Choosing a blank - Inlet and Pier

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
notatroll
Fisher

Choosing a blank - Inlet and Pier

Post by notatroll »

Hi all,
First time poster here. I'm going to be having a rod built and need to choose a blank. It's for throwing flair hawks and swimbaits up to 3 oz at inlets and for live baits off the juno pier during the summer. I'm not sure whether an 8'6" or a 9' would be better. I'm looking at three blanks right now (although any recommendations are certainly welcome):

United Composites GUSA 85 MAG (8'6" 15-30)
United Composites GUSA 85 MEGA (8'6" 20-40)
Fiberstar Composites Raptor 1087X (9')

Thanks.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Choosing a blank - Inlet and Pier

Post by permitchaser »

if you going to be casting none stop avoid fiberglass it get heavy for that kind of fishing .

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Those fiberstars look sweet, but blanks are over 200 bucks and shipping a 9 footer is crazy expensive.

Phenix makes some nice options for this style of fishing also. Just depends on he action you want.

notatroll
Fisher

Post by notatroll »

Permit chased: None of those are fiberglass. They are all composite rods.

Miami: The price does turn me off of the fiberstar, but shipping is $25, I checked with the owner. Not sure if it'll handle pier duty though.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

you are good then ,yup its Fiberstar didnt read the whole thing ...now the ? is how crazy you want to get $$$

notatroll
Fisher

Post by notatroll »

Permit chaser:

First, do you know if that Fiberstar and the 15-30 United Composites can pull pier snook duty? I know the 20-40 United Composites can pull pier duty but do you know if it's too stiff for the inlet?

Thank you.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

The UC can handle no problem. On the West coast a lot of Iron casting. UC is def a excellent blank.

Fiberstar I do not know

I believe it was around 2012 or 2013 UC relaunched and came out with a whole slew of top notch blanks.

You getting them from Acidrod.com ?
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

They used it a lot in Cali people here in Miami don't want to spend that kind of money, I have no clue how they feel , but if you going to spend that kind of money try to see if someone got one so you can check it imho.

notatroll
Fisher

Post by notatroll »

I saw Barrett rods has built a few on United Composites blanks on their instagram. They've used both the 20-40 and 15-30.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

STRIZ wrote:.

Fiberstar I do not know

Same here, its up north. I looked them and read a few thread seems to be a nice blank with backbone. On their page someone using predator 1267 landed a #40 striped bass.1267 is 10'6" and 2 peice can throw lures 2-6oz. The SB-1088 is the 9'fter version. "Notatroll", like the name, never heard of the blanks but thanks for bring them up.

Ron, http://www.fiberstarcomposites.com/art/catalogsheet.pdf

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

SB1087X sounds nice off of the Raptor series. I believe 4oz off a pier considering spoons n stuff is alright.

Other then that the SB1088 has a lil more on lure cap.

Would be nice to get a SoFlo review.

Thanks for the link brah :toast: went straight to iBooks LOL
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

notatroll wrote:I saw Barrett rods has built a few on United Composites blanks on their instagram. They've used both the 20-40 and 15-30.
I would prefere 15-30. IMO gives you more the fight feel then horsing the catch but that is just me. Went much lighter since components have so much evolved. Crazy what blanks can do now compared to the heavy stuff I started off with.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Lots of dudes use those 9 foot fiberstars for jigging Sebastion inlet. If they can land the big reds and snook from there, they must have some good backbone. If you do that style of fishing a lot, they are worth it. Cork tape grips and some titanium Fuji k guides and you're good to go! No need for fancy ass wraps on a jetty stick, but that's just me.

notatroll
Fisher

Post by notatroll »

This caught my eye: https://www.instagram.com/p/x16xVPSz1G/

I think I've ruled out Fiberstar because I can't do $260 (including shipping) just for the blank.

I agree with one of the posters that said the 15-30 gives more "fight" but it'll get its azz whooped off the pier.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

STRIZ wrote:
Would be nice to get a SoFlo review.
Well since you asked so nicely :P
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... ods/page-3
rod landed an estimated 120# tarpon base on girth and length.
pulled the fish out of the current too. Denny was gonna get the 1088 for big fish but after that (he caught the tarpon) he no longer want the 1088 and would just get the 1087x as double duty rod.

Miami_Chris wrote:Lots of dudes use those 9 foot fiberstars for jigging Sebastion inlet. If they can land the big reds and snook from there, they must have some good backbone. If you do that style of fishing a lot, they are worth it. Cork tape grips and some titanium Fuji k guides and you're good to go! No need for fancy ass wraps on a jetty stick, but that's just me.
Popped the cherry on the my new rod built by Ray (Red Sea Rods). Blank is the new fiber star composite 1087 and its simply awesome. Couple pics of the fish from tonight. We beat them up pretty good. Tarpon,Snook and bull reds were in the mix. Thank you again ray your the man!!!

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

You da man :cheers:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

notatroll
Fisher

Post by notatroll »

So I've decided on a Phenix Black Diamond 8'6" in either 15-40 or 20-50. Thoughts? Only reason I might go to 20-50 is because I fish bridges occasionally.

Thanks to everyone.

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”