Raft vs Kayak

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
opiato
Old Salt

Raft vs Kayak

Post by opiato »

This could be a silly question, but having zero boating experience in ocean waters, I gota ask...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Y22BB ... -8&pi=SL75
Would this be sufficient/safe for just gettin shark baits out? Would I be limiting myself to only super calm conditions? Or should I just shell out the $ for a yak?

fishboy
Old Salt

Re: Raft vs Kayak

Post by fishboy »

lol, i would love to see you taking that out in the surf. it is definitely possible, but remember kayaks are self bailing so they are more suitable for waves. if it is calm it can be done for sure, but if there is any wind it is going to be tough. I just got a kayak, and i love it. And you can get some for pretty cheap if you look around... Good luck!!

team fin addicts
Old Salt

Post by team fin addicts »

not to point out the obvious, but would you really feel comfortable in any water condition 'X' number of yards from the beach with hooks, fish spines, metal terminal tackle, and other assorted pointed objects in an inflatable watercraft that is not easily manuvered in the best of conditions. Not to mention I have been "bumped" several times over the years in my kayak... I would hate to think what might have happened, had I been in an inflatable. You can find less expensive kayaks. Walmart is even carrying kayaks now.
Wayne Slusser

Everyone deserves a Finaddicts Custom Rod:
http://www.finaddictsrods.com/

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Saw a video with guys taking their baits out on a boogie board! That raft would be a step up for those guys. If you do get the raft watch out for border patrol/ INS. They might think you're coming from Cuba...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Yeah thats what I figured. The easy way aint always the best way. Thanks for the info

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:Saw a video with guys taking their baits out on a boogie board! That raft would be a step up for those guys. If you do get the raft watch out for border patrol/ INS. They might think you're coming from Cuba...
:uplol:

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I used to use an inflatable kayak, biggest problem was it was so light the current really took you on rough days
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

fishboy wrote:kayaks are self bailing
How does that work? The water empties out on its own out somehow?

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

BEOWULF wrote:
holes in the bottom where your feet and butt go
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

gdm phil wrote:
BEOWULF wrote:
holes in the bottom where your feet and butt go
I think it's important to mention that you are referring to "sit on-top ocean kayaks". Those are self bailing, the ones that you sit inside are not since your feet/butt are below the water line.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

opiato wrote:Or should I just shell out the $ for a yak?
just buy a kayak. not a closed in kayak but a sit on top kayak. if you get one that sits up too high you are likely to flip over. but others that are sit on top usually seat a person lower in the water which is a good thing. you wont flip. the raft i dont know if that best. it might get worn down too much by the harsh sun, shells, etc and next thing you know it water is filling that thing up. you also dont want that hook going into the raft either that wouldn't be a good thing. :wink:

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Good advice. Thanks fixed. I wouldnt have considered the difference between sit in or sit on top. Another question though... I see a very wide price range for kayaks. As you can tell from my original question, im trying to be as economical as possible. But I dont wont to end up with something that aint gona get the job done either. So whats the difference between a $300 yak and a $1000?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

lots of stuff... the More expensive the more features you get. Some of the expensive ones have pedal systems, rudders, motors, and the more silent/ fast the kayak is the more expensive... for just kayaking out baits an ocean kayak frenzy or scrambler would be perfect, plus you could have a lot of fun riding the waves and add a crate and take it inshore fishing. My friend got one made by pelican from BJ's for 250 with a paddle, roof system and seat, ad it works really well! look around and see what suits you best...

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

opiato wrote:Good advice. Thanks fixed. I wouldnt have considered the difference between sit in or sit on top. Another question though... I see a very wide price range for kayaks. As you can tell from my original question, im trying to be as economical as possible. But I dont wont to end up with something that aint gona get the job done either. So whats the difference between a $300 yak and a $1000?
check out "ocean kayak" and also "ocean frenzy kayak". i got a frenzy and its like 450 in price.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

fishboy wrote:My friend got one made by pelican from BJ's for 250 with a paddle, roof system and seat, ad it works really well! look around and see what suits you best...
That sounds like an awesome deal! So would that be a good one to take into the surf n not worry so much bout tipping over n spilling a bucket of shark bait on myself?

Ill check those out too, fixed. $450s a lil more than I wanted to spend, but we'll see.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

opiato wrote:Ill check those out too, fixed. $450s a lil more than I wanted to spend, but we'll see.
i just saw the same kayak i have for 299 and it was on clearance. is that a good deal for ya? if so and your interested i can give you the store number to call.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Check craigslist too, you get some really good deals on there. What I did is used a 30% off coupon at sports authority and I got my kayak for only $300... My freinds kayak is awesome and we have taken boh his and mine out in the surf 5+ times and never flipped. Stability is not an issue at all once you get past the waves, and we just swim/ wade the kayaks out past the surf. Opiato, if you get a kayak let me know, I can show you a couple of really cool spots fishable with the kayak. If you want to test one out let me know and I will tell you when I am taking mine out to the beach. I will probably be heading out one more time before winter sets in...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Thanks fixed. Fishboy - ill let u know when I get one. Hopefully will be soon, but with christmas and my daughters bday comin, its gona be tight. Thanks for the offer though. I plan on takin ya up on it.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

:cheers:

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

congratulations. and those are some good kayaks too. you can even fish in them in comfort.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Died that's awesome!! I think you got the same kayak as me!! I bet you cannot wait to it out. Lemme know when it is rigged for fishing and we can get it bloodied up!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Thanks yall. And THANK YOU fixed for the lead. Cant believe it was still there after all this time.
Fishboy, what acessories do u recommend getting to get it ready for a day out fishing? lookin forward to gettin out there. I bought the lifetime youth kayak for my daughter too. We got to play around with them for a little bit in the tide pool at sebastian, but didnt get the chance to paddle any shark baits out before the sun went down and I sure aint gona have my first time yakkin in the surf be at night

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

A milk crate with some PVC for rod holders is a great accessory. The ocean kayaks usually do not have rod holders, so this way you will not have to keep your rod in your lap the whole time. Also when kayak fishing inshore you do not really need a traditional anchor. A fiberglass rod with a PVC T-top is an effective anchor pole, and it doubles as a push pole. This saturday I am going to be launching and fishing the mosquito lagoon, or if it calm enough I am going to do a surf launch, so if you're free I am going to be launching at playalinda Eddy creek ramp. I heard the trout and reds have been active recently. And if I do a beach launch then I will fish for pompano... Also at playalinda the blues are pretty active so I am sure there are some sharks around. Good luck and lemme know if you have any questions rigging it up...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Id def like to go after some reds. hopefully I can get out this wknd but itd prolly be sunday. Ill give u a shout if it looks like I could make it saturday tho.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Okay, definitely. If not then I will let you know how it goes out there...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Just thought of something....what kind of fishing license do I need to fish from a yak?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Haha, good question... I don't need one till march when I turn 16, but I haven't thought about it till now... I will ask the FWC officer at playalinda on Saturday. I will let you know what she says.

Return to “Shark'in Info”