Deerfield Pier Fishing Reports 2009 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Re: Deerfield Pier Fishing Reports 2009 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by BRunner346 »

C.J. wrote:Yeah because you need to be hands free when you talk to the voices inside your head :rabbit:
:uplol:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Re: Close the Beaches!

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
fixed80 wrote: there caught in the gulf side shore bound every now and then so perhaps a fish can patrol near our shores in search of bait to.
:stupid:

A number of makos have been caught from the beach by shark fishermen in the Panhandle and in Texas, no reason that one wouldn't come in close to shore here on occaision.
8) You are talking 2 different worlds.

pgomez1
Fisher

Post by pgomez1 »

Went to the pier yesterday 5-11 am. It was very quiet. Someone caught a king and a blue back to back.

The birds were quite a problem. A couple of them were taken to the front after swallowing baits with hooks.I notiiced that the hoos were in the T early on but moved to the middle of the pier (small ones) and were not at top water as usual (I guess because of the birds). They were easy to catch with sabiki (red, golden hook).

Sin the T became a bit crowded, I tried fishing from the middle of the pier and caught a trumpet fish, about 40in. I tossed it back . Someone mentioned they are protected

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

pgomez1 wrote:Someone mentioned they are protected
8) I bet that person was not Vietnamese.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

went to the per today and got a king on johns rod. then i lost a snook due to a double hooked bait. left around 2 and went to a lil bridge and got 2 snook. one was like 16 inches and the other was about 27-28 on 6lb and a lil spro jig

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

fishandchicks wrote:went to the per today and got a king on johns rod.
What'd you get the king on?

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

idk it wasnt my rod but it was prob a gog. mad gogs buggin all morning

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

oh okay thanks

NICK123
KING MACKEREL

Post by NICK123 »

Oscar mayer disreguard no gogs at dfp their all at anglins i repeat commercial thank you and have a nice life. :alien:

jbt12282
Weekend Warrior

Post by jbt12282 »

Was out there tonight from 8:30 until about 12 midnight. Not much going on, the ballyhoo were around for a bit at the beginning but left towards the end of the night. We pulled up one monster 20lb cuda on a live bally. Some kids next to us had their cut bally taken, whatever it was damn near spooled them before they cut it. Besides that just some little pinfish, runners, and grunts on live shrimp. The current was definitely on the strong side. Happy Hunting. :toast:

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

:thumleft:

bubbafishin
Weekend Warrior

Post by bubbafishin »

anyone been to the pier lately, thinkin about going tomorrow morning and was wondering if bait has been thick lately

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

C.J. wrote:That was cowboy justin also know as the bluetooth whale
C.J. wrote:Yeah because you need to be hands free when you talk to the voices inside your head :rabbit:
LOL!!

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

pgomez1 wrote:Someone mentioned they are protected
Zebco wrote:8) I bet that person was not Vietnamese.
I bet someone is gunna report you to the one and only broward county forum moderator 8)

bubbafishin
Weekend Warrior

Post by bubbafishin »

Went to pier yesterday from 630 till about 2. Hoos were around along with cigar minnows and gogs. I caught a small bonito and my brother caught a big one and a mack. Pelicans were pretty annoying and trolley rigs across the t made casting a challenge, i even tangled some lines really bad on a cast.all in all was a pretty slow day

pgomez1
Fisher

Post by pgomez1 »

I was on the pier this morning 5-8:30 am. No waves, no wind, clear water. Hoos were there early and getting onto the sabiki (red or green #6 , golden hook). They left as soon as the sun came up. Later on gogs were around the T. A guy with an oversize tank (commercial ?) was getting them with a gog bug. That is still an art for me, so I couldn't catch any of those even though I had one of those bugs.

Someone caught a small king earlier on a trolley. At around 7, runners showed up right in front of the T, and they were biting on bait, shrimp and squid (not gotchas, surprisingly). A bit too big for bait, but good to eat, I caught one, then the T became too crowded for me as I don't like dancing around the lines.

Saw a guy getting a big bend on its rod. He lost it, couldn't tell what was it but the fish was a fighter and made him walked from the center to the right side of the T.

Had to leave early, but it sounds like it might be a good day for fishing...

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

pgomez1 wrote:A bit too big for bait, but good to eat, I caught one, then the T became too crowded for me as I don't like dancing around the lines. ...
runners=good to eat :scratch:
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

jbt12282
Weekend Warrior

Post by jbt12282 »

The craziest thing I've ever made was a smoked fish dip out of a ladyfish. To my suprise it was actually very good but the bones were fun to pick through after it came off of the mesquite.

I still dont think I would eat a runner

Sure you dont mean Bluefish... although again Ive only had that smoked after it was brined in a dip :chef:

BoBo
Fisher

Post by BoBo »

my friend eats live shrimp out of the baitwell

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

:shock: Wut da beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

pgomez1
Fisher

Post by pgomez1 »

That's something I don't get... Why aren't runners considered food?. They are jacks right?.

Am fairly new to the South Florida fishing experience, but I have eaten King , Macks and Blue all my life. The first couple of times I fished here I caught a Jack (a small one) and a Blue Runner. I was surprised to discover that the runner has only a status of "bait". I took both home and fried them ( I have a friend that says all fish taste good if fried). They are both very tasty. They are small, so the stakes come up bite size, head and tail discarded (or chum material), but good otherwise.

So yep, a runner, good to eat. Or am I missing something ?

pgomez1
Fisher

Post by pgomez1 »

I meant steaks... :-)

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

pgomez1 wrote:I meant steaks... :-)
Yeah, Boo-Runna's are decent eating, very under-rated. But Ladyfish? Hmm... :scratch:

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

pgomez1 wrote:Or am I missing something ?
you are missing all the snappers. there's just much better fish that is out there to eat, as runners can be chunked, stripped, etc for bigger and better fish.
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

TeEnAnGlerPro213 wrote:
pgomez1 wrote:Or am I missing something ?
you are missing all the snappers. there's just much better fish that is out there to eat, as runners can be chunked, stripped, etc for bigger and better fish.
:stupid:
Friends don't let friends eat bait.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Ever try deep fried glass minnows??? :dude:
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

pgomez1
Fisher

Post by pgomez1 »

Thanks,

I'll get into snappers soon (particularly red snapper). Right now am trying to learn the trolleying thing (cast without backlash, fish the bait, hook it up and catch the king/mack/blue, etc). Later on I'll try the bottom rigging for those snappers.

Quick Report of today. Went there from 5:00am till 9:30am. Cold and Windy, Crystal clear water. Hoos were there before sunrise as usual, gogs too. I learned that sabiki can be used to get gogs before the sun comes up. I got a few of them on mustad #6 red/green . After that, only those versed enough on gog bugs can catch them I guess, but the gogs where still there. Hoos moved to the middle of the pier when the sun comes up. (I've seen this happening quite a bit later)

Saw a 33-inches King fish caught on a trolley with a hoo. A few minutes later I caught a Spanish Mac (22-inches) also trolley - hoo.

Later on saw someone catch another Mack, probably bigger than the one I caught, and 1 Bonito (around 25-inches).

When I left, temperature was way better, but traffic in the T was heavy ...

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

great spanish mac

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

pgomez1 wrote:Thanks,

I'll get into snappers soon (particularly red snapper).
8) You do not catch Red Snapper in South Fla on a pier?

pgomez1
Fisher

Post by pgomez1 »

I tried fishing from the bottom initially, but I would get lots of not keepers muttons (Anglins and Deerfield), pinfish, etc. which is fun but when I saw the possibility of kings/blues/macks I switched to that. I've seen red snapper caught in Deerfield once (at night), so I don't know if it is a real possibility or it was a fluke. I know muttons are around but I have not caught any of those. I need to learn how to cast it properly and not loose the bait without getting the fish , which is what happens every time I try. Any pointers as to how to rig it and what to use would be great, that way I could have a rod for trolleying, a rod for snapper and a sabiki/bait rod. Filling almost like I know what am doing :-)

PS: Attached my mack from this morning. Where I come from, they slice the steaks that way to give the impression of a bigger fish (it looks cool on the plate when fried). Head and tail will go on a soup, so that's 2 meals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”