Anglins Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Anglins Pier Fishing Reports 2008 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by Cookinman »

Boruchlen wrote:I will be heading out for surf fishing :reeling: early (0 dark hundred) thursday morning for a few hours before everyone else wakes up :drunk: . Will these setups work also?
Might be a little light for the surf, as winds will be hard from th N and in the AM I would guess the surf to be up a little...
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

I will be using a 12' extra heavy surf rod with a shimano 6500 baitrunner, with 30lb test. WHat would you recommend?
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Thanks rob762,
I'll let you all know how it goes.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Whatever holiday you observe: have a happy hanu-kwan-mas) :drunk: :ying: :dwarf: :patriot: :alien: :twisted:
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

rob762 wrote:
Boruchlen wrote:I will be using a 12' extra heavy surf rod with a shimano 6500 baitrunner, with 30lb test. WHat would you recommend?
That rig will serve you fine for surf fishing. If waves are big, get some 6 oz, and a couple 8oz pyramid sinkers so you can hold bottom.
:stupid:

How did it go?

There have been schools of Sardines moving down the coast last few weeks - Hit one of those and you are IN :)
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

islandflyfisher
KING MACKEREL

Post by islandflyfisher »

Yesterday:

A few of Rob's favorite fish around in the morning. A FEW. I think 6 were caught. A decent amount of macks throughout the day. Most of them were in the morning and evening. I got a hit on my 9/0 in the morning, but the hook reset in the bait. :mad:

Striper
Weekend Warrior

Post by Striper »

Merry Christmas to everybody.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Went today with dDratler from 0630 on the beach for some surf fishing with my new 12' rod, until 0730. dDratler caught a nice snook with a x-rapala jig quite close to the pier, and released it, otherwise besides for a whole bunch of weeds, we caught nothing off the beach (part of the problem, I guess is that no matter what I did, I could not, for the life of me, cast my new rod even 1/2 the distance of my 7' ocean master).
We went on to the pier, and dDratler caught 1 pompano, there were a few other pimps (whoops, sorry, pomps) caught by others, I caught 1 pomp, but he got off, as I was pulling him out of the water. All this action was at the 2nd hut. I caught 2 spottail pinfish, and 1 mojarra, dDratler caught a nice spanish mack, there were a few caught, not too many. He also had a beauty of a spanish mack, and as he swung it up to the pier, it hit the railing, and it got loose.
All in all, a fun day, winds blowing SSE, overcast, and the water quite murky.
Great to see you Janet and Choi, it always warms my heart to see families doing things together.
Thanks for all the help Jerseypete, as usual, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

My only request all, is to please learn what a sand perch really is. EVERYONE at the pier seems to call the Yellow Fin Mojarra a sand perch. According to the Sport Fish Of Florida, they look nothing alike.
Please see this link for a picture of a Sand Perch: Go to page 12.
http://myfwc.com/marine/fishinglines/fish_id2.pdf
And see page 175 of the Florida Sport Fishing book for a picture of the Yellow Fin mojarra.

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

Boruchlen wrote:Went today with dDratler from 0630 on the beach for some surf fishing with my new 12' rod, until 0730. dDratler caught a nice snook with a x-rapala jig quite close to the pier, and released it, otherwise besides for a whole bunch of weeds, we caught nothing off the beach (part of the problem, I guess is that no matter what I did, I could not, for the life of me, cast my new rod even 1/2 the distance of my 7' ocean master).
We went on to the pier, and dDratler caught 1 pompano, there were a few other pimps (whoops, sorry, pomps) caught by others, I caught 1 pomp, but he got off, as I was pulling him out of the water. All this action was at the 2nd hut. I caught 2 spottail pinfish, and 1 mojarra, dDratler caught a nice spanish mack, there were a few caught, not too many. He also had a beauty of a spanish mack, and as he swung it up to the pier, it hit the railing, and it got loose.
All in all, a fun day, winds blowing SSE, overcast, and the water quite murky.
Great to see you Janet and Choi, it always warms my heart to see families doing things together.
Thanks for all the help Jerseypete, as usual, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

My only request all, is to please learn what a sand perch really is. EVERYONE at the pier seems to call the Yellow Fin Mojarra a sand perch. According to the Sport Fish Of Florida, they look nothing alike.
Please see this link for a picture of a Sand Perch: Go to page 12.
http://myfwc.com/marine/fishinglines/fish_id2.pdf
And see page 175 of the Florida Sport Fishing book for a picture of the Yellow Fin mojarra.
yeah, what he said :thumleft: :biglaugh:
good call with the mojara situation

was using a white jig for the macks. First tried with a strip of fish with no hits, then tried with a long strip of squid and caught that big one that got away :nilly: , got cut off again :mad: , and then caught one for the cooler :happyfisherman: :chef:
fishings only boring if you suck at catching fish

Dani D

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

i was out there today and caught a big mack. i dont know whos who, but i know that a young guy lost a nice mack on the flip. was that you, ddratler? well, im leo. im the guy that caught the nice mack that the gentleman landed for me. i guess i was fishing next to you. :D

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Mojarras are commonly called sand perch as well as silver jennies . Good job on getting the book. Many fish have different names for them.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

junglegeneusmc
Fisher

Post by junglegeneusmc »

HI, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL: IM NEW AT THIS A I AM A NEW MEMBER. MY SCREEN NAME IS "JUNGLEGENUSMC" AND I READ THAT A MACKERAL WAS LOST COMING OVER THE RAIL. I WAS LOOKING FOR A BRIDGE OR PIER NET ONLINE AND I FOUND A WEBSITE FROM CALIFORNIA THAT HAD WHAT LOOKED LIKE A GOOD NET. WELL I PURCHASED ONE SIGHT UNSEEN FROM THE SITE AND IT IS A VERY GOOD NET. COMES WITH LINE AND FLOATS AND HAS TWO STAINLESS STEEL RINGS. IT ONLY COST ME $29.99 PLUS $16.00 SHIPPING UPS FROM CA. THE WEBSITE IS http://WWW.CHARKBAIT.COM . I HOPE TO BE UP ON THE PIER NEXT WEEK SOMETIME AND WILL HAVE IT WITH ME SO YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT TO SEE IF YOU NEED ONE. THE NET IS CALLED A "JUMBO CRAB AND LOBSTER HOOP NET" MADE BY "PROMAR NETS AT http://WWW.PROMARNETS.COM. ITS COMES COMPLETE WITH A 100FT POLY ROPE AND 2 SECURE FLOATS. HAS A JUMBO 36" UPPER RING WITH HEAVY DUTY POLYETHYLENE NETTING. I THINK IT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY. OF COURSE ITS MADE IN CHINA... LOOKING FOWARD TO MEETING ALL OF YOU UP ON ANGLINS PIER IN THE FUTURE. TIGHT LINES AND GOOD FISHING JUNGLEGENEUSMC :reeling:

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Those are nice nets that can be purchased a few places locally for $20 - 30 . I paid $29.00 for mine at Jacks but a few local places sell them as well.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

fishnfool73 wrote:Mojarras are commonly called sand perch as well as silver jennies . Good job on getting the book. Many fish have different names for them.
Hey Fishnfool73, hope you're having a great holiday season,
Why do they call them sand perch when sand perch look Totally different?
Is it a case of mistaken identity? What got me started with this, is the fact that when I caught the fish, and was told it's a sand perch, and I could keep it, I was sorely dissapointed later when I got home, and looked up the sand perch in the book, and found it was a totally different fish. Now, I started to get real nervous, if, it's not a sand perch, what the heck is it, and was I allowed to keep it? Did I kill a protected species? Luckily the answer was no, but that still made me nervous for future fish identification on the pier.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

The ''sand perch'' you looked up is a member of the wrasse / goby family. It is commonly caught on the West Coast of Florida and used as grouper bait earning it the name grouper candy. It is not commonly caught on the East Coast esp in this area.

The mojarra ( there are a few species) are commonly called sand perch or sea bream here. They are commonly caught in ths sand in the Intercoastal and on the beach as well. There is no limit or size on these. In the smaller sizes they make great cuda, snapper, or mackeral baits . In the larger sizes they are one of the best snook baits. They are not a hardy bait and should be used quickly .

In the larger sizes they are also one of the better eating fish , even compared to jacks crevelles...lol. More than a few people target them this time of year on the piers as the bigger ones move in. In all sizes they are schooling fish and if you catch one cast back to that area for another til the school moves on. They have smaller mouths and are delicate biters so use smaller hooks or a pompano rig. They will hit squid, shrimp, or sand fleas.

If you look at the identity book they should give alias names also. Names can vary from region to region.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Thanks for the explanation and the lesson Fishnfool73. Now, I understand. I'll let you know if they taste better than the jacks, he he. :biglaugh:

CowboyJustin
Old Salt

Post by CowboyJustin »

Fished from 430am till 1030am Saturday morning the 26th, http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 32#p113432 was my catch. Saw a guy pull up 2 pompano at once, and met Russ (Go4Em) and his father, nice meeting you both! Also saw a spanish mack pulled up. And a few blue runners and threadfins...not many threadfins though.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

ill be out there tomorrow :pistols:

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Boruchlen wrote:I'll let you know if they taste better than the jacks, he he. :biglaugh:
Boruchlen, Mojarra are truly delicious !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

CowboyJustin wrote:Fished from 430am till 1030am Saturday morning the 26th, http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 32#p113432 was my catch. Saw a guy pull up 2 pompano at once, and met Russ (Go4Em) and his father, nice meeting you both! Also saw a spanish mack pulled up. And a few blue runners and threadfins...not many threadfins though.
Same here cowboy.
Overall I seen about 5 pomps caught and a few macks. I fished from 7am-11am and came home with a pompano. Wind was blowing good, water looked nice. I also saw a sea robin caught with a lil remora attached to him. A big ole puffer was brought up too. Good to see the crew out there.
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Cookinman wrote:
Boruchlen wrote:I'll let you know if they taste better than the jacks, he he. :biglaugh:
Boruchlen, Mojarra are truly delicious !
Yes they are. I just found out. Thanks. :chef:

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

went out today it was hit and miss with nice macks then they left mike and me went to the surf and got a ton of crokers
DO WHAT YOU LOVE , LOVE WHAT YOU DO

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

they were all a board long
DO WHAT YOU LOVE , LOVE WHAT YOU DO

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

rob762 wrote:
CHAD wrote:they were all a board long
Little small to fry up
I think he means 11". Pier deck board. If I am right those are fry-daddys!!! :wink:
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

mulletman
Fisher

Post by mulletman »

went out Sunday from 7am untill about 7pm, I got 2 nice macks around 5 oclock on ballyhoo strips here's the pic :D

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”