8/31/2014 eye candy before snook Open

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

8/31/2014 eye candy before snook Open

Post by tears143 »

I am going to head back out there tonight for some snook. Never really fish for them in the west coast and rarely catch them in the east coast... let see what happen.

Started out with a nice sunrise!
If you fish here a lot, you probably know where I was fishing. Hint** I didn't pay to get in.

About 30 mins later, got my first pompano 11.5" pompano! Thinking this is going to be an awesome day!

Hours later... no bite... nothing... >.<
Then sudden ZZZZZzzzzzzz it's pulling drag like crazy. Damn, must be a stringray again was my thoughts. It ran left and then right.. then toward the bridge. It run, then stop, then run again like this for 3x. Once It slowed down, I tried to pump him to the surface, it won't come up... thinking to myself... must be a stringray... Then it flashed at me... nope not a string ray.. looks like a jack or a permit... pumping it up and cupping the spool now and then it surfaced. It's a Permit!!!! I drag him to the middle of the bridge to grab my hoop net. damn... put it too far away from the rail... Don't want to walk back too much.. if line touch the railing, it'll be over before you can swear. Was able to get a piece of the rope to the net and then pull the net toward me. With one hand holding the fishing rod and another slowly dropping down the net with the rope in my mouth as back up. Pull the fish in postion and drop the net down and score! 18" Permit!

Fished for a few more hours with no bite. Then suddenly bam, and pulled it up. This one is a really nice size pompano!

Then the guy that usually fish pompano with me came out from the pier and told me he got his limit of macks on the pier already and now he's going after pompano. For the next few hours... nothing bite. Went home around 12pm

mattasunman
Fisher

Re: 8/31/2014 eye candy before snook Open

Post by mattasunman »

that is a nice pomp you got there nice catch

Return to “Central West Florida”