Skyway Pier North Fishing Reports 2008

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Skyway Pier North Fishing Reports 2008

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

This thread is for your reports.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

6/3/08

Sunshine Skyway Area: The big gag grouper are leaving due to the warmer water, but there’s still some around. The mangrove snapper bite has been real good along with lane snapper and white grunts. Spanish mackerel are day to day. There’s lots of bait fish in the area. Boat anglers are hooking up on tarpon at the bridge on big threadfins, reports Terry Wilson of Skyway Bait and Tackle (941-721-0461). Big speckled trout in the early morning in Terra Ceia Bay. Occasional redfish on the flats in the mornings, Wilson said.

"May your lines be tight and your shake off's and break off's memorable."

http://forshorefishing.theledger.com/

FloridaCub
Seasoned Fisher

Post by FloridaCub »

Wade County Beng and I fished the north side of the Skyway Bridge last night. Plenty of bait around with bluefish and lady fish smashing the baits adjacent to the lights. If you had a 1.5 inch sardine free lined, you would definitely get a hookup on something.

Live greenies, freshly cut greenies, and live shrimp yielded a good 8 grovers for us. We fished just shy of the bait house and it seemed like we were the only ones catching anything. Had a few great hits that we, of course, let get away Smile Next time I think I'm going to use J hooks instead of circles, because you really have to feel for these fish and set at the right time. Then again, all fish that weren't legal sized were hooked perfectly on the lip...and guaranteed a safe and successful release.

outofair
Weekend Warrior

Post by outofair »

I'm in town this week thru Thurs for work and decided to stop by the skyway. Guy at the gate told me a lot of folks got their mango limits last night. I saw lots of bait in the water but only a couple small snapper being brought up.

Man I really wish they'd build something like the skyway in Dade or Broward.

Permit53
Old Salt

Re: Skyway Pier North Fishing Reports 2008

Post by Permit53 »

still open as of this weekend
Fish like its the last cast you will ever make.

on light line 6969
Seasoned Fisher

Post by on light line 6969 »

did ya go ?? howed ya do ??

regulator70
Seasoned Fisher

Post by regulator70 »

their set up to dismantle the east pier of the north skyway pier

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Bonita - I know that the area in general holds boneheads from Nov until Dec, but never hear of them being caught from the Skyway (until I found one lone YouTube video depicting a skyway caught bonita)...Is that just something that happens once in a while, or can you expect a fair chance during that particular part of the season?

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

Ive caught many bonita there. Catch them all the way into the spring. Early mornings and dusk work best. Look for bait under the pier, and just wait for them to show up and explode. They only stay for less than a minute so you have to be quick with a jig. After that, move agian and keep looking. THe move up and down the pier constantly.

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Thanks a lot for the info...Sadly I never fished there when I lived down in the Tampa area (now live near Boston, MA and just got socked with 30.5" of snow...LOL)

phino
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phino »

Late post, but hit the North Pier on Sunday night, bait was there, caught the usual trash fish, saw 1 mack caught, if you wanted to crab, storm slowly came in and the rain was there, waves were getting higher and current stronger so not a single crab was out there. maybe next time!
"A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!"

Return to “Central West Florida”