catch the hoos

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

catch the hoos

Post by clarence2society »

i know there was a post about this before somewhere.. cant find it though... what is the best way to catch the hoos....i am heading out to deerfield when i am done with work and I am stoked to catch some keepers this week..

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: catch the hoos

Post by fishnfool73 »

You can use a sabiki rig but they tangle a lot of them by jumping around. You can try a small bream boober with a hair hook and a piece of bait as well. I prefer to use the sabiki method but use a heavier weight on the rig like a 3/4 - 1 0z. I then lock the drag and reel them in slowly to avoid the tangles sometimes.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

get a chumb bag going and you should be able to get them on a sabiki. like fishnfool said, they do tangle your sabiki every now and then.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Bread or oatmeal are much better than a chum block. They attract much less trash fish , houndies, and runners.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Never tried bread or oatemeal, we do throw in a bag of potato chips with the chum and it's pretty effective.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

fishnfool73 wrote:Bread or oatmeal are much better than a chum block. They attract much less trash fish , houndies, and runners.
:stupid: I use Wonder bread.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

bolo wrote:
fishnfool73 wrote:Bread or oatmeal are much better than a chum block. They attract much less trash fish , houndies, and runners.
:uplol:
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

JordanConnorSharp wrote:Never tried bread or oatemeal, we do throw in a bag of potato chips with the chum and it's pretty effective.
:stupid: just check ur PM
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

I usually am only catching them to kill time while others are yellowtailing and usually do the hair hook, with a small(read tiny) piece of cork on as a bobber, and just pick them off one by one. If they are thick, or finicky I throw a net, with the sabiki's I always lose em or it gets all tangled. Unless it's goggleyes or pilchards I usually don't mess with a sabiki. In terms of chum, the more things, the messier, and the stranger the ingredients the better. I usually use a mix of some normal ground menhaden type chum, mixed with oatmeal, bread chunks, ground up chunks of trash fish caught, and anything else I can throw in. I usually mix it up at 5 gallon buckets at a time and just scoop the concoction overboard as I leave a chum bag in the water to keep the slick steady.
Hold Fast

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

TeEnAnGlerPro213 wrote:
bolo wrote:
:uplol:
I'm serious.

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

white wonder bread=cholestrol :mrgreen:

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

TeEnAnGlerPro213 wrote:white wonder bread=cholestrol :mrgreen:
I use it because it is cheap.

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

indeed

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Bolo, how do you use it for chum? I mean do you jhust throw in whole pieces or what lol.

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

JordanConnorSharp wrote:Bolo, how do you use it for chum? I mean do you jhust throw in whole pieces or what lol.
did u not recieve my PM?!!?!?!

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

chill I got your pm I was asking bolo a question.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Simply takes a piece and crumble it up and toss it in the water. The bread for the most part floats and the hoos feed on top so it works out better . Bread and oatmeal also work for pilchards and googleeyes as well.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

It won't cause a swarm of mojarras and sargeant majors? everytime I shake up my chumb bag at pompano or anglins they swarm and the hoos leave really quick.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

fishnfool73 wrote:Simply takes a piece and crumble it up and toss it in the water. The bread for the most part floats and the hoos feed on top so it works out better . Bread and oatmeal also work for pilchards and googleeyes as well.
Jordan, exactly what FF said. Beside hoos I have chum up Gogs using bread.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

A can of oats is small in my gear box and it lasts a long time for floating scag on the top of the water for hoos. I used bread for a while, works great too but I ended up eating it with peanut butter.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

so i should make some cinnamon toast and bag it up then crumble it and toss them breakfast. got it:) lol Thanks for the tips guys....

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

dont waist ur money on cinnamon, the hoos are easy enough to get with plain white bread :mrgreen:

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

BUT I LOVE CINNAMON... ESPECIALLY IN MY CHILI!!!

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

clarence2society wrote:so i should make some cinnamon toast and bag it up then crumble it and toss them breakfast. got it:) lol Thanks for the tips guys....
Are you crazy? Everyone know Hoos hate cinnamon. :D

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

MORE FOR ME THEN!!! maybe ill just buy them croutons or save the ones i dont eat from my salads everyday at work. hahaha

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

bolo wrote: Are you crazy? Everyone know Hoos hate cinnamon. :D
:nilly: :nilly: :nilly:

zpunancy
Seasoned Fisher

Post by zpunancy »

hey guys would throwing the bread or from a bridge like channel 2 ,5 or long key work??..... looking to catch some live bait besides pinfish?...any help would be appreciated.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

I wouldn't count on it. Most of the time the current will just sweep it away real quick. An alternative could be to chum baitfish around with a block of chum.

If you are fishing at night and are staying till the morning your best bet would be to drop a lantern a few feet from the waters surface with a rope to the railing or bridge wall. Wait about 10 to 20 minutes and look down and you will begin to see the bait flashing around under the light. Simply drop down a sabiki and go at it. You will have plenty of bait in no time.

During the day time, tunnel hop around the bridge and look down and you can see runners, barjacks, and thredfins/pilchards hugging the structure and just jig a sabiki to them and you can have bait there.

If you want small candy size grunts, tip your sabiki with small pieces of squid or shrimp and cast out away from the bridge or sometimes close and you will get them. You may have to sort out through the bigger ones or some other unwanted fish but that's part of the deal man.

klepto117
Fisher

Post by klepto117 »

Does anyone know a good place, time of day, and time of year in south broward to catch the ballyhoos?

Return to “Bait Bucket”