Noob freshwater fisher help!!

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
ermaclob
Fisher

Noob freshwater fisher help!!

Post by ermaclob »

Went today to the canal next to my house to try and fish, but i never tried freshwater before. so the only bait i had was die shrimp and silver side. there where 4 peacock bass, 1 large mouth, and a snook in there all in about 100 yards of canal. but even when i pass the bait right past there faces they just don't bother with it.

what types of live or die bait can i get (i dont like lures)?

also theres allot of thick plants on the floor what rig is good for that?

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Noob freshwater fisher help!!

Post by Jordan »

Live shiners will catch everything in that canal.. but i would pick up a few topwater frogs if there is a lot of vegitation.

ermaclob
Fisher

Post by ermaclob »

JordanConnorSharp wrote:Live shiners will catch everything in that canal.. but i would pick up a few topwater frogs if there is a lot of vegitation.
anything good dead?

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

If peacocks are being super aggresive they'll hit a dead shiner. But for the most part use live shiners. I would buy a few lures though too.

dcerdeiras
Fisher

Post by dcerdeiras »

I agree with JordanConnorSharp, get either live shiners or artificial lures. Dead bait isn't that great in freshwater unless you know how to rig it.
Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry - Padre Pio

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Rattle traps for working edges and carolina rigs for plastic worm running through the grasses. Live shiners like everyone said will give you the most hits, I use the frogs also for bouncing through the weeds and get slammed. Crappie jigs usually get a flurry from the peacocks running them with a pretty fast retrieve and a slower retrieve scraping the bottom for LM bass. Same for the canal snook a live shiner will get their attention. Using salt water bait in freshwater is not a high percentage to get a hit or land a fight.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”