Anglins Pier Fishing Reports 2012 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Anglins Pier Fishing Reports 2012 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by bigyellowtuna »

Fished from 3:30pm until 6 pm. Did not even walk to the first hut....not sure about the t. Nothing touched my dead finger mullet. Caught a bait sized mojarra and switched out the mullet for a live mojarra on fishfinder rig. That turned into a very nice jumbo spanish mack. Missed one other mack bite....only the mojarra head was left.. Right at dusk they were chasing glass minnows right in front of the pier but they only hung around for a few minutes. Only other fish I kept was a large enough to fillet mojarra.

Not my fish but I noticed live freelined shrimp also produced a pompano, whiting, macks, and jacks.

keepinitreel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by keepinitreel »

I made it out there on the 6th I did notice the materials have arrived to repair the T. I had a slow night caught one 12" Grover and undersized black grouper and a bunch of puffers. In the morning I did see someone pull up 2 Spanish Macs on artificials as well as a few Jacks

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Big Macs on free line live goggs, goggs were hard to get today. Macs running trough at daybreak maybe 15 caught before the sun came up all sand macs about 12/15 inches. Died as soon as the sun came up then we went to live bait and when we had a gogg we caught a larger mac.My friend landed one on a trolley almost 6-pounds. Slow if you were using a lure, no bottom hits except a lizard........ yesterday my friend got a keeper mutton about 20" right over the reef on a frozen mullet. Huge buoy washed up and is sitting on the beach, it's about 18' long and maybe a few thousand pounds, it cruised by the pier yesterday moring nad now is planted on in front of Aruba's,

Hook'N'BossNuggets
Weekend Warrior

Post by Hook'N'BossNuggets »

Caught some blues last night and saw a couple ribbonfish taco's in one guys future. Didn't fish for to long but at least the weather was nice.

joe323
Fisher

Post by joe323 »

Hook'N'BossNuggets wrote:Caught some blues last night and saw a couple ribbonfish taco's in one guys future. Didn't fish for to long but at least the weather was nice.

Went out from about 4am to about 8am this morning lookin for blues. Didn't catch anything but we werent using live bait. Right at daybreak, the water got real flat and we saw a ton of mullet jumping, most obviously being chased by something but no hits on top water plugs.

Haven't been fishing in forever with school and work but this morning was beautiful out. Just wish I could have brought a few blues home for dip lol what's everyone pulling blues in on these days? Besides livies.

Joe

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

For bluefish I'd use a chrome plated spoon.

^^ Add a swivel to the split ring. Cast it out and reel it in steady with enough speed to make the spoon wobble.

joe323
Fisher

Post by joe323 »

Awesome. Thanks for the advise. I'll probably be back out there around the middle of this week at sunrise looking for some bluefish dip lol

Joe

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

CubanExpress wrote:For bluefish I'd use a chrome plated spoon.

^^ Add a swivel to the split ring. Cast it out and reel it in steady with enough speed to make the spoon wobble.
What type of reel/rod would be best for this?

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Usually when I throw a spoon, I like it to be a little heavier so it will cast farther. Also, a heavier spoon is a little longer in length and that can make a big difference in how close those razor teeth can get to your line. Of course, I'm suggesting a leader here, also. Lighter weight spoons have a tendency to stay right on the surface if reeled at any faster retrieve speed. A little heavier, wobbling as it should, it stays a little deeper and I think the fish can see it easier. Rod; a 6 footer (or longer) medium action, even medium/heavy action should do. The size of the fish being caught will be a big indicator here for you. Check out what the other guys are bringing over the rail. Definitely suggest a spinning reel so you can cast easier along a crowded rail and control the speed and action you put on the spoonie. 15 pound mono should work well, but a lot of guys like braided line. It's a preference. Always, I suggest you talk to the others and see what they're doing. I'm sure there will be a flaw in my tactics and there's a hundred more ways of approaching this, so feel free to shop the ideas around and take what works best for you. Hey, tight lines, dude! Out! :happyfisherman:
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

Slammer wrote:
CubanExpress wrote:For bluefish I'd use a chrome plated spoon.

What type of reel/rod would be best for this?

just for examples sake....i use a 7ft med rod with fast action and a battle 4000 with 10lb ande mono....40lb leader with bigger lures and 20lb for crappie jigs (fluoro for both, unless the fish are on fire...then mono will work just fine..maybe even a little wire if the macks are thick)

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Thanks for the details. Tight lines!

Mike Jeffrey
Fisher

Post by Mike Jeffrey »

The blue fish killer we used in the old days was the Hopkin's Hammered Stainless Steel 1&1/4 oz, & 2oz lures. go to http://www.hopkinslures.com check it out.

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

i used to buy my gog bugs at anglins, but they don't sell them anymore, anyone know where i can get some?
California-Florida fisherman

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

Pat at one time mentioned T&R having gog bugs. Give 'em a call and see what's up.

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

most of the ice jigs are too light except on the calmest of days....
The good Gog bugs are very hard to come buy
Rick

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

The last bunch I got was from T&R.
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

thanks guys! please someone post a report!
California-Florida fisherman

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Gog bugs at seven seas in boca - saw em this AM
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

MUJIBAR
Fisher

Post by MUJIBAR »

And pray tell! What are Gog Bugs?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

MUJIBAR wrote:And pray tell! What are Gog Bugs?
These are some styles of Gog bug's. Not to be confused with Gog jig's which are the same Maraboo jig's used for Mac's and such. Sorry about the pic quality, Iphone's arent much for close up's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

Do gogs try to eat those or do you snag them? Saw a bunch caught today on bugs, but most appeared to be foul hooked.

Very little current today, no wind, no waves = lousy fishing. Did not see any decent fish landed today, but not for lack of anglers / regulars. Did see a pair of manatees pass under the pier heading south....very cool sight. Did catch pinfish, sand perch, jacks, and a moonfish on my bait rod, but no fish caught on live bait or cut bait other than bait.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

They eat them. Snagging gogs is a good way to piss people off quickly on the pier, they spook and will take off if they are snagged.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Don't scare the gogs with your sabikis and lead, large splashes trying to snag them or bombing over other people and basically making noise to see if you can scream one out of the water. Don't let your bug slam into the bottom to split the pack in order to see if you have the wrong depth. Take your time and watch those who are good at bringing up gogs, learn from them and realize it's not always luck bringing up gogs it's a practiced thing. Patience, Patience, walk down the hill and catch them all.....( old Joke about a bull)

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Post by Backwoods123 »

its definitly not easy to catch gogs, but once you get that right technique down its like cakeeeeeee

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

:stupid:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Yeah when they're around and biting, it's a snap. the problem I see is too many commercial bait guy's, only one of which (Rick from Anglens & his guy's), I know is really licensed properly taking 500 a day 5 or 6 day's a week. Put's a real dent in the population. And makes em harder to catch.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

:stupid:

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

i always read posts in here and i look for the like button.. FML

cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Post by cyril1974 »

clarence2society wrote:i always read posts in here and i look for the like button.. FML

I just went to like your post.. hahahahaha.. I feel retarded!

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”