Sharkin off Beach in Marco (Bait)

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
Tgreen25
Fisher

Sharkin off Beach in Marco (Bait)

Post by Tgreen25 »

I will be down in marco next week and plan to shark off the beach at night. I have the necessary tackle. But I'm concerned about what to do for bait. I will try to catch fresh bait during the day(lady fish, Spanish macks, jacks, whiting, rays, etc) but what if I can't catch any fresh bait. What are some good alternatives to buy at a bait store? I'm looking to catch big sharks. I've only ever caught bonnetheads and some pup sandsharks. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Re: Sharkin off Beach in Marco (Bait)

Post by Sandy Feet »

Probably my favorite bait is the lowly hardhead catfish . I've caught more sharks on cats , than anything else . Eels , if you can find them , are another good alternate bait. Another source of bait is any of the fish markets , where large scraps can be obtained . :reeling:

Tgreen25
Fisher

Post by Tgreen25 »

I've used hardheads before but never had any luck but I've never fished them at night only during late afternoon/dusk

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

Tgreen25 wrote:I've used hardheads before but never had any luck but I've never fished them at night only during late afternoon/dusk
I've had sharks take the cats anytime , of the day or night . I generally fish in an area loaded with cats and with sharks that are apparently there ,to feed on them . If you run into a bunch of cats , while bait fishing , then I would certainly try them , for bait. Any sharks that are there , are likely feeding on the available food source. I always think of it as a person going into Mc Donalds . They go there for a burger , and don't expect to find Chinese. If the sharks are in an area , they are likely expecting to find the usual meal , that they have come for . Of course ,this is just my way of thinking , but it seems to work.

Return to “Shark'in Info”