Jigging for Largemouth

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Jigging for Largemouth

Post by aha14750 »

So I've recently become obsessed with the idea of flipping and pitching jigs from the bank for LMB. I've been using a Pumpkin ed/stand-up style jig head and a variety of craw and creature trailers. I've used blue/gold, red/black, green w/ purple flake. I haven't really been having all that much luck maybe 5 fish in 2 to 3 hours. I know the lakes I'm fishing have bass but for some reason I cannot entice them to bite.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on maybe color, technique or maybe certain water conditions that make jigging more successful. I'm located in the Davie area and usually fish the canals and lakes around here.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Re: Jigging for Largemouth

Post by cantseeme47 »

Been on the same mission with a footballjig and a craw chunk ive have 0 luck
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

As the waters start to cool off just a bit, the fish are going to start moving instead of holding in a certain location/structure and you'll find them in all different depths throughout the day. Try fan casting a floating mid size crank that will swim 3-4ft to find the fish. I say floating because you might be fishing around pads or shallow grass near shore. That's when a floater comes into play. To prevent the lure from getting hung up as it nears cover, just stop reeling in and let it float to the surface then yank it out. If there's a lot of grass then try a lipless crank or rattle trap wtvr you wanna call it. Rip it through the grass.. Works very well though it can be be a bit frustrating.
Now, if you do find fish holding to structure/cover ect, since you like jigging, try a drop shot rig. Works great trust me. Jig just enough to let the worm or soft plastic dance without bouncing the weight off the bottom.. there's a ton of YouTube vids on how to rig and fish it. Plus I'm tired of typing. Hope this helps and good luck bud. Post some pics and a report :toast:

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

Thanks for the advice. I went to wolf lake park earlier and got one on a zoom fluke. Small little guy. I'm definitely going to try the crank bait later this week

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Your using some good colors. It must be difficult to pitch to structure from land. Solid purple, blue/black and crawdad brown/orange are worth trying.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

fiveeight
Fisher

Post by fiveeight »

Flipping and pitching jigs are usually done from a boat fishing in heavy cover. Finding holes in the cover and pitching the jig to it. You are allowing the jig to fall and sometimes jigging it up and down. It is a reaction strike what you want. If nothing happens within that pitch you'll move on to the next hole. I recommend fishing big worms from the bank. It is versatile lure. You can crawl it, swim it, and jig it and still catch fish. This way you don't have to constantly changing lures. I usually use darker colors for dark and murky waters. Lighter colors for clear water. Remember to use lighter mono in clear water. Good luck.

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

I've been hitting this spot called wolfe lake in Davie and it has a bunch of down trees and drop off right on shore so thats why I thought the jig would be effective here. It's also super clear, makes me want to throw on and mask and find those bass myself :mrgreen:

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”