Need help with setting up my new penn 50vw

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
statusjose
Fisher

Need help with setting up my new penn 50vw

Post by statusjose »

Hey guys,

Wife just got me a 50vw and I want to try shark fishing from Anglins Pier what line size would you guys reccomend? I was thinking some sort of Braid Backing and mono topshop.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Need help with setting up my new penn 50vw

Post by Kingofthesea »

Nice wife. And it's not that the answer isn't available here because it is. I don't have that answer because I don't roll that way but if my roommate ever laid that gift on me I would jump over to Bass Pro, ask the advice of the guys that spool line onto reels and set it up the way they would if it were theirs.......and let them do the first set up. How far off could you end up from perfect gear wise for what you want to catch?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

That reel is designed for mono not braid... braid backing will cost as much as the reel...

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

kblue wrote:That reel is designed for mono not braid... braid backing will cost as much as the reel...

no it wont

i put 150lb power pro on my 50 with a little bit of 100 on top

a 1500yrd spool of braid will cost around 150
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Thanks for the correction... :thumright:
you never want a boat snag your line...

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

no a boat never wants to snag my line because i will have no problems giving the whole spool
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

One of my funnest moments in the Keys is always when a boat snags your line and you're running the ba$tard down no matter how far .........him in his boat and you in your truck. I've never fished the bridges with you that your line wasn't boat grabbed. I look forward to the show
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

This reel is not made for braid ? I wish I knew that before I landed a 302 and 305 lb yellowfin tuna on one that was packed with braid
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Kingofthesea wrote:One of my funnest moments in the Keys is always when a boat snags your line and you're running the ba$tard down no matter how far .........him in his boat and you in your truck. I've never fished the bridges with you that your line wasn't boat grabbed. I look forward to the show

That's what he meant...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

fishnfool73 wrote:This reel is not made for braid ? I wish I knew that before I landed a 302 and 305 lb yellowfin tuna on one that was packed with braid

You got lucky...twice! (tommy

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Watch it bud....you're talking to an engineer lol. And why are you talking to him anyway? I actually am obligated to talk to him now cause there are dues to be paid around here. Gotta pay the dues. Yours are paid in full. It's like welcoming new members. I do it until someone newer steps in. Although there is a solid group of 'greeters' now which is cool. The only thing standing between you and an endless stream mind numbing PM's is me. And Ronnie. Keeping him occupied until he has to change the act.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Kingofthesea wrote:One of my funnest moments in the Keys is always when a boat snags your line and you're running the ba$tard down no matter how far .........him in his boat and you in your truck. I've never fished the bridges with you that your line wasn't boat grabbed. I look forward to the show

ask greentide about the guy that snagged my line last time me and him went down there
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I think we all do the same thing when a boat hit our rod with braid backing. We say fk'ed it let them take it all

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

fishnfool73 wrote:This reel is not made for braid ? I wish I knew that before I landed a 302 and 305 lb yellowfin tuna on one that was packed with braid
Well, for that monster, you want to have as much as line possible. I also have 50W loaded up with braid... I even had two speed International 13/0 with 80LB Mono loaded up with one big spool in Hawaii. A big blue marlin took about 4 min to snap it (I don't know if braid made any difference)...But those pro's in Hawaii fishing store insisted spooling mono not braid.

In general, I believe the design assumption for the line capacity of this gun big reel was based on mono. And braid line just improves its capacity even further.

On the other side, braid makes reel smaller even for big fish due to advance of technology...

But for tuna trip like that, I will load it up with as much braid as possible (with extra roll of line) not to lose the fish once your life :wink: ...but not for pier shark fishing :scratch:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

kblue wrote:
Well, for that monster, you want to have as much as line possible. I also have 50W loaded up with braid... I even had two speed International 13/0 with 80LB Mono loaded up with one big spool in Hawaii. A big blue marlin took about 4 min to snap it (I don't know if braid made any difference)...But those pro's in Hawaii fishing store insisted spooling mono not braid.

In general, I believe the design assumption for the line capacity of this gun big reel was based on mono. And braid line just improves its capacity even further.

On the other side, braid makes reel smaller even for big fish due to advance of technology...

But for tuna trip like that, I will load it up with as much braid as possible (with extra roll of line) not to lose the fish once your life :wink: ...but not for pier shark fishing :scratch:

and why is that ?

have you done much sharking from the piers ?

what exactly do you know about sharking from the pier ?
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

gruntking wrote:
kblue wrote:

and why is that ?

have you done much sharking from the piers ?

what exactly do you know about sharking from the pier ?
Sorry if I offended, I should've shut my mouth.
I just don't think you need that much of 1000 ~1500 yard.

Biggest shark I caught was estimated 150LB. To be fair, it wasn't on pier.
Well, I know those shark fishermen in Montuak, LI using penn 13/0 for great white. It is big up there.

idk Florida. So tell me about it.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

gruntking wrote:ask greentide about the guy that snagged my line last time me and him went down there
He told me you were showing off for a girl :shock:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

the girls were the trip befor

but i got a nice boat ride and a new spool of line for my 4/0
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

[quote="kblue"]

im sick of you freaking internet fishermen

dont know the first thing about anything but so quick to offer the next guy help
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

I got spooled with a penn 60 of a keys bridge by a bull shark. He never slowed down and I hammered the drag and still ran till the end. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

gruntking wrote:
kblue wrote:
im sick of you freaking internet fishermen

dont know the first thing about anything but so quick to offer the next guy help
What are you talking about? I am usually the one who ask a lot of "stupid" questions, don't I?
But only reason I told him about the reel was I am ordering one too right now and spent a lot of time of thinking what line and how much I will spool...
I just went through what he is going through.

Let's be realistic. GK
Shark is very common fish and we are all catching. I've also done numerous unplanned shark fishing. It pulled my line out of reel crazy. All I want is to cut out the leader and not interested in catching one.
If a shark can empty out 50VW spool whose max drag is 30 LB, that fish is only manageable by a boat. Why do you need 150 LB braid?
The fish you are talking here is 400 ~ 500 LB class.

Have ever your 1000 yard of spool emptied out by a big shark (like 500 LB)? so you are experienced enough to accuse me I know nothing about shark while shark is most common fish. I am asking if you really done it. You just can not manage the monster without boat...
I know how powerful 300 - 400 LB class halibut and know how dangerous big shark is...
Just remember I was commercial fisherman in AK catching Halibut and salmon before being friggin engineer... And very rarely, we caught big shark on long line...

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Kblue no one will think your dumb if you dont speak. I suggest you look up team rebel if you dont think huge sharks are landed from shore. I dont know if you re arrogant, a shmuck, trying to be funny, trying to piss everyone off cuz you re bored all of the above or just way over think things but your constant banter and challenging everyone because you think you re smart is like a festering hemroid on a rainy day at the jetties. I tried and help you out as have many others and God knows how many pms but you re just a pita. Gruntking has caught a lot of sharks i have seen post before i dont know why you insist on being so confrontational and festering. Where is my preparation H :monkey: when you start posting some reports with pics stop with your jibberish suggesting gear when you know Oscar mayer

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Saltydog

Thanks for the advice. I realized I crossed my line here.

GK, statusjose, and all other who annoyed by me (except for KOTS)

Apologize my comments and ignorance :D I will have respect on FL shore-shark fisherman.
Those guys in shark fishing are serious sport guys... I give my respect.
I admit I was dumb @ss to underestimate/insult shark fishing in FL...

I think my arrogance comes from inexperience or no knowledge... that's all.
Once I know it, then I will be a little different.

-kblue

Return to “Shark'in Info”