Flamingo 12/31/06 Canoe trip

Caught from a vessel solely propelled by human power.
Please let us know the tackle you used, and the artificial. Please post pictures with you, fish, vessel, and tackle if possible, of your fish caught after November 1, 2006
swordfish
SHARKER

Flamingo 12/31/06 Canoe trip

Post by swordfish »

So, where to begin. We took the time to fix a 17 three person canoe which had been sitting at Linesiders friend’s house for a little over two years. After doing a “float test” at around 11 PM, in a canal, with all three of us and paddling, we decided to take it to flamingo in the morning and try our luck at nailing some fish.

We got up around 5 am and headed down. On the way there got a warning from a park ranger for speeding (62 or so in a 55 mph zone) He was a true gentleman and did not give us any hard time at all. It was the most pleasant traffic stop I’ve had to date. Made it to the ramp to a windy start. We unloaded the canoe and proceeded to load it up with a cooler, 6 rods and ourselves.

We paddled out and headed east of the boat ramp toward a dock over the mangroves. At some points the water was sooo low that linesider and Joel had to get off and pull it across the mud. EVERY other paddle we got in a muddy trail was left by a fish that had been sitting feet from us. It was like paddling in an aquarium. Finally got to see some tailing reds and although we didn’t manage to have any of them take one of our live shrimp, just seeing them was the biggest high ever.

Linesider was the man of the day after he landed numerous Jacks, a small trout, 3 small snook and a ladyfish or two. Not to mention the few snappers that he also landed. Joel got hooked up with a big fish which shook the troll rite out of its mouth, it was a snook, but just to bug em told em it was a tarpon… NOW they say I’m a liar, lol but I know what I saw. We also saw a Jewfish sticking halfway out of the water, it was a beautiful sight. So plenty of birds and wildlife did not see any gators or crocs which was interesting.

I’m sure linesider will add to this and I will post the pictures as soon as I get home. Flamingo is a beautiful place, and I believe that the reason we had limited success was because of the wind and the shrimp… From seeing tons of bait around I get the feeling they were feeding on crabs and mullet… I’m planning a yak trip this Saturday weather permitting… Florida Bay Outfitters rents the kayaks for 24 hours and they have the mirage system… So HERE we come.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Flamingo 12/31/06 Canoe trip

Post by Cookinman »

swordfish wrote: I’m planning a yak trip this Saturday weather permitting…
Careful Bro - Crack is less addictive.......lol

Sounds awesome - I'd love to go with, But I am not so sure that goin that far away while the wifey is so close to delivering is a good idea.....Rijkaard may want to meet up and If you post in the Yak section, you may find a few others that will go too.

On my next trip out I am bringing a Wired setup to see what happens if I backhook a jack and put him into the channell next to Joe Kemp Ket and the mouth of Snake Bight.......Flamingo Sleigh Ride BT Style 8)
Last trip out I "Woke up " a scary big Bull shark that looked to be napping inm a deeper channell.

Was the water clear for you guys?

WOW on the traffic stop.....Goin in it is such a long boring ride in the dark, I have done much faster speeds and unwisely so.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Yeah. I guess I gotta post a ROll Call for the Yakers... It might end up being on Sunday so that Linesider can try to make it... Im not sure how to place 2 kayaks on the top of the roof, BUT BY GOD, I bet Ill figure it out... Linesider is good at tying them too, had no issues with the canoe, so a smaller yak should be fine...

Yeah it is VERY addictive... SO, my question is, WHAT IF you manage to hold on for dear life and tire a bull out?

I have had them attack a prop on a small boat so I AM POSITIVE that they will not think twice about munching on your yak if given an opportunity... I have no kids or wife, so Id find trying this to be appealing... Especially on a Light rod with PP and a good leader... Of course that will be after trying to pitch an exude crab to some tailing reds. Man, Im already shaking with excitement...

You know whats funny is that even as windy as it was, it wasnt too bad and you can still spot tailing on the lower tide... Speaking of which, what does the tide look like for Flamingo on Sunday? I would have to get the Yaks on Saturday for an all day rental, so I can return them on Sunday evening after the trip... Will be picking up from Florida Bay Outfitters... Perhaps theres some water that produces reds around there? Anyone know?

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Oh I had forgotten... When I was dropped off at the wall was when I actually got "lucky", in about 15-20 minutes of the sunlight left and standing in the same spot I landed 2 tiny snook, 2 Jacks and had many more hit n misses on a ghost x-rap... It had a little water inside which made it look red and bloody on the back...

Whats is hilarious is that I didnt try the xrap while on the canoe... seeing as how it worked soo good on the murky water, I will try it next time in the deeper channels so it wont hang up in the weeds so much. Again, overall a great experience, and yeah... :oops: I am a BIG guy, so cant really understand why I sat in the middle for half the day, but anyway, tight lines... The back of the canoe was the most stable in my opinion, and Id rather be there anytime on a big canoe...

I think the next time I will get out and wade if the tide is as low as it was this time... Might find some deeper holes in the weeds and u can sneak up RIGHT to a fish while wading... HOWEVER BE WARNED, there were MANY small stingrays... As a matter of fact, we ran over one and I felt the scrapping of the bard against the hull of the canoe... it was hair-raising... like nails on a chalkboard...

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

What are you trying to strap the yaks TO ? There are ways to do it.....
From what I understand in talking with a few of the Derelicts, which tide is not that important as long as the water is moving.

DUIDE, Wading there would be insane - I was sketchy just taking a piss while standing next to the mangrove island just outsoide the boat ramp canal. Stingrays will hurt, sharks really, really worry me though after goin out there just once.....especially after "running over" an 8" or so Bull last time......The water exploded so close to the yak when I woke him up, I almost shiat myself. Really.

You will go on a long ride if hooked up to a 5" Shark in a yak.....A 2# jack can pull you like 20 yards before they tire.....A shark and hold on......
Not sure what to do as I have not got that far yet. I only got my yak on Father's day last year. Seriously, I would be prepared to defend myself if need be...a paddle poke, etc - maybe a mail glove incase you had to catch him comin at ya.....dunno - never did it....you are right sharks are quite vindictive when hooked......

Folks have been successful with smaller white baits such as white storms, feathers, etc - I did OK on a White Zoom jetkbait rigged weedless to keep it out of the grass...But the day I went was the same 15-20 knot winds make everything like pudding out there....you could see bait getting chased but not what was doin it....also could not see the potholes at all :(

Good on ya for spotting the tails - We saw None that day....only clear water was the s side of Joe Kemp Key .......Snake bight was not even fishable in the yaks that day...

STILL had a blast, and would go again in a minute.

Seek out FUZZY as he is a ENP and Flamingo VET with many, many nice catches out there....Oh yea, make sure to ask him about the Bull that Towed him from Commercial Blvd to Boca...in his YAK....he still will not yakfish in open ocean water....lol Seriously though, he is a wealth of yakfishing knowledge about that area, I have only been once with similar results.......

WELCOME TO YOUR NEWEST ADDICTION

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Sounds good... will ask... BTW, LOL Linesider and Joel were both wading and in my opinion thats nuts... Thankfully nothing happened and we had a blast... Although I think he will not get in a canoe again with me... Im just un-easy about anyone standing up in a canoe... a yak is a different story, but u can flip canoe way easier... Well see what happens, now that I got my "feet wet" I have a lot more trust on it...

I was telling him that its very different when YOU are in control of how much the canoe tilts and moves... BUT when theres two more people, it changes and I can shamefully say I was VERY worried about our stability... It honestly had a lot more to do with the gear being lost in such murky water than taking a swim, since I dont think you will find any of it in such dark water... and I for one would not go "SNORKELING" in such conditions... Sharks with such low visibilty are not friendly creatures, especially the bulls which I believe are a territorial species...

just my .02 cents... :lol: :oops: :lol:

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

swordfish wrote:Sounds good... will ask... BTW, LOL Linesider and Joel were both wading and in my opinion thats nuts...
I did it too before I saw the Bull. To each his own, but no more of that crap for me.....

I am absolutely not afraid of much and definately not afraid of anything that walks upright, you can take that to the bank... but I am a lil sissified about wading out there again...lol :oops:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Props my man... there are ONLY a FEW things that can make my hair stand on end... Murky water on a canoe is definately one. Whats funny is that Ive been diving with sharks, BUT on very clear water where they can see you and your size, they usually use their common sense since most people are about their size and they do not know that you cannot harm them.

I wouldnt drain the sea monstar if it meant getting up and out of the canoe... its gonna stay full, IM EXCITED ABOUT THE YAK TRIP!!! Maybe I shall get "lost" and roam the everglades forever foraging off the land... hmm... that would be soooo cool, poop, I bet with all the water there it could take you months to explore it all!!! Imagine all the fish, and the tales... Anyway, U DA MAN Mr. Linesider.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

linesider wrote:i do what it takes to get to the fish... had to get out to drain the vain anyways so....
Yup -That's just how I got suckered into it by my own mind....lol

Fuzzy(as in not clear)
Weekend Warrior

wading at Flamingo

Post by Fuzzy(as in not clear) »

There are places to wade and fish in Flamingo. That said, test the bottom before getting in the water. There are so many spots that look good... but... when you step down, you sink to your arm pits.

I was wading on the sw corner of Bradley and doing very well till I stepped into a soft area. Thinking it was a hole, I tried to muck on through. After nearly 20 minutes of crawling/mud swimming I got back to the yak exhausted. I was wishing I had a partner to help me get extracted.

Now I wonder why anyone would leave a perfectly good and stealthy yak to wade in Flamingo.

You guys don't forget to mark your calenders for 8-11 Feb. and watch the posts about this "event" at http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/6786086413
weekend warrior and seeker of cheap thrills

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

sweet report, Canoe/kayak based fishing in the glades is my true passion. Try going to Cuthbert Lake ( via West Lake) if you want the big boys. Also bear Lake used to be awesome, but I think that you can't access it because of Wilma damage.

Return to “Best Catch: Yaks, Canoes, Inflatable rafts, NO MOTORS of any type.”