Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
yy007
Fisher

Re: Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

Post by yy007 »

"stop and look in front of you... all that is a sandy beach that baitfish wash over when the tide is either coming or goin".
Thanks for your input. I just wonder you are talking about the beach side or the inlet side?

Gio
Fisher

Post by Gio »

Hey Fisher , I think JP means on the inlet side.
There is a shallow flat like area just at the beginning of the jetty from the rocks to the center channel. But, like he said, I think the big flounders like the beach by the rocks on the outside.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

There hasn't been a report from jetty park in a long time! last Saturday i was out there and the activity was pretty slow but i managed to get one big Spanish mac to come home. He hit a free-lined shrimp right next to the rocks? I found that pretty unusual. I fished for snapper but only got one around 5" long and a small sheepshead. The flounder are also out there. :toast:

yy007
Fisher

Post by yy007 »

crazy flounder? do flounders lose sanity at Jetty party? I like to catch them crazy or not but I like to know how as I have not had much luck to catch flouders at Jetty Park at all.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Flounders r ambush predators that lay in the sand n wait for something to come their way. So the best approach is to hunt for them. Cast a shrimp or finger mullet out n real in slow. In a light surf u could rig with an egg sinker n just let it roll around.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

opiato wrote:Flounders r ambush predators that lay in the sand n wait for something to come their way. So the best approach is to hunt for them. Cast a shrimp or finger mullet out n real in slow. In a light surf u could rig with an egg sinker n just let it roll around.
I think that's the best way to fish! Let the current drift your bait real slow along the bottom if there's no snag. I trends to catch more fish(and snags >.<) that way.

yy007
Fisher

Post by yy007 »

tried for "crazy" flounder at Jetty Park the other day. It was overally very slow. The regulars were there earlier but all left with empty hands. I used cut bait (frozen greenback), live shrimp and mullet. Caught a small whiting and a not so "crazy" flounder, got 2 big bites but lost both due to weak line (old 10lb test). All bites on cut baits sitting on the bottom with no current that was a bit crazy.

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Has anyone caught Ribbonfish or seen them caught lately at Jetty park? I hear they're around port canaveral and would love to go after a few myself, but don't know where/how to start.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

I used to get a lot with a sabiki chucked out with a one ounce sinker into the middle of the inlet, when the Spanish mackerel and blues were schooling last year. This year i haven't really done that but they should still be there?

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Great to hear! Were you fishing at night? Did you tip the sabiki with shrimp or just plain hooks?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

i found they would always start biting well at sunset, but after sunset i don't stick around on the pier, i head down to the jetty so i don't know about the night. you can tip it or not. i found that as long as it has some kind of glow they like it. if you tip it with shrimp i noticed you would get a lot of lady-fish. :toast:

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Great, I'll give it a shot this Friday. Are there lights by the pier shining into the water? I hear they are attracted to lights at night.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

is it still illegal to fish on the rocks at night. not the jetty but where the parking lot is?

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

fixed80 wrote:is it still illegal to fish on the rocks at night. not the jetty but where the parking lot is?
ive never heard of that but then again, i havent been here very much. my last trip there i stayed on the end of the pier all night, but the trip before that (i think it was feb or march), i saw alot of people fishing off those rocks in front of the parking lot and the ranger on patrol didnt say anything.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

i got to sneak out all monday night. got there at sunset on an outgoing tide and set up at the beginning of the pier. caught a ray right away on a live pinfish cast towards the middle of the channel. so i took it down to the end, and threw out chunks of stingray all night tryin for a shark. around 1 or 2am just before high tide, i had a big hit, but it popped my shock leader off. then again at sunrise i had another hit, but im not sure what went wrong with this one. my 80lb mono shock leader was still connected to my 50lb braid, but the shock leader snapped near the base. it was a clean cut, so it wasnt from a bad knot, and i had a 2-3ft cable leader so i cant imagine that the shark bit through it. i could see where the shark's skin roughed up the shock leader (about a 5ft length), but it didn't seem scuffed up enough to break. well, ironically i ended up with a little hammerhead on my lighter gear. maybe 15". didnt see anything else come over the rails all night. the couple next to me had something huge and fast with cut mud minnows, but it straightened the hook out. later another couple had a big run too, but their line broke. didnt seem to be a whole lot there that night, but apparently there was a good handful of bruisers lurking about.

the ray i got. what kind is this? i know its not one of the 3 protected species, but still would like to know what kind.

and my first shark. hopefully ill be able to hook up with his big brother next time.

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Wow, cool-looking ray. That shark actually looks like some cross between a bonnet and a hammer despite being the size of a bonnet. Its too bad the action wasn't a little better, hope it picks up for tomorrow night *fingers crossed*. Hope to catch a ribbonfish tomorrow night!

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

What kind of ray is that??

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

are those rays legal to keep? i eat rays :mrgreen:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

permitchaser wrote:are those rays legal to keep? i eat rays :mrgreen:
hey raul those are legit to keep dont you remember we got one those that time we went out on the boat
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

high five on the baby hammer its pretty cute
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

gruntking wrote:
permitchaser wrote:are those rays legal to keep? i eat rays :mrgreen:
hey raul those are legit to keep dont you remember we got one those that time we went out on the boat
Joey I SURE DO,that thing was delicious ,that got bigger winds ,CUBAN FLOUNDER LOL :mrgreen:

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

how do you clean/eat rays?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Tuftsfisherman wrote:how do you clean/eat rays?

ook u cut the winds take out the skin with a real sharp knife ,and fillet it .then this is how i cook it ,u cut it in little pieces, get a frying pan ,season it with garlic ,salt and olive oil , good chit bro. :toast:

Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Sounds cool. You should try the same with Ribbonfish. If I ever catch a giant ray with thick wings, I'll give it a shot myself. That butterfly ray looks like a B-2 stealth bomber

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

yeah stingray is real good. here's the vid that taught me how to clean em. i hear cownose tastes funny, so maybe stay away from them. mantas, spotted eagle, and devil rays are protected, and there's a limit on yellow stingrays (i think its 5 per day but could be wrong). that butterfly ray was real meaty. was hoping to get another one for myself, but he was the only one caught all night. probably woulda been a better idea to fish other areas, but i was hell bent on pickin a fight with a big shark so i stayed on the end all night.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

opiato wrote:yeah stingray is real good. here's the vid that taught me how to clean em. i hear cownose tastes funny, so maybe stay away from them. mantas, spotted eagle, and devil rays are protected, and there's a limit on yellow stingrays (i think its 5 per day but could be wrong). that butterfly ray was real meaty. was hoping to get another one for myself, but he was the only one caught all night. probably woulda been a better idea to fish other areas, but i was hell bent on pickin a fight with a big shark so i stayed on the end all night.

yea man great vid,i need to get me an electric knife.How do you cook it?.Next time i will grill them with butter n garlic chit im hungry lol :toast: cuban scalops.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Ive only had it twice n seared it with a scampi sauce. But it is a hardy fillet. I bet it would do good on the grill too. U dont necessarily need the electric knife either. I cleaned my with a regular filet knife no problem.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”