great weekend in the keys

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
chris21
KING MACKEREL

great weekend in the keys

Post by chris21 »

was in the keys the weekend after hurricane mathew just passed by, brought some live and fresh dead finger mullet with me, hit up channel 2 bridge and a couple other smaller bridges on friday and hooked into about 5 or 6 tarpon but didnt land any, caught about a 70-80lb blacktip off channel 2, didnt get any pics of it though, but it was a fun fight and 3 times had to stop him from running me under the bridge, had him straight up and down and tired out before just popping the line. saturday was an interesting day, hit up long key to see permit absolutely everywhere, the major problem was though the water was very calm and crystal clean :thumbdown: no matter what I tried they completely ignored my crabs. I put out a chum block and soon enough a small school of yellowtail snapper showed up caught one keeper but the rest of them were shorts, as night came i bridgehopped my way south till I found myself on a tiny bridge deep in big pine key, I cast netted a couple mullet and freelined them and almost instantly hooked up to 2 poons on them but eventually they threw the hook both times, I kept randomly throwing my cast net around and it payed off when I netted a couple jumbo pilchards on a throw, I immediately freelined one out and only about 10 seconds later thump!!! though I had a poon but to my suprise it was a snook, it was 26 inches and just short of keeper but I was very happy at catching my first florida keys bridge snook. sunday I hit up channel 5 bridge and it was mutton madness, caught a few dozen muttons, 98% were short though :mad: ended up catching 2 keeper muttons including my personal best bridge mutton at 22 inches and 2 keeper mangrove snappers, it was an amazing and fun weekend as always in the keys and looking forward to being back soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Re: great weekend in the keys

Post by Miami_Chris »

very nice :toast:

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Awesome job! :toast:

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Yo, thats great! I see u got in after the blow...nice timing for great fishing and those nearshore pinkies

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

Nice catch.

Return to “Monroe County”