Setting The Drag On A Spinning Reel

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Ham
Weekend Warrior

Setting The Drag On A Spinning Reel

Post by Ham »

I'm using either 2, 3 or 4 ounce sinkers. Should i set the drag (using a spring scale) before or after attaching the sinkers?

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Re: Setting The Drag On A Spinning Reel

Post by Leadslinger »

Way over thinking it. Tie your rig on then adjust it so you can pull line off the spool with a little resistance.

ironman172
Fisher

Post by ironman172 »

Leadslinger wrote:Way over thinking it. Tie your rig on then adjust it so you can pull line off the spool with a little resistance.
Really over thinking it, mine is loose so the fish(king) can run and change it through out the battle once the hook is set....and for the most part the fish does that anyway

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

The drag should be set about a 1/4- 1/3 of the line poundage, 15# line should about 4-5# of drag, in the case of braid set the drag based on the mono diameter equivalent. Using a scale for the first time isn't a bad idea so you know what 5# of drag feels like, that's the technical answer. The reality is few people really do that and just go by feel. IMO the sinkers have no bearing on drag.

A simple to do this without a scale. Run the line thru all the rod guides and tie your line to a grocery plastic bag, which weighs virtually nothing. Put something in the bag that you know the weight like 5# bag of sugar or weightlifting weight, lift the bag so you line just barely pulls out drag. That's going to be close enough.

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

jettypark28 wrote:IMO we never ever use a drag setting device on a spinning reel... it was always by feel and learning to
cup the spool when more drag was needed.. and Yes I agree too much overthinking will get you in trouble..

Its fishing not rocket science :mrgreen:
I 1000 % agree, I've never done it any other way but by feel, just thought I'd give the technical explanation.
I do go on a freshwater forum, unbelievable as it may sound (at least it does to me) many there are absolutely anal about drag and every other aspect of fishing, to them it is rocket science.

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”