PENN Conflict Reels

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Dalton Fury
Fisher

PENN Conflict Reels

Post by Dalton Fury »

I'm looking to make an upgrade from the Battles I have and was wondering if anyone on here owns a Conflict 2500/3000 and if so how they like it. I'm split between a Stradic and the Conflict and can't really decide. I know the Stradics are markedly better reels, but still not sure if the $60 difference is really worth it. Saw a Conflict 3000 on Amazon for only $115 whereas the Stradics are $180. The Conflict is only 2 ounces heavier and holds more line. Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Re: PENN Conflict Reels

Post by LINESIDER »

stradic allllll dayyyyyyyyyy.. i have had a 4000 for 15+ years.. beat that thing to the ground..hasnt failed me yet..

r00kieAngler
Weekend Warrior

Post by r00kieAngler »

X 2 on the stradic. I would pay extra if funds isnt an issue.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Alan Hawk review of conflict reel... avoid them... search for his name and look at his review.

williamstrav
Fisher

Post by williamstrav »

tears143 wrote:Alan Hawk review of conflict reel... avoid them... search for his name and look at his review.
I could not find that review you are talking about anywhere. I see that he called out "Conquer" not the "Conflict". You can see that the bottom of this page: http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html. He doesn't have anything on his site about the Conflict.

I have the Conflict 3000 and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Very smooth reel. Especially after I serviced it real good. I bought one for $80 from a guy on craigslist. It is my reel that I use for artificial. My fun reel pretty much :lol: . I am yet to put it to the test on a real big fish but I have no complaints. I also upgraded from the battles. Hope this helps.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

williamstrav wrote:
tears143 wrote:Alan Hawk review of conflict reel... avoid them... search for his name and look at his review.
I could not find that review you are talking about anywhere. I see that he called out "Conquer" not the "Conflict". You can see that the bottom of this page: http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html. He doesn't have anything on his site about the Conflict.

I have the Conflict 3000 and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Very smooth reel. Especially after I serviced it real good. I bought one for $80 from a guy on craigslist. It is my reel that I use for artificial. My fun reel pretty much :lol: . I am yet to put it to the test on a real big fish but I have no complaints. I also upgraded from the battles. Hope this helps.
Ah my mistake. >.<

You are correct.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

williamstrav wrote:
tears143 wrote: . I am yet to put it to the test on a real big fish but I have no complaints. Hope this helps.
every reel is great, till u fight the fish.. does it hold up to long runs,heat,abuse from us land based anglers. plastic reel??

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

I absolutely love mine. Zero complaints, at all. Save the $60 and put it towards something else, you won't be sorry :toast:

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Are u the author fury?

williamstrav
Fisher

Post by williamstrav »

LINESIDER wrote:
williamstrav wrote:
tears143 wrote: . I am yet to put it to the test on a real big fish but I have no complaints. Hope this helps.
every reel is great, till u fight the fish.. does it hold up to long runs,heat,abuse from us land based anglers. plastic reel??
I agree with you. If it is any better than the Battle then I have no doubt it will hold up to the abuse. It is not plastic. It has a metal body.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

LINESIDER wrote:
williamstrav wrote:

Exactly... any reel can beat most fish from a boat... However, you put a solid reel up against a big boy tarpon FROM LAND and it's bye bye to all but the best after enough fish.

How's that Cabo 50 treating you?

-Swordfish

Dalton Fury
Fisher

Post by Dalton Fury »

Appreciate all the advice guys. Ended up going with the Conflict because I was able to get it via Amazon Prime for only 85 bucks. Can't really beat that deal. If it sucks, I'll just go get a Stradic lol but I think for my application fishing SW Florida for Snook/Snapper/Pompano/Macks it should do fine. One of my Battles is seizing up on me making this weird clicking and grinding noise, so hopefully that's not a sign of things to come with the Conflict ha but I'm encouraged by the fact that the bearings are sealed.

r00kieAngler
Weekend Warrior

Post by r00kieAngler »

Give us a review when you get to beat on it.

robalo3
Fisher

Post by robalo3 »

Good reviews. I am rebuilding a jetty snook type rod I bought in 1963 for my grandson (7'8"hurricane hollow glass) and I was looking for a good 6000 type reel to put on it that will last. I have an old Stadic 4000 it is in good repair but I guess you would call it delaminating. I was thinking 6000 Fierce, then I saw a 6000 battle. The problem is here we only get to go for light tackle salt water 2-3 times a year and the reels sit around collecting dust and longing looks the rest of the year. I have a Penn 704Z that I bought 10-12 yrs ago I only used once. Good reel but too heavy by today's standards. I hope the kid gets at least as much enjoyment out of it as I did out of the old "Cadillac III" I wore out on it the first go around. Which brings me to the point of this post. Over the long run, when you look back into the junk box or drawer that holds those worn out reels you will remember the battle or battles that tore those reels out and it will give you great joy. So I will read on until I step up to the plate at the Atlanta bass pro and make a spontanious decision and walk away with the match for the rod probably one that I never considered in the first place.
Thanks for the input I will keep on reading
Robalo

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”