First Bass!

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

First Bass!

Post by MrEnigma »

Finally put a rod on my avet sx and have been learning to cast a conventional (Yes, it's heavy for freshwater, but since I already had the reel, I decided to make do rather than buy a new setup).

Enough ado, I caught my first pair of bass this week, one on xmas eve (about 14"):
(click for big)

And one on xmas (about 18"):
(click for big)

(They went back, of course. Catch and release in freshwater for me!)

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Re: First Bass!

Post by phillybass »

Congratz on the bass. I love bass fishing and where I'm moving to in Lantana has a lake in the community so I'll be out there hitting it everyday. I have 5 or 6 bass rods. I use both spinning and baitcasters. Hope you catch many more. :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman:
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Congrats on first bass Enigma but quick question : how do you fish your spinner bait?? I've been trying to get a fish on one but no luck yet... lmk

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

I cast and then either a) slow retrieve at a steady pace a little below the surface (sometimes a little bit deeper if the water is deeper), just fast enough to maintain a constant depth or b) vary the retrieve/twitch the rod so that the fish replica part climbs and accelerates a bit then dives again, but either way I'm always retrieving while I do so the blades continue spinning.

I don't know if those are the best methods, but its what I culled from YouTube and seems to work OK so far.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Its been so annoying for me because that's what I do and I don't get anything except off the worm

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

There are a lot of good resources findable via Google like this one:

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/spinnerbaits.html

I used them to teach myself, since my only other experience in freshwater was worm/bread +bobber for bluegills as a little kid.

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”