I am curious as to ya'll's thoughts on the issue.
I am mainly interested in the keys tho.
Yeah thats what i have read. You say that macks dont eat reef fish? Isn't a macks prey the same as a cuda? Maybe a newbie question however i would think that they would eat a lot of the same fish. From what i understand Ciguatera is like you say.... exactly what you dont want to have.snapperkiller wrote:From what I understand it is from fish eating smaller reef fish that eat some plant?So if that is true it shouldn't infect macks because they dont really eat reef fish.
So is the general rule to not eat cuda or are specimens of a certain limited size considered safe? This is all from what i have read.Cookinman wrote:Macs generally are not on the list for reasons described above, while larger kingfish ARE - Like cuda's big kings will eat whatever is in their path when hungry....including many of the fish associated with Cig.
Yeah i hear that. I was interested for knowledge as well..... I have done quite a bit of reading on it...... i read that under 5lbs was considered safe.... however i personally wouldn't risk it where i am fishing due to the amount of reef structures in the area.bolo wrote:Just don't eat the cudas since they feed on the reef fish that carry the poison. The other fish will have no problems.
Personally I lay off big kings too...I have eaten a few smal cuda's but really do not make a practice of it unless it is small and will not survive release.L8RBRA wrote:So is the general rule to not eat cuda or are specimens of a certain limited size considered safe? This is all from what i have read.Cookinman wrote:Macs generally are not on the list for reasons described above, while larger kingfish ARE - Like cuda's big kings will eat whatever is in their path when hungry....including many of the fish associated with Cig.
bolo wrote:If it doesn't smell like a Skunk Ape then it is safe to eat.
Then basically you can't eat any from what you are saying. The cudas in deep water also have the poison.Cyrinn wrote:If you want to eat a cuda, try one that is not caught from a reef (grassflats, inshore channels, etc.)
Sorry, but there are members on this forum that has been poison from eating a cuda that less than 5lbs. Larger Snapper and Grouper are acceptable to this poison too.Cyrinn wrote:5 lbs. is what I have heard from cudas, other fish maybe larger. The only other species I have heard mentioned to carry ciguatoxin are amberjacks and cubera snapper. I am sure very large snapper and grouper have some small chance at having it, but there aren't very many of those around anymore.
See thats what i have heard...... Kinda the info that i have been looking for.bolo wrote:Then basically you can't eat any from what you are saying. The cudas in deep water also have the poison.Cyrinn wrote:If you want to eat a cuda, try one that is not caught from a reef (grassflats, inshore channels, etc.)
Sorry, but there are members on this forum that has been poison from eating a cuda that less than 5lbs. Larger Snapper and Grouper are acceptable to this poison too.Cyrinn wrote:5 lbs. is what I have heard from cudas, other fish maybe larger. The only other species I have heard mentioned to carry ciguatoxin are amberjacks and cubera snapper. I am sure very large snapper and grouper have some small chance at having it, but there aren't very many of those around anymore.
bolo wrote:The cudas in deep water also have the poison.

Cudas are fun on light tackle. Channel 5 hold some big cudas.L8RBRA wrote:So basically stay away from the cuda but not the cooter.

Nice photochop.bolo wrote:Cudas are fun on light tackle. Channel 5 hold some big cudas.L8RBRA wrote:So basically stay away from the cuda but not the cooter.
There are some many great fish to eat I just don't know why people keep wanting to eat cudas. I usually tell people just eat it. The side effect will go away within a few days.
I am going to try and target some shark on this trip. We'll see what happens.bolo wrote:I have gotten better with photoshop.![]()
That very same cuda was used for shark bait. Cudaman and his son both got railed by a very large shark.
I have some fairly thick wire leaders. Dont know the size since it was last year when i got em. If i break off i am not too worried..... if its going to break the wire that i have then i probably shouldn't be messing with it anyway.bolo wrote:Make sure you buy some wire. #12 will work for most size shark. Jacks and Cudas make great bait.
bolo wrote:Then basically you can't eat any from what you are saying. The cudas in deep water also have the poison.Cyrinn wrote:If you want to eat a cuda, try one that is not caught from a reef (grassflats, inshore channels, etc.)
Sorry, but there are members on this forum that has been poison from eating a cuda that less than 5lbs. Larger Snapper and Grouper are acceptable to this poison too.Cyrinn wrote:5 lbs. is what I have heard from cudas, other fish maybe larger. The only other species I have heard mentioned to carry ciguatoxin are amberjacks and cubera snapper. I am sure very large snapper and grouper have some small chance at having it, but there aren't very many of those around anymore.
Yeah those tests take 45min to a hour so i have read..... too long IMO..... Fish can migrate from one area to another fairly quickly.... I have no doubt that a fish in a esturary or channel in the keys is probably contaminated due to a reef being within a 2-5 mile radius. I am sure that cuda's in that area frequent both the reef and the channels depending on the food available. Just my .02 tho.Cyrinn wrote:bolo wrote:Then basically you can't eat any from what you are saying. The cudas in deep water also have the poison.Cyrinn wrote:If you want to eat a cuda, try one that is not caught from a reef (grassflats, inshore channels, etc.)
Sorry, but there are members on this forum that has been poison from eating a cuda that less than 5lbs. Larger Snapper and Grouper are acceptable to this poison too.Cyrinn wrote:5 lbs. is what I have heard from cudas, other fish maybe larger. The only other species I have heard mentioned to carry ciguatoxin are amberjacks and cubera snapper. I am sure very large snapper and grouper have some small chance at having it, but there aren't very many of those around anymore.
I don't understand the idea(s) you are trying to convey here.
Let me clarify. I was speculating that, in theory, a fish not associated with the dinoflagellate would have a little to no chance at carrying ciguatoxin. So a fish from an area where this dinoflagellate does not exist, would not be toxic.
OP. You have a higher risk eating fish in the keys. From what I have read, affected areas occur in hotspots. These hotspots are not always in the same areas and a hotspot one day may not be one later on. Hotspots are contingent upon a number of factors that increase the dinoflagellate population. Eating reef fish in your area would require you to decide what an acceptable risk percentage you are willing to take. Some fish of certain size would increase that risk and others would decrease it.
A peer reviewed article I read stated that the general rule is you have a much less chance at getting the toxin by consuming reef fish less than 3-6 lbs. It was also advised that eating smaller portions is a good idea, "It has also been proposed that eating small portions (i.e. <50 grams or < 0.11 pounds) of different fish is safer than eating larger portions of any individual fish that might be associated with CFP."
I found an at home test kit for ciguatoxin. Google Cigua-check to find out the details.
bolo wrote:OK. I retract everything I said. It's OK to eat Cudas. Go ahead and knock your self out. Yummy.