging clinic again
Phil

correct me if I am wrong...I figured this out from your last comment and doing some internet fishing.

Amount of line retrieved by reeling has to be equal to or more than that of line retrieved by rod jerking...
If not, line may get caught up by rod tip...

With low ratio reel,
for slow pitch jerking, you may be able to match jerking speed to reeling but frequently, you have to mix high-pitch jerk with slow pitch, then it will be problematic.
for high pitch jerking, you may have to do three or four turns of reeling per jerk. And This will consume you quickly and you may not be in a good rhythm.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Rare wrote:The reel will be here in June, bluemoon. You are more than welcome to check it out and investigate the inside of this high tech reel with me.
Please don't tell me you actually bought that reel. That's just scary lol

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

kblue wrote:
gdm phil wrote:I think I gotta set up the jigging clinic again
Phil

correct me if I am wrong...I figured this out from your last comment and doing some internet fishing.

Amount of line retrieved by reeling has to be equal to or more than that of line retrieved by rod jerking...
If not, line may get caught up by rod tip...

With low ratio reel,
for slow pitch jerking, you may be able to match jerking speed to reeling but frequently, you have to mix high-pitch jerk with slow pitch, then it will be problematic.
for high pitch jerking, you may have to do three or four turns of reeling per jerk. And This will consume you quickly and you may not be in a good rhythm.
Just my 2 cents while I'm still learning lol with slow speed I don't believe you need to match the jerking speed with reeling, really your not even jerking it more just like one turn of the reel and a little jerk and then the jig flutters back down. You really don't need to reel any more that is the action of it, swinging left to right as it sinks back down the slow speed jigs that are center balanced are designed to preform the action once you give it a little tug. Hence the less energy wasted compared to a vertical jig which requires multiple turns of reel and a lot of jerking.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I have seen at least three unique versions of slow jigging technique...I am sure there will be more...
But one thing I believe is Japan water is not same as Florida water. I am saying this because I saw the slow jigging style you mentioned done in Japanese water.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yes you are 100% correct I'm sure most of us are looking at the same site but there are a few others like in Australia/ New Zealand too. But also there are plenty of non Japanese companies making slow speed jigs for example flutter jigs from companies like Williamson or shimano.. I would look up flutter jigging its relatively the same Imo

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I'm not expert but according to cudaman who is my go to jigging encyclopedia, you need a high speed reel for slow pitch.

With slow pitch jigging, turning the handle is called the pitch. The rods are so light tipped that with the right weight jig for the rod, just reeling creates jig movement as the rod springs up. You turn the handle by 1/3 1/2 or a full turn. Never more than a full turn usually.

You need it to be fast speed so that just that 1 turn is enough.

Like kblue said with speed jigging it doesn't matter reel speed as much and i know some speed jigging conventional reels are lower speed. You turn the handle several times before jigging up with your arm. But I use saragosa 8k with 5:6:1 and my 10k with 4:9:1 which I guess is high speed and higher speed and love em.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

baseball4life702 wrote:Yes you are 100% correct I'm sure most of us are looking at the same site but there are a few others like in Australia/ New Zealand too. But also there are plenty of non Japanese companies making slow speed jigs for example flutter jigs from companies like Williamson or shimano.. I would look up flutter jigging its relatively the same Imo
they really aren't when we go out Ull try my jigs and rods and it will become clear. Even williamson flutter jigs are speed jigs. Shimano flatside are somewhere in between. The only true slow shimano is almost shimano flat fall which is very basic.

Slow pitch is relatively new in the US.

some ppl have been doing it forever but jigging is gaining popularity I even saw a newspaper article recently about it

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”