Freshwater snook question?
- PhishingPhanatic
- BLACK FIN TUNA
- Posts: 6785
- Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
- Location: 204 Miles From Long Key
Freshwater snook question?
So I recently bought a new house in Palm City, west of Stuart. There is a decent size pond on my property, about 1/2 an acre. Right now it has bass, bluegill, catfish and specks (crappie) in it. If some snook were to magically appear in there
, do you think they would live, especially if they came from saltwater before? The pond is 100% fresh, no salinity at all. It should be warm enough for them, but not sure about the shock of adjusting to a freshwater environment instantly.

- kblue
- SHARKER
- Posts: 2542
- Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
I think I saw a documentary showing after building a dam, some fish supposed to go to ocean are stuck at lake where they adopt the environment to live... So I think some snooks will adopt the fresh water...
- PhishingPhanatic
- BLACK FIN TUNA
- Posts: 6785
- Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
- Location: 204 Miles From Long Key
Re: Freshwater snook question?
I know they can live fine in freshwater, but I'm just not sure about the shock of moving one from salt to fresh instantly, or if they would have to be slowly acclimated.

- gruntking
- LUMBER-JACK
- Posts: 3997
- Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:06 pm
- Location: miami broward west palm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
I use to have one in my pond
If one of them fish with the funny lines were to magically appear in your pond it would have to come from a fresh water source
I've tried to take them from the ocean into the fresh it just doesn't work they always die
If one of them fish with the funny lines were to magically appear in your pond it would have to come from a fresh water source
I've tried to take them from the ocean into the fresh it just doesn't work they always die
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN
-
k5523915
- Old Salt
- Posts: 360
- Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:33 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Palm city is nice place
-
SaltyDog
- KING MACKEREL
- Posts: 751
- Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
I agree with Joe unless you do a prolonged acclimation like a drip method for hours it might work. When i was a kid my grandpa caught a couple from the dania cut off canal put them in his friends pond also the guy had another caugjt from the cut off in his fish tank lol it was a freshwater tank tarpon will work too
- Kingofthesea
- GOLIATH GROUPER
- Posts: 1709
- Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:00 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Congrats on da new crib. Half acre property or half acre pond?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.
"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".
"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".
- fishnfool73
- AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
- Posts: 8703
- Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Go catch a freshie at the local spillway some real slugs in there I am talking 40 -50 inches with rumors of bigger.
The smaller models are there as well.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.
- cantseeme47
- KING MACKEREL
- Posts: 834
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 pm
- Location: miami, fl
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Head to the glades many of those magic 14in snook that appear in lakes
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
-
SaltyDog
- KING MACKEREL
- Posts: 751
- Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Next boatless gathering Rorys pond no vertical jigs guys
-
crashmister
- BLACK FIN TUNA
- Posts: 3491
- Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 am
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Anything caught in a river after prolonged rains is in at least, mostly fresh water. The closer to the ICW you get, the quicker it goes back to salt. I'm on New River North branch about 1.8 miles from the ICW. It stays fresh for weeks after heavy rains. Runners, Jacks, snook, poons, and the occasional red are always around it seems. Last couple weeks manatees have been stripping the low mangroves.
If you can keep em in a BIG cooler and slowly add pond water to acclimate, anything thing you get in the rivers should survive. Also solves the temperature shock problem.
If you can keep em in a BIG cooler and slowly add pond water to acclimate, anything thing you get in the rivers should survive. Also solves the temperature shock problem.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!
- Rare
- SHARKER
- Posts: 2480
- Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Kblue, we have another project.
Please get started on these damn projects. Stop slacking....I hate slackers
1. Water sample for the shrimp guy
2. Sand flea breeding
3. Freshwater snook....
Please get started on these damn projects. Stop slacking....I hate slackers
1. Water sample for the shrimp guy
2. Sand flea breeding
3. Freshwater snook....

- PhishingPhanatic
- BLACK FIN TUNA
- Posts: 6785
- Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
- Location: 204 Miles From Long Key
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Property is 3 acres, the pond is about 1/2 an acre, maybe a little more. I share the pond with a couple neighbors, it's at the back of the backyard. There are some BIG bass in there, and lots of specks, I've messed around for a few minutes with a beetlespin and caught fish almost every cast. Just looking to diversify the fish populationKingofthesea wrote:Congrats on da new crib. Half acre property or half acre pond?

- PhishingPhanatic
- BLACK FIN TUNA
- Posts: 6785
- Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
- Location: 204 Miles From Long Key
Re: Freshwater snook question?
We're gonna have a pig roast or a crawfish boil in the next few months once we get settled in, all of you old-school guys will get a PM. Plenty of room to camp if you want to bring the families and sleep in a tent, lol.SaltyDog wrote:Next boatless gathering Rorys pond no vertical jigs guys

-
SaltyDog
- KING MACKEREL
- Posts: 751
- Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Just lmk dude we will bring a tent and camp among other things....it will be like an ol skool boatless woodstock lol
- STRIZ
- KING MACKEREL
- Posts: 871
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 pm
- Location: WAY OUT THERE
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Dang Rory now I know why you work with cc"s
Congrats. I really dig how you are gunning for your family
Congrats. I really dig how you are gunning for your family
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY
- PhishingPhanatic
- BLACK FIN TUNA
- Posts: 6785
- Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
- Location: 204 Miles From Long Key
Re: Freshwater snook question?
STRIZ wrote:Dang Rory now I know why you work with cc"s
Congrats. I really dig how you are gunning for your family
Thanks Ron...we got a decent deal on the house, too good to pass up, it was a short sale. Needs some updating and work but I think we did ok.



- STRIZ
- KING MACKEREL
- Posts: 871
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 pm
- Location: WAY OUT THERE
- Rare
- SHARKER
- Posts: 2480
- Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm
- Moose
- KING MACKEREL
- Posts: 536
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
Re: Freshwater snook question?
We've never met, but congrats on your new house..big step in life....i wish i could find something like that in Miami lol...my gf is a country girl from Virginia and wants free range chickens and goats etx...the only place even close to affordable is homestead...and even then
- kblue
- SHARKER
- Posts: 2542
- Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
I won't be disappointing as I never do...but my pipeline is so filled up with projects...Rare wrote:Kblue, we have another project.
Please get started on these damn projects. Stop slacking....I hate slackers
1. Water sample for the shrimp guy
2. Sand flea breeding
3. Freshwater snook....
I will try to give higher priority to yours...Bro
- kblue
- SHARKER
- Posts: 2542
- Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm
Re: Freshwater snook question?
Hey Rory
You made me think of one project for my church that has a decent size of pond at backyard...
Last time I checked, I didn't see any big fish... I am thinking of putting peacock bass and snake head...lol
You made me think of one project for my church that has a decent size of pond at backyard...
Last time I checked, I didn't see any big fish... I am thinking of putting peacock bass and snake head...lol