CRAB ID

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
flguywes
Seasoned Fisher

CRAB ID

Post by flguywes »

I have been out twice, at two different inlets with live hand picked shrimp. The both times I was fishing I caught this crab. I did cast him out as bait however no takers.
My questions:
1. what kind of crab is it?
2. Can it be used as bait?
3. should I do anything special to prepare it as bait?(cut in half/remove claws/snip of shell points)

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Re: CRAB ID

Post by Miamipescador »

Looks like a calico crab to me.
Lose the wire bud

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

It's a calico. I take off the claws and most of the legs so they don't grab onto structure or dig into the sand which they will do if they can. I like to think it also releases scent, but who knows? It makes me feel good, anyway. I hook them through the hole left where a leg once was then slowly work the hook through the carapace near the corner point. If you just jab it through, the shell will break and probably be useless as bait. They are fun to use as bait because they are an all-or-nothing bait. It may sit out there all day without a hit, but if something does hit it, it's going to be fun.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

coolcow wrote:It's a calico. I take off the claws and most of the legs so they don't grab onto structure or dig into the sand which they will do if they can. I like to think it also releases scent, but who knows? It makes me feel good, anyway. I hook them through the hole left where a leg once was then slowly work the hook through the carapace near the corner point. If you just jab it through, the shell will break and probably be useless as bait. They are fun to use as bait because they are an all-or-nothing bait. It may sit out there all day without a hit, but if something does hit it, it's going to be fun.
:stupid:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

flguywes
Seasoned Fisher

Post by flguywes »

Thanks for all replies so quickly! I was fishing 20lb flour in with 1/0 hook. At the time I just wanted anything to bite. Next time I'll drift it straight out the inlet 150 yards or so...

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

flguywes wrote:Thanks for all replies so quickly! I was fishing 20lb flour in with 1/0 hook. At the time I just wanted anything to bite. Next time I'll drift it straight out the inlet 150 yards or so...
If your going to do that, I might put a little bit stronger line on.... :toast: :toast:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Depending on the crabs size and location fished snook, grouper, snapper, sheepshead, tarpon, redfish, black drum, hogfsh, and permit will all eat them.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

fishnfool73 wrote:Depending on the crabs size and location fished snook, grouper, snapper, sheepshead, tarpon, redfish, black drum, hogfsh, and permit will all eat them.
like i said...i'd put a little heavier line on...20lbs line on a 100lbs tarpon...makes for a short fight

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

fishnfool73 wrote:Depending on the crabs size and location fished snook, grouper, snapper, sheepshead, tarpon, redfish, black drum, hogfsh, and permit will all eat them.
Don't forget cudas.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

We call it a calico but it really is a --Speckled Swimming Crab
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
Don't forget cudas.
Don't forget Puffers, and stingrays. :toast:
I like to hook mine same as the others, but I leave the legs on, remove claws and the little digger/swimmer fins in the back when pinned to bottom. I have yet to eat the larger ones but if I get enuf I will try them in some crab boil. :toast:

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

and the meanest crab eater of all the Cobia!!!! :mrgreen:
Rick

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Figuy, here's the link to a How To write up I did a while ago. Check it out if you have any questions on hook placement, hooking procedure etc. Take it easy and good luck man.

http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 58&t=27150

flguywes
Seasoned Fisher

Post by flguywes »

Thanks for the tips all! Especially Juan! The picture tutorial was great. The crabs were both similar in size I feel like I could have been on to something, perhaps so close...
Kind of like the guys on television "Gold Rush" :joker: :reeling:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Gold Rush good show not as good as Hoarders or Storage Wars though. :toast: Your on to something for sure. I've always heard drifting them out on an outgoing in a local inlet worked very well, just never tried always pinned to bottom. Good luck out there and :toast: heres to no spills on dem rocks.

Return to “Bait Bucket”