i need answers

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
CHAD
Old Salt

i need answers

Post by CHAD »

ok i wanna start spear fishing and i have a few ?s

um after i have the gun and all the stuff do i need a licence or permit to do it?

do you have to be a certaint age?
DO WHAT YOU LOVE , LOVE WHAT YOU DO

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: i need answers

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

You need a regular fishing license. Not sure about age. Here is a link to the FWC spearing regs http://www.myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Saltw ... earing.htm

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

thanks im look at that cause im only 15 and i dont wanna get in any trouble

BigBoiFishing
With skills like these "Who needs a boat"

Post by BigBoiFishing »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:You need a regular fishing license. Not sure about age. Here is a link to the FWC spearing regs http://www.myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Saltw ... earing.htm
same thing, I looked it up & i got the same results as PP.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

r u going to used tanks

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

CHAD wrote:ok i wanna start spear fishing

:thumbdown:
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

WhoDey wrote:

Why is this you opinion :scratch:

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

WhoDey wrote:

lol...I feel ya dawgy. fishing like :reeling: is :thumleft: :thumleft:

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

WhoDey wrote:

i just wanna start for those summer days that theres nothing but cudas aty the peir so i can go out in the yak and get hopefully some hogs
permitchaser wrote:r u going to used tanks
no just freedive no gear but me and the gun :auto: :auto:

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

Hope you have some lungs & nerves, things can happen down there. Trust me, my father has had to let go of fish & duke it out in wrecks till that shark leaves. Its a whole different story down there :!:

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

oh sh!t i would freak out i think :nilly: but maybe il do the tanks instead but eather way i want to start

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

CHAD wrote:oh sh!t i would freak out i think :nilly: but maybe il do the tanks instead but eather way i want to start
Tanks R a gr8 idea, in case you have to hunker down till danger swims away. My father was too old school 4 his own good, he went through alot scares freediving.

Now, scenarios like that do not occur on numerous occasions, but who knows until it happens....something to consider chad.

Regardless, all this depends on the diving depth. Check in with whatever members dive N fish, they'll give you better details.

Good Luck N God Bless

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

BigBoiFishing wrote:
CHAD wrote:oh sh!t i would freak out i think :nilly: but maybe il do the tanks instead but eather way i want to start[/quotT]
Tanks R a gr8 idea, in case you have to hunker down till danger swims away. My father was too old school 4 his own good, he went through alot scares freediving.

Now, scenarios like that do not occur on numerous occasions, but who knows until it happens....something to consider chad.

Regardless, all this depends on the diving depth. Check in with whatever members dive N fish, they'll give you better details.

Good Luck N God Bless
im only gonna be in 15 to 25 ft

and thanks an god bless you to

EHC342
Seasoned Fisher

Post by EHC342 »

its not as dangerous as you guys think, but you obiously have to be carefull and always have a dive partner...... freediving is the way to go, not only because it about $1000 bucks cheaper that scuba diving, but its makes hunting alot more interesting and fair..... My buddies and i free dive Boca, Pompano ,and Broward very often if you want you can join us when you get your equipment together, we are always looking for people to dive with when we have no one else to go with..... Pm sent...

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

EHC342 wrote:its not as dangerous as you guys think, but you obiously have to be carefull and always have a dive partner...... freediving is the way to go, not only because it about $1000 bucks cheaper that scuba diving, but its makes hunting alot more interesting and fair..... My buddies and i free dive Boca, Pompano ,and Broward very often if you want you can join us when you get your equipment together, we are always looking for people to dive with when we have no one else to go with..... Pm sent...
thanks man i would like that

EHC342
Seasoned Fisher

Post by EHC342 »

just make sure you buy the right equipment from the start, theres nothing worse than having a mask that leaks or fins that fit too tight...i sent u a pm bout that, i can give you a hand choosing the right stuff if you want

Bucket Head
Fisher

Post by Bucket Head »

I would recommend that you get a floating cooler bucket to tie off to your belt while underwater, not only does it float and have low drag/resistance/ it keeps the scent from seeping down into the water to prevent you from attacting possible predators!

-Buckethead :patriot:

StyngRay
KING MACKEREL

Post by StyngRay »

Bucket Head wrote:I would recommend that you get a floating cooler bucket to tie off to your belt while underwater, not only does it float and have low drag/resistance/ it keeps the scent from seeping down into the water to prevent you from attacting possible predators!

-Buckethead :patriot:

Now you need to work on a floating bucket I can strap myself to.
It needs a self retracting rope so I can dive deeper than the rope will allow without the bucket filling with water drowning me in the process. Otherwise, I’d just need a sharp knife to rescue myself from your idea.
Perhaps the bucket should include a painted dive flag so there's no need for the dive flag buoy.
When I'm beyond 500ft-1500ft from the shore and my kayak gets lost in the current what will I do? I will swim to my bucket and use it as a lifesaver. Will it support my weight up to 24 hours when I'm stranded in the middle of the ocean? Keep in mind, I'll be boatless, literally.
After you finish designing this request, I will jump over the rail at the local pier and test it before I get lost offshore. Let’s keep boatless fishing in mind… as a fair reminder, I practice hook and line. Spearfishing does not count for I.G.F.A. records. Perhaps that’s my forte’.
Plain And Simple, Life's A Beach!
ABCDEDBD FISHYS?

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

its not as dangerous as you guys think, but you obiously have to be carefull and always have a dive partner...... freediving is the way to go, not only because it about $1000 bucks cheaper that scuba diving, but its makes hunting alot more interesting and fair..... My buddies and i free dive Boca, Pompano ,and Broward very often if you want you can join us when you get your equipment together, we are always looking for people to dive with when we have no one else to go with..... Pm sent...
That's a little more realistic than lamenting on the old days of hiding out from sharks on the bottom.... Can it be dangerous? Of course it can. Are sharks scary when you have a stringer on you? Damn straight. The reality of the situation is that the chances of them attacking are very slim. Your best bet is to become aggressive towards them. That is swim at them aggressively. This will cause most sharks to at least give you a wide breadth, long enough to get back into the yak if you are worried. Don't ever give them your fish. That just trains them to associate speargun sounds and spear fishermen as sources of easy food. (Dont feed the bears in yellowstone...same idea) First of all, never go out by yourself, that way you can work with your buddy in bad situations.

Don't worry about a bucket if you have a yak, just throw your fish there. When in scuba gear they are less likely to attack you, the bubbles and sounds freak sharks out for the most part. I tend to just string my fish on me when in scuba. Some people like to use bags and give them a squirt of air so that they go to the surface so the boat can grab them.

Anyways.... spearing is dangerous, that's part of the fun. Always keep your head, do not let emotions take over in stressful situations, and you will be fine.

By the way. My spear buddy is out till May. I have a two seat ocean yak, my gear, and an extra spear pole. Anyone want to go out, or can I join a group of you?

May your plate be filled with hogs,
Kizer

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”