Marlin Mayhem in Cabo: 1/15/09 and 1/17/09

This area is for reports from non listed areas, If you will be doing reports and particapating, I will gladly make sure your area is listed, Just ask for it.
JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Marlin Mayhem in Cabo: 1/15/09 and 1/17/09

Post by JDL »

I took a fishing trip this week with my Dad and our friend Gary to Cabo San Lucas for some marlin fishing. We chartered the boat "Picante Expresso" of Picante Sportfishing with Captain Juan and his mate Alberto. I highly recommend this boat as the fishing was great, the crew was awesome, and we made it to the fishing grounds quickly (1 hour). A lot of the other charters are on slower Bertrams and other boat models that took up to 2 hours to reach the grounds.

We fished 1/15/09 and 1/17/09 and caught 25 striped marlin out of about 37 hookups, with the fish ranging from 120-160lbs. The fishing was insane, with marlin, sea lions, whales, and various sea birds all feeding on schools of mackerel. We tossed live mackerel at the bait pods to catch the marlin. The fishing was highly visual and we watched the marlin eat our baits right behind the boat. All fish were caught on circle hooks and released boatside.

1/15/09:

Met the captain and the mate at the boat and left for the Golden Gate Bank at about 7:30am.

We arrived at the bank after about an hour run to see birds, sea lions, whales, and striped marlin busting pods of mackerel all around us.

As we pulled up to the first bait pod, I looked down in the water and saw 2 striped marlin chasing bait right under the transom!!!

We began pitching mackerel to the pods of mackerel and I quickly hooked up and landed my first marlin: a 160lb striped marlin. This scenario continued throughout the day: chasing down the bait pods and pitching baits. The amount of life in the area was incredible, with sea lions, whales, and many marlin busting bait pods on the surface. Most bait balls had several marlin on them, and we estimated some of the bait pods to have over 30 marlin.

Throughout the day we saw many freejumpers.

We also saw many free swimming fish around the boat.

Here are the pics of the fish we caught on day 1:

We fished from 8:30am-2:30pm and ended the first day going 12/20 on striped marlin.

Day 2: 1/17/09

We arrived at the Golden Gate Bank at about 9am to find the same activity we saw on Thursday

We began pitching baits again and found the striped marlin eager to feed. One marlin hooked by another boat began to greyhound...and ended up crashing straight into another vessel fishing the same bait pod!

Here are the pics of the fish from day 2:

We ended the day going 13/17 on striped marlin.

This was one of the most incredible fishing experiences of my life. Not only was the marlin fishing insane, but there were sea lions, whales, and birds feeding everywhere as well. Pitching baits to mackerel schools being busted on the surface was one of the most exciting methods of fishing. There is nothing that compares to watching a lit-up marlin eat your mackerel just feet behind the boat.
Image Image Image

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Re: Marlin Mayhem in Cabo: 1/15/09 and 1/17/09

Post by WhoDey »

Congrats dude, looks like you had the trip of a lifetime.
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Wow Justin, those are some sick pics and a great report. :toast:

defrag
Seasoned Fisher

Post by defrag »

looks epic

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

Amazing fish and great pics :toast:
BEAST
snapperkiller

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Great report and incredible pictures. I would say trip of a lifetime but that is common place there. I can't wait to head back over there.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

I love those lit-up marlin!
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

NICE PICS!!!! looks like you had a great trip!

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Legendary :toast:
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

very nice pics those marlins are wild stuff : :)

Return to “U.S.A. ???????”