Fort Island Park, Crystal River, 16Jan15

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
rsmckain83
Fisher

Fort Island Park, Crystal River, 16Jan15

Post by rsmckain83 »

I tried some fishing at Fort Island park today. I honestly don't know how anyone fishes there. The water is at least 6-8 ft deep and that is where what fish that are there stay. So float fishing doesn't do a whole lot there (with shrimp or pin fish). If you fish bottom, you will loose your hooks and weight every time. Anyways, I might try there again in the spring but loosing my gear with every cast isn't worth the two undersize grey snappers I hooked.

opiato
Old Salt

Re: Fort Island Park, Crystal River, 16Jan15

Post by opiato »

Try a longer leader for your float or a lighter weight so the current will keep it off the bottom

rsmckain83
Fisher

Re: Fort Island Park, Crystal River, 16Jan15

Post by rsmckain83 »

I was thinking about those two techniques. It's trial and error to get the depth right. I'm still trying to get use to the few fishing spots around here. I'm closer to Jenkin's Creek and Bayport but from what I understand, those two spots have been fished so heavily that few fish and come there any more.

Return to “Central West Florida”