Freshwater snook question?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Post Reply
User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Freshwater snook question?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

So I recently bought a new house in Palm City, west of Stuart. There is a decent size pond on my property, about 1/2 an acre. Right now it has bass, bluegill, catfish and specks (crappie) in it. If some snook were to magically appear in there :jester: , do you think they would live, especially if they came from saltwater before? The pond is 100% fresh, no salinity at all. It should be warm enough for them, but not sure about the shock of adjusting to a freshwater environment instantly.
Image

User avatar
kblue
SHARKER
Posts: 2542
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by kblue »

I think I saw a documentary showing after building a dam, some fish supposed to go to ocean are stuck at lake where they adopt the environment to live... So I think some snooks will adopt the fresh water...

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I know they can live fine in freshwater, but I'm just not sure about the shock of moving one from salt to fresh instantly, or if they would have to be slowly acclimated.
Image

User avatar
gruntking
LUMBER-JACK
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: miami broward west palm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by gruntking »

I use to have one in my pond

If one of them fish with the funny lines were to magically appear in your pond it would have to come from a fresh water source

I've tried to take them from the ocean into the fresh it just doesn't work they always die
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

k5523915
Old Salt
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by k5523915 »

Palm city is nice place

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by SaltyDog »

I agree with Joe unless you do a prolonged acclimation like a drip method for hours it might work. When i was a kid my grandpa caught a couple from the dania cut off canal put them in his friends pond also the guy had another caugjt from the cut off in his fish tank lol it was a freshwater tank tarpon will work too

User avatar
Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by Kingofthesea »

Congrats on da new crib. Half acre property or half acre pond?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by fishnfool73 »

Go catch a freshie at the local spillway some real slugs in there I am talking 40 -50 inches with rumors of bigger. (tommy The smaller models are there as well.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

User avatar
cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: miami, fl

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by cantseeme47 »

Head to the glades many of those magic 14in snook that appear in lakes
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by SaltyDog »

Next boatless gathering Rorys pond no vertical jigs guys

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by crashmister »

Anything caught in a river after prolonged rains is in at least, mostly fresh water. The closer to the ICW you get, the quicker it goes back to salt. I'm on New River North branch about 1.8 miles from the ICW. It stays fresh for weeks after heavy rains. Runners, Jacks, snook, poons, and the occasional red are always around it seems. Last couple weeks manatees have been stripping the low mangroves.

If you can keep em in a BIG cooler and slowly add pond water to acclimate, anything thing you get in the rivers should survive. Also solves the temperature shock problem.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

User avatar
Rare
SHARKER
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by Rare »

Kblue, we have another project.

Please get started on these damn projects. Stop slacking....I hate slackers

1. Water sample for the shrimp guy

2. Sand flea breeding

3. Freshwater snook....
Image

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Kingofthesea wrote:Congrats on da new crib. Half acre property or half acre pond?
Property is 3 acres, the pond is about 1/2 an acre, maybe a little more. I share the pond with a couple neighbors, it's at the back of the backyard. There are some BIG bass in there, and lots of specks, I've messed around for a few minutes with a beetlespin and caught fish almost every cast. Just looking to diversify the fish population :D
Image

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

SaltyDog wrote:Next boatless gathering Rorys pond no vertical jigs guys
We're gonna have a pig roast or a crawfish boil in the next few months once we get settled in, all of you old-school guys will get a PM. Plenty of room to camp if you want to bring the families and sleep in a tent, lol.
Image

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by SaltyDog »

Just lmk dude we will bring a tent and camp among other things....it will be like an ol skool boatless woodstock lol

User avatar
STRIZ
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 pm
Location: WAY OUT THERE

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by STRIZ »

Dang Rory now I know why you work with cc"s

Congrats. I really dig how you are gunning for your family
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

STRIZ wrote:Dang Rory now I know why you work with cc"s

Congrats. I really dig how you are gunning for your family

Thanks Ron...we got a decent deal on the house, too good to pass up, it was a short sale. Needs some updating and work but I think we did ok.

Image

Image
Image

User avatar
STRIZ
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 pm
Location: WAY OUT THERE

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by STRIZ »

Wow :dude:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

User avatar
Rare
SHARKER
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by Rare »

Mr. Gates did ya good :thumright:
Image

User avatar
Moose
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by Moose »

We've never met, but congrats on your new house..big step in life....i wish i could find something like that in Miami lol...my gf is a country girl from Virginia and wants free range chickens and goats etx...the only place even close to affordable is homestead...and even then

User avatar
kblue
SHARKER
Posts: 2542
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:Kblue, we have another project.

Please get started on these damn projects. Stop slacking....I hate slackers

1. Water sample for the shrimp guy

2. Sand flea breeding

3. Freshwater snook....
I won't be disappointing as I never do...but my pipeline is so filled up with projects...
I will try to give higher priority to yours...Bro

User avatar
kblue
SHARKER
Posts: 2542
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Freshwater snook question?

Post by kblue »

Hey Rory
You made me think of one project for my church that has a decent size of pond at backyard...
Last time I checked, I didn't see any big fish... I am thinking of putting peacock bass and snake head...lol

Post Reply

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”