GSPPier damaged by 'Ida'

This area is for all of Alabama
Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

GSPPier damaged by 'Ida'

Post by Pier#r »

:shock: BUMMER! :x

Trey sez...
"Alright guys here it is. IT SUCKS! Over 100 of the panels have been lifted or moved, water main busted, down lights are gone, railing section on very end busted off. Good thing is all the damage that we can see is from the mid-section out. Once gulf calms down some we can get under and inspect there. We are hoping and going to try to open it out to the mid-section, just don't have a time frame yet. I'll let you know how the fishing is though! "

"The contractor and sub are out there now trying to come up with a plan and estimate of damage. The panels do just lay back in place, but most all are shimmed on one side or the other. Reason being the concrete beams aren't level when made. We hope we can atleast open it out to the mid platform within a week but I wouldn't hold your breath. I'll let everyone know asap."
:roll:

Like one guy wrote:
Sure this was judt a storm when it hit but the swell was from a cat 2!
That energy just doesnt disappear.
We'll see how long the repairs (and reopening) take... :bounce:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: GSPPier damaged by 'Ida'

Post by permitchaser »

sorry about that it should fix quick that pier is brand new :salut:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

:toast: To a speedy reconstruction . The mangroves should be loaded up under it right now.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Man that sucks, they just opened that pier for you guys. Hopefully its back up and running soon.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

:thumbdown: Sucks! Sorry to hear and see that guys. After some of Cotton's reports I have been wanting to visit my cousin and uncle up there and fish that pier. I hope they fix your pier ASAP, you all have been hanging some good fish up there. Good luck!
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

MR article

Post by Pier#r »

:cheers: :happyfisherman:

http://blog.al.com/south-alabama-outdoo ... ark_p.html
Environment, fishing »
Folks fixing Gulf State Park Pier deserve praise
By Jeff Dute
November 15, 2009, 4:30AM

RYAN DEZEMBER/Press-Register
Waves crash by the Gulf State Park Pier on Monday around noon. Pier video showed that waves began blowing out the sacrificial panels at 11:30 that night.

The folks down at Gulf State Park who worked to get half of it opened Friday and are repairing the other half ought to be getting a bunch of "Atta boys" and "Atta girls" from all of us.

Yeah, it’s a bummer that a tropical storm knocked part of the pier out of commission for a few days, but that was a valuable lesson learned without costing fishermen too many days without access to the pier.

That tropical storm was at one time a Category 2 hurricane and even though it was downgraded before it hit the Alabama coast, there was still plenty of Cat 2 energy left in it. Plus, the waves it generated came ashore during a nighttime high tide, compounding their height.

I’m not making excuses for the damage on the pier because the bottom line is that the sacrificial panels worked how they were supposed to.

They’re designed to blow out, reducing the chance the pressure of waves crashing against the pier decking shifts or cracks the substructure’s concrete pilings and piling caps.

That’s what would happen on the old pier, causing it to be shut down for long stretches of time to be repaired. It took such a beating over the years that by the time Hurricane Ivan hit, it was too weak to sustain such a blow.

No one can say that another hurricane like Ivan or Katrina won’t wipe the new pier away, too.

I’ve heard some of the grumbling about such "a little storm" damaging the pier. I’m not an engineer, designer or pier builder, but I have to believe that our $16 million bought us an engineering/design/construction package that’ll ensure the new pier will be here for a long time.

Assistant park superintendent Trey Myers said recently that park personnel are already planning how to minimize damage when subsequent storms hit.

I think their preliminary plan to remove the 400-pound panels closest to the pilings — which were the only panels to blow out — before a storm hits obviously makes sense. What they’ll be able to do in reality will depend on how much time they have before a storm hits and having the manpower to do the job.

State parks personnel admitted they didn’t expect as much damage to wiring and lighting, but I’m sure that’s a problem they’ll address, too.

Myers told me Friday afternoon that he’d planned on having the pier opened to the first platform by the Saturday after Ida damaged it Monday night. They beat that deadline by a day when it opened out to the mid-section at 7:30 Friday morning.

Myers also told me he hoped the remainder of the pier where the panels were being reset by employees of the pier’s builder, LCI Inc. of Memphis, would be open for fishing by Thanksgiving weekend or sooner.

I’ve known Myers for a while. He’s a pier fisherman, having fished the old pier for more than a decade. I also can say he was just as happy and proud that the new one was built as any of the "old-timers."

He and everyone else associated with the state parks division understand that not only has the pier once again become a premier fishing destination for locals and tourists, it is the engine that will drive an increased revenue flow to all parks.

We should all accept the fact that there may be storms that shut down all or parts of our new pier from time to time. Its design should ensure there will always be enough of it left worth fixing.

Contact Outdoors Editor Jeff Dute at:

jdute@press-register.com

His column appears on Sundays in the Press-Register.
WOOO HOOO the Gulf State Park pier is OPEN!
Gulf State Park Pier 6am Tuesday July 21, 2009

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

ouch that hurts. hope its back to par soon
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

To a speedy reconstruction . The mangroves should be loaded up under it right now.
I'm still new to mangrove tactics...I've heard that they actually move offshore in winter from some folks and I've heard the opposite from others; the bite seemed to slack way off with the cooler weather; so what temperatures do grovers like? Can I expect to catch some decent one's through fall or will they move offshore? Our water is around 69-70 degrees right now I think.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Not sure they would move offshore as the spawn is in June - August on the full moons. The cooler water up there may make them move to warmer water but I bet a few hang around. Rough weather and waves will blow them inshore and under the pier or in the inlets.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Any news on the pier repair?
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

Back in bidnezz 24-7-365 :cheers:

:happyfisherman:

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Pier#r wrote:Back in bidnezz 24-7-365 :cheers:

:happyfisherman:
:toast: Good to hear!
Now lets see some of those kings you guys got up there!!!!

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

No more kings till probably April...water temps in the mid 50's; its supposed to get down to 14 Sunday night.

fiveoski
Fisher

Post by fiveoski »

Any good reports? who's catching what? :happyfisherman:
Life is too short not to fish

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

From what I've read, King's and Ling are coming in pretty regular. Lot's of real nice fish. It's a long haul but I'm gonna be making it before to much longer. There's some really great people up there as well.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

crashmister wrote:From what I've read, King's and Ling are coming in pretty regular. Lot's of real nice fish. It's a long haul but I'm gonna be making it before to much longer. There's some really great people up there as well.

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

Howabout this for a report (sorry it's been so long)...
http://emeraldcoastpierfishing.myfastfo ... t8903.html
john g:87261 wrote:No less than 60 over the rail by 8:30, #r was thinking there were more. Most people had their limit within a half hour or so then started popping them off. I caught an even dozen then called it quits. Dawg made the mistake by haveing 50 leaders made up,I stole about 15 of them.Thanks man,I owe you one.
TopPop:87308 wrote:King Jubilee !!! :omg: by 2:12 pm today 147 on deck, 1 small Tarpoon, netted, pics made, released OK, I saw 1 ling on deck, and several more spotted and lost. maybe 30 Reds. Early AM 7 to 8 hookups at once for hrs, I don't think there was a moment during the day b4 I left that someone wasn't hooked up, the Rails are Polished and shinny now!! :lol:
Pier#r:87317 wrote:The count was over 160 @ 4pm when I left.
I broke 4 off plus C&R two bull reds in the am.

I don't believe the early counts included intentional breakoffs.
They were even eating cigcicles early :omg:
Let em run:87367 wrote:Just rolled in from the pier. A TOTAL OF 176 Kings hit the planks today.
The last two hookups went to Lanier and Wetzel. Lanier's fish was the BIGGEST AND BADDEST OF THEM ALL--------33LBS 15 OZ.
WET HAD THE SAME CLASS OF FISH, BUT UNFORTUNATELY POPPED OFF .

THE PIER HAS ANOTHER RECORD FOR MOST KINGS KILLED IN ONE DAY.
:happyfisherman: I guess you could say 'we are back!' :cheers:

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

man, that's a lot of kingfish!

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Good lord! That's one helluva day.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Post by fishaddict0916 »

No wonder it's so hard to catch a nice king over here on the east coast....they kill them all up there before they get here!! :shock:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Hey Pier#r! Thought you were the samy guy. I've been following it on EC as well. You guy's have the most amazing fishery I've ever seen. They catch bigger king's from the pier than the boat's down here do. And they do it regularly. They just brought in a 48.3 lb king from one a few day's ago. A couple week's ago a guy named Big John (I think) got a 5'+ Ling/Cobia from one of the pier's. Some great people to.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

Thanks guys!

Appreciate the kind words Crash :dude:
ECPFF has a good core following, but not as big or diverse as this one!

GSPPier is the westernmost of the "Panhandle Piers" (being the only gulf front pier in AL).
Pensacola Beach has a great pier, that's where "Big Kenny" caugh the 73# cobia.
Navarre Beach just opened their new pier (1545' long) last summer and it has been phenomenal this spring. They landed a 48.5# king this week and have had numerous cobia.
Ft Walton Beach (near Destin) is home to the Okaloosa Island Pier,
and Panama City Beach has two new NICE long piers.

IF any of you guys are thinking "Road Trip", just let us know and we'll try to help out.
Most of us would LUV to try the 'down south' piers at times! :cheers:

Return to “Alabama”