Michigan Salmon Fishing

This area is for reports from non listed areas, If you will be doing reports and particapating, I will gladly make sure your area is listed, Just ask for it.
Harpmanr
Old Salt

Michigan Salmon Fishing

Post by Harpmanr »

A friend of mine is down for his daughters wedding. He invited me to come up and fish the September Salmon run near Grand Rapids where he lives. I have commerical and recreational fished Florida all my life. I have fished for many other species in other states but never Salmon fished. I will do the usual research of course but does anybody that has Salmon fished before have any pointers, suggestions or ideas before I go?

Thanks
"Life is a gift from God. Fish it as much as possible." "The happier you are, the happier you become."

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Michigan Salmon Fishing

Post by crashmister »

Where in GR you going? Which river and what part
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Harpmanr
Old Salt

Post by Harpmanr »

He said the river where we're going is off of Route 131 & Interstate 196???
"Life is a gift from God. Fish it as much as possible." "The happier you are, the happier you become."

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

There are like 5 spillways right there. The north one is just south of Newberry street I think but all of them hold fish. Dont know how much rain they have had so I cant say exactly how to fish them. This time of year they are usually a little deep so you want to check if they are fishing the rapids or just out of the rapids. If you can time your trip for the fall run you are in for a treat. Spoons buck tails and spinners. Med to Med -Heavy rod.. They may be floating baits deep also. There are a couple of excelent bait shops right there. I will send some emails and see what I can find out.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Harpmanr
Old Salt

Post by Harpmanr »

Thanks for your help.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Fishnfool should be able to help you on this subject. He lived in Alaska for a while and have experience catching them.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

I don't know if you've gone yet, but I'm from Michigan and have fished for salmon for 10 years. I know how to legit catch them too, not snag them like most of scumbags around here too. If you haven't shot up here yet, send me a PM. I'll point you in the right direction.
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Oh, and Alaskan salmon are way different than Michigan salmon.
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

Return to “U.S.A. ???????”