Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Re: Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by IM CHUMMING »

nice snook man! did that life guard behind you tell you to leave?

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

IM CHUMMING wrote:nice snook man! did that life guard behind you tell you to leave?
No he didn't tell us to leave. Of all things he just said to make sure the Snook swam away healthy. Which it did
GET THE GAFF!!!

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

Went out there today with Noah (snapperkiller). I went 1-2 on Snook and unfortunately Noah's camera was not working when I landed the Snook but it was released and swam away good. It was around 6-8 pounds. Noah went 0-1 on them and I also got a Tarpon around 15-20 pounds. I got a pic of it and I will post it in a few minutes. Other than that, one guy had a Gog on bottom and his reel SCREAMED. I picked it up and it was haulin a$$. But then a kid named Harley, if you know him, told me the guy told him to pick it up if it went off so I handed it to Harley and he walked forward faster than he cranked and it cut. I'm guessing a nice King but then again, you don't really get Kings out on Pompano so I really don't have a guess. But it was real slow out there today

Heres the Tarpon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GET THE GAFF!!!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

What's the deal, anybody fishing Pompano Pier lately?

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

How's the bait situation here lately?
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

xtheline
Old Salt

Post by xtheline »

Mucho bait at the tee. Pilchards, dines, dwarf jacks, baby gogs and boo runna (Zebco quote). I've just been dying to write boo runna somewhere, it cracks me up! :lol: :lol:
xtheline

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

xtheline wrote:Mucho bait at the tee. Pilchards, dines, dwarf jacks, baby gogs and boo runna (Zebco quote). I've just been dying to write boo runna somewhere, it cracks me up! :lol: :lol:
Thanks Kieth...

BTW I think theye are scienticically known as Bu Wunna...but I could be confused :) :) :)
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

xtheline
Old Salt

Post by xtheline »

Your right Anthony, I believe they are a subspecies. I must edit my report however, got a call, this AM baits came in mid pier.
xtheline

kidfisher10
Seasoned Fisher

Post by kidfisher10 »

any one catching any thing on pompano latetly???
Fish or die!!!!!!!!

Swebob
Fisher

Post by Swebob »

Thought i would give Pompano pier one last chance, Last time i was there the bait wells smelled like rotton fish and looked like people were using it for a bathroom.

Went there today around 2 oclock and paid my way in and was caught off guard to find the north side of the pier was closed with a fence runnig straight down the middle. The pier was still a mess and the the bait cutting board were thick with rotting bait.. I address the to the staff of the pier and they gave me a cocky attitude saying " Its a city problem"

No more pompano pier for me till this place gets there act together. NO GREAT LOSS!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Swebob wrote:Thought i would give Pompano pier one last chance, Last time i was there the bait wells smelled like rotton fish and looked like people were using it for a bathroom.

Went there today around 2 oclock and paid my way in and was caught off guard to find the north side of the pier was closed with a fence runnig straight down the middle. The pier was still a mess and the the bait cutting board were thick with rotting bait.. I address the to the staff of the pier and they gave me a cocky attitude saying " Its a city problem"

No more pompano pier for me till this place gets there act together. NO GREAT LOSS!
Sad to hear. I have some really fond memories of fishing there as a kid, but will also take a pass on returning until the city gets their act together.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Amateur Angler
Fisher

Post by Amateur Angler »

I fished all night Wednesday night and Friday night. MUTTON bite is red hot. Caught about 20-30 shorts and 1 keeper. Morning bite is much better between 5-9am. Snook are still around. Hooked a pig (snook) for a second on my new Trinidad 30 combo. I also hooked a 50-60# gummy too. Broke it off. I was too exhausted to go last night. I got a report that the mutton bite was still great, my buddy hooked and landed a huge dusky shark and there are LOBSTER everywhere. About 70 of them in shallow water. I think its still illegal to keep them at this point so I am not attempting to go out and target them. For the people that think Pompano sucks, well, it looks ugly with the fences up but its cheaper than most piers and has been as good or better than most in Broward this last week. I have turned into a regular there (unfortunately) because I live 5 min away from it so Ill start posting more reports for the forum.

Josh aka Amateur Angler

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

went today from 3-7pm caught a short yellowtail,some blue runner, and a bunch of small jacks. That's about all anyone else caught, except for a couple small muttons and one short red grouper, and this one kid who caught a stingray, put it on the pier then cut it open to get his hook back then just threw it back in sliced wide open :evil:
Hold Fast

Amateur Angler
Fisher

Post by Amateur Angler »

Fished a while last night. I went 2 for 4 on snook using my new spinning combo. Flipped a "slot snook" and a little one. Missed another small and got broke off by a big one. Some guy, forgot his name hooked 7 snook including landing one that was 33#. My buddy Will caught two keeper mutton and two mackerel and a small grouper. Tons off runners in the morning. Can't wait for the snook season to open. I am happy with my new spinning rod that T & R built for me. I was using 15# mono and was handling the snook with ease. I should kill them on 30# test and my 9' bottom rod.

Josh

Amateur Angler
Fisher

Post by Amateur Angler »

Unbelievably I went with the Spheros 8000 FA. The old school one. It "matched" my rod the best color wise. I put a Stradic 8000 and a Spheros FB on it and they didnt look that great. I went a little cheap with the real but the combo feels great. The rod is light with MAD power. My buddy whooped an 18# snook on it when I ran home for a half hour.

Josh

Amateur Angler
Fisher

Post by Amateur Angler »

I can't believe I misspelled "reel." Oh well.

Amateur Angler
Fisher

Post by Amateur Angler »

Oh by the way... plenty of POACHING going on at Pompano Pier from what Ive seen and heard when I wasn't around. Its getting ridiculous at times I guess. I heard someone took a 41# fish home. Awesome. That's why the fishery sucks in Broward. Anyway, I think an anonymous call has been made and FWC will be around more often. I don't want to be a hypocrite. I am not perfect but I threw back 4 fish just days before the season opened in hopes of catching a slot fish. If you are starving to death, by all means, take a fish home. But some people get greedy with the whole thing and kill off oversized fish. Its too much. I complained to the front desk on the way out at the pier. I live close the pier and like being able to drive over and have a shot at a legal fish. If they are all poached out, I actually have to plan out a trip to a better spot. If they all get poached, I guess Ill just target the muttons. Oh wait, those were getting raped too. Never mind. Ill just throw net for mullet, oh my bad, cant throw one on the pier. Im not in a bad mood, just rambling. But thats the report.

Josh

Amateur Angler
Fisher

Post by Amateur Angler »

Macks and Bluefish were caught in the afternoon. One strawberry / red grouper was landed along with a couple of slot snook. I fished from 8pm until 730am this morning. Not a lot was caught off of the tee. A short snook, and some bluefish were all that I saw at night. I landed a 38" snook and a 30" blacktip shark. My friend William landed a 25# tarpon. The conditions were very calm and there was a lot of mullet around. Several other snook were missed and a few bluefish were hooked in the surf. The morning bite (9/6) started off slow with a couple of missed snook (small) and a few more cutoffs from the blues. There was plenty of pilchard in the morning. I had enough and came home. Anyone have any recipes for blacktip?

Josh

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Amateur Angler wrote: Anyone have any recipes for blacktip?

Josh
Anything you would do W Sword. The flesh is similar.

Grilled, blackened etc....many others.

I wrote up a tequila lime marinated shark steak over roasted corn and cactus salsa once somewhere.... Lemme see if I can dig it up.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

found it from 10-27-06...

OK, Here goes....a Bit of Prep work, but worth it....
Remember viniagrette and salsa can be prepped well ahead of service time.

Tequila Lime Glazed Shark on a bed of Roasted Corn Salsa.
(Can Substitute shark for Sword, just eliminate milk bath)

2# Shark Filets ( cut to 8oz portions )
6 ears fresh corn ( Leave Husk on )
1 red bell pepper
1 Medium Sized Jalapeno Pepper
1 red onion
1 mango
1 bunch Cilantro
5 C Tequila
3 limes juiced
1C packed Brown sugar
1 dried Chipotle pepper
3 cloves finely chopped fresh garlic
2 Scallions
½ t Arrowroot ( Corn starch may be substituted )
2 T Cold Water
2 C Whole milk
1/2 C OJ
1 splash WW vinegar
2 C good blended oil
S and P to taste

First soak shark in milk 1 hour – The milk proteins will soften the shark filets and begin to break down the strong muscle fibers.
Pat Dry
Marinate in chopped garlic, chopped cilantro, Lime and orange juice, tequila.
Let sit no more than 20 minutes, or else the acid in the citrus will start to cook filet.
Reserve Marinate.
GLAZE
In heavy bottom sauce pan pour marinate, add chipotle and Brown sugar. Bring to slow simmer, cooking out the alcohol of the tequila. Simmer slowly 20 mins. and reduce by 1/3. Adjust flavor with brown sugar and additional lime juice until desired sweet / sour balance is achieved. Strain out solids and return liquid to saucepan.
Mix together arrowroot and water to make a slurry.
Return to boil and whisk in Slurry of arrowroot and water. Reserve Glaze.

Roasted Corn Salsa
Roast corn on hot BBQ grill, husk ON, until husk is completely blackened. Corn inside should be cooked and slightly golden brown. Let cool. Peel husk and remove corn from cobb ( Cobbs may be later boiled in water and used as a base for corn crab chowder if desired )
In mixing bowl combine
Corn
Seeded and fine diced red bell pepper
Seeded and fine diced Jalapeno pepper
Chopped Cilantro
Fine dice of ½ Red Onion
Fine dice of Mango
Green stalk of Scallion cut on radical Bias

For dressing, I like to use Mango cuttings, OJ, lime juice, vinegar and olive oil emulsified in blender to make vinaigrette. Ratio is 3/1 oil to acid no matter what the amounts, so put acid first with friuit puree smooth, then add oil in a trickle at a time until emulsified. Adjust with S and P.

Shark Filet
Make diamonds on both sides of filet on hot grill. Remove and place on sheet pan. Smooth glaze over filet and finish in 400 degree oven until firm to touch. Will take 8-15 mins depending on thickness.

Serve on bed of Salsa spooned to middle of plate.

I would suggest a nice pinot noir with this dish as the flavors of the salsa and glaze may overpower all but the most defined fume blanc’s and pinot griggio’s, however if you prefer white, any full bodied chardonnay will suffice.

Enjoy....

or you could always just grill it after letting it sit in
Mojo for 10 mins.....

:chef:
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Amateur Angler
Fisher

Post by Amateur Angler »

That recipe looks incredible. I just woke up. Im gonna check the kitchen for those ingredients. Thank you Cookinman.

J

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

today- many runners and a few small spanish macks. I think mine was the biggest at like 18in :roll: . there were a decent amount of snapper at night but none when I was there. Cigs were pretty easy but the macks wanted dines. only a few mullet out there at about 9
BEAST
snapperkiller

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

fished today(9/8) from 6-8, lots of pilchards, thats about it, nobody caught anything while i was there
Hold Fast

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

fished today 9/13 from 6-8 caught a couple blue runner, some grunt, and a moonfish. The guy next to me was absolutely slaying stuff on every cast. He starts off with a couple short red grouper, a keeper mutton, some small snappers and grunts, and then about a minute before I left he ends with a huge triggerfish. Water was murky green, and bait was all around the pilings on the T.Now I've never tried moonfish before but kept hearing it was good so gave it a try, and yes, it is good :toast: .Tight Lines.
Hold Fast

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Thanks for the Report SwordSlayer
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:Thanks for the Report SwordSlayer
:stupid: Great to see reports from this pier...though I do not fish it much anymore, it was my home away from home as a kid. It has had some issues these last couple years....I love to hear it making a comeback
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

bigboyjames11
Old Salt

Post by bigboyjames11 »

im thinking of heading to the pier wednesday night to fish all night, how is the snapper bite? where do i fish for them? what bait is best there? is it even worth coming and snapper fishing? thanks for the info guys, if i dont go here im going to anglins so i want to see which will produce more fish for me. thanksfor the info
only the big and strong survive

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Id head to Pompano if I were you, I hear theres not much a crowd there and the fishing is fantastic atm.

I However went to Anglins yesterday 9/14, 11pm-8am, just figured id hangout with Tommy, Gus, Justin and Roofer Dave a bit. Not much bait there at night. I caught 5 small 10 inch mangroves and let each one go, I swam out a 5lb mangrove I caught last week that I left in the fridge too long, for sharks but no bite. it was scaled and gutted so no blood. (wife went threw pregnancy and I stayed with her for 4 nights forgetting about it). Also swam out 2lb chunks of bonito I got from Gus. no shark hits at all. Coast guard was there all night tryin to find a missing boy that might have washed into the pier. Morning came and so did the macks and runners, but I was too tired to fish for them and went home.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Full Moon for me means stay home - Others swear it is a great time....

If fishing pompano at night - Imagine a straight line due east from the T out to sea...fish your line just to the S of that line and you should be on or close to the reef edge. Anythind to the N and you will be on reef. likely to get rocked up. there are other hols to hit - Look at google earth for a look at the reefline !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”