Suggestions for a new rod

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Jules89
Fisher

Suggestions for a new rod

Post by Jules89 »

Today my cheap Walmart rod broke while fishing the Haulover Jetty. The rod seemed pretty durable, but today after hooking a pretty big fish which the other fisherman with me told me was a snook, I tightened the drag and started reeling and it snapped in half like a twig. In the upcoming day or two I hope to go rod hunting. Can anyone make a suggestion or two?

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Suggestions for a new rod

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Depends on your price range and type of reel.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Sounds like you are rough on the equipment, go back to Walmart and upgrade to an Ugly Stick.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

jack calico

Rathian
Fisher

Post by Rathian »

I use 7' rods for table fish and 10-12' for drum, sharks, blues, etc. You can get a couple Ugly Sticks and use the Shakespeare reel that comes on the combos for a couple of years then stick a $75-100 reel on it and use it forever. The Penn Battle combos are nice too, only knock I have is they're one piece, which is better just harder to transport. A nice sized spinning or casting reel on a 10-12' rod for bigger fish is all you need. Don't get an Ugly Stick for that, I'd get a nice graphite rod. We don't have multiple sandbars so you don't need long 10'+ table fish rods like some areas use.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

krash wrote:Sounds like you are rough on the equipment.
Yes, I broke another rod at the same location...

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Blue....can you name any pier or jetty that you fish that you haven't broken one of your homemade chop stix? Still high sticking or have you perfected that pendulum swing crap you were yammering about?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Kingofthesea wrote:Blue....can you name any pier or jetty that you fish that you haven't broken one of your homemade chop stix? Still high sticking or have you perfected that pendulum swing crap you were yammering about?
...just hard to be someone who I am not... (Rare was already all over me for this)... Just can't making enough rods to keep things up...

BTW, I need to revisit that pendulum swing crap once ribbon fish are gone...

Chasinpoons
Fisher

Post by Chasinpoons »

Saragosa 5000 - terramar rod MH- can catch pretty much anything inshore and some offshore. I have the 5000 and 8000 Saragosa. They are a work horse

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”