Jetty Park "fishing Reports" 2012

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
fishboy
Old Salt

Re: Jetty Park "fishing Reports" 2012

Post by fishboy »

opiato wrote:Wow nice fish. Well I know how much u like your flounder, so enoy it man! :dude:
Thanks, Had it last night. Amazing...

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

no bites today unfortunately.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

actually i wasn't shark fishing at all. me and another person had on half blue crabs for bait. i thought maybe the redfish would be in there by now so i paddled the bait to the edge of the shipping channel. :mrgreen: and yes there is a big F#%in ledge off the rocks..... i got hung reeling the line in and i had to bust the rig off. the wind was crazy too making it hard to take the bait out. the rain came in heavy at one time and im glad the car was only 3 feet from behind us. im kinda shocked that even a storm doesn't cancel cruise ships. :shock:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Im guessing it was being moved out of port, to the gulf. I highly doubt they were headed out on a cruise, it is nasty out there in the straits...

-swordfish

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the report, I am going to be going to the park on sunday, because the weather on Saturday will apparently not be pleasant. Yeah, if you want reds the spot jetty is talking about is my favorite, but there are other places in the park that produce, though not in this weather. Did you notice how the weeds are? You guys think the surf would calm down at all by Sunday? Thanks for any help!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Ohhh, did you see any schools of mullet there? Last week they were pretty thick out there, I am not sure what the weather will do for the run...

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

weeds were around the rocks and not so much as 5 yards out. mullet was think but i dont know how to net them since the rocks are so bad right there. i tried cast netting from the yak but it didn't go that well. too deep plus 5 foot net plus its hard = no fish in the net. it will be calmer by Sunday im sure but surfers will be out on the ocean side.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Yeah, cast netting from the rocks is fun. An old timer over ther showed me a teqniqe but you need a 4 foot net.. I can't explain it but it is easy and you just do a spin launch your net keeping all but one coil of line in Your hand and pull really fast back... When the mullet are on the surface near the rocks it makes life easy... A lot of people laugh at my "baby net" but I have the last laugh when I have live bait lol..

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

I am heading out tomorrow, i will let you know how it goes!!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Fished the park today... I was expecting crazy wind and terrible weather, but I was pleasantly surprised... Weather was excellent. Got some shrimp and went to my regular bait spots to look for mullet, but couldn't find any nice sized ones... I usually find some on the surf bit the surf was a muddy color and I could not see any so I just through off the rocks and got some prime flounder baits! The small mullet are coming in from offshore and when I say small I mean like 1-2 inches... Perfect!! So I netted about twenty and started fishing. Saw some guy catch a nice Spanish Mack.., I threw in my first flounder bait and within a minute I was having bites. Pull it in to find mullet dead with teeth marks. Put on a fresh mullet and this happened a couple of times. I decided that when I have the bites I am just going to leave my bait there. I try this and then I began reeling in half mullets or just mullet heads :scratch: ...when I am down to like 6 mullet left and I take the half mullet on my line and cast it back into the spot were I am having all the bites and I leave it there to try and catch the culprit. Guess what, it's the snapper!! The mangrove snapper are eating up my prime flounder baits. I caught about four snapper and nothing much was touching the shrimp other than a little margate so I decided to hit the surf(all my shrimp were jumbo because I was one of only 2 customers the entire morning at the local bait store and that was at like 12) so I go try my luck on the surf even though it looked like a mud bath, but I got chased off by the lifeguards so I went trout fishing/ scouting found a nice spot and caught two small trout and 1 bigger trout but I let everything go. In winter this spot is going to be epic... Not a bad day, didn't get any keepers but had a lot of fun for "15 mph" winds. I am never going to believe the weather man lol... :dude:

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Fishing the park tomorrow and Sunday most probably! Lemme know if anyone is going to be out there!!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Have fun! Im spending the wknd with the family in siesta key, but ill be gettin a line wet out there. Ill catch ya next time at the park. Look forward to yer report. Good luck.

yy007
Fisher

Post by yy007 »

fished there yesterday. very slow day for a few anglers. netted some mullets as they were plenty, floated them out for flounder. guess I was the only lucky one caught 2 keepers 12" and 14" but lost a bigger one as the cruise ship going out which created huge wave loosening my line with that flounder on the other end.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the report!! Hopefully i will get some too!!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Just got back from the park. Fished from 4pm - 7pm... Fishing was Good!! i caught 4 big flounder and a snapper. My friend who i went with caught a bluefish. all the fish were caught on mullet, and they would not touch other baits. I even had my secret weapon bait out there and they would not touch it. i kept the two biggest flounder and gave the rest of the fish to my friends. I will post some pics of the flounder later, and i will be at the park fishing for flatties tomorrow too, so if anyone is heading out lemme know!!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

lol, i normally fish for longer too. I had headed out with some family friends and we had just gone to chill. i took one rod and my net and got four flounder!! i think i need to stop taking so much stuff when i head out. hahaha. I am leaving for the park at around 11 so I will probably fish from 12:00 to 6:00. I will let you guys know how it goes. Oh BTW yesterday the fishing was obviously going off on the north jetty, because i counted 8 boats lined up fishing it at one time. Maybe i am going to paddle over there on a week day...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

jettypark28 wrote:and as far as baits go..
IMO bring everything you can, because you just never know what they
will take on that certain day...
:stupid: yep yep. i usually have a mixture of shrimp, clams, pinfish, finger mullet, and/or black mullet. nice work fishboy. good luck on yer next trip.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

since im off from school this week, i finally got to enjoy a nice, quiet night at the park without the annoying crowds. i got there just after sunset at low tide, and was disappointed to see the ribbonfish rave still kickin but luckily that wrapped up just as i got out there. water was a lil churned up, but not too bad. started out towards the end of the pier, but it just got too cold and windy so i went down to the board walk where it was a little more comfortable. never tried here before, but i had some pretty good luck. a margate on clams, a big ladyfish on mullet, a butterfly ray also on mullet. oh did i mention this guy..........

:D my first bull red! 40 inches! hooked a little before high tide. kinda surprised with the bait he picked up.... it started out as a whole finger mullet, but after soakin it for a while, i brought it back in and it looked like its head got chewed up by a ray. so i cut it up and put its mid section on the hook and cast it out. checked it awhile later, and it looked like something chewed it up even more. i cant remember why, but i cast it back out towards the middle like that thinking ill change it after i do whatever it was i had to do (i had my daughter with me so she was yellin at me to set up her ds or dvd or something. cant remember). but not long after i put the rod down, the line went out and this guy was on. fun fightin him, but not so much fun gettin him over the rocks and rails by myself :reeling: snapped some pics, and sent him on his way. :cheers:

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Excellent fish! What do you mean by the Ribbonfish rave? Are people catching ribbonfish at jetty park now? If so, are they getting the big 3 footers or the small guys?

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Not sure what sizes they were catchin. They started packin right as I passed them. We call it a rave though cause they obnoxiously light up the whole water with a green light and then throw glow sticks everywhere. Looks more like a nightclub than a fishing pier. :roll:

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

opiato wrote:Not sure what sizes they were catchin. They started packin right as I passed them. We call it a rave though cause they obnoxiously light up the whole water with a green light and then throw glow sticks everywhere. Looks more like a nightclub than a fishing pier. :roll:
Oh, it was the fishermen with the light sticks, not the fish themselves lighting up, right? lol
My wife and I love to eat ribbonfish if we can get one about 4 ft long, so I might go check it out soon. Let me know how those ravers are doing if you see em next time! Once again, congrats on the bull!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

thanks!

yeah, that's right...it's the people fishing that turn on the light show, not the fish themselves. i know during the summer there's ribbonfish all over. just use a light up bobber, tie a glow stick to yer leader, and put some shrimp or cut bait on the hook and you'll catch them all night long. i dont think i fished jetty park at all last winter, so this will be my first winter here. don't know if the ribbon fish will still be thick in the up coming months.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Dude, That's awesome, good job!! I am stuck here In Daytona beach and it is unfishable...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

fishboy wrote:Dude, That's awesome, good job!! I am stuck here In Daytona beach and it is unfishable...
Thanks man. Dont worry...the fish will be here waitin for ya to come back :toast:

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”