fishing with a 2 foot fishing rod

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: fishing with a 2 foot fishing rod

Post by Kingofthesea »

You're such a funny kid. Tell me you're looking for that shark again with the 2' setup :happyfisherman:
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I've been fishing snook w/a 4000 series reel w/15lb braid from Dania all week which I personally consider to be very light considering the structural challenges and the size of the fish that have been around lately. Even with the lighter setup I fish a pretty long rod with a stiff backbone so I can whip the fish as fast as I can. I'd say it's a respectable balance between being sporty and catching them fast enough I can release them healthy. Long exhausting fights are bad for fish, and if you are intending to release them like big female snook in the summer time, faster is better.

I'd recommend sizing your gear for the type of fishing you are doing. I can't think of too many ocean dwelling fish worth fishing for that your 2 ft rod would be suitable for. If anything get a 3000 series ci4 reel on a medium action rod and load it with 10lbs power pro. At least with that rig you can put a respectable fight on a decent fish while playing out the small ones.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Snappers would be a blast on that rod! I usually start switching setups once they get over 35" as they're a bear to stop from going under the pilings without heavier tackle.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Caught a 5lb bass on a spiderman once lol.
Fish Crazy

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

50-60 lb tarpon leadered after 40 minute fight. Here's the footage I got before the GoPro battery died.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Post those pics, would love to see them.
Fish Crazy

mackadaysmoker
Weekend Warrior

Post by mackadaysmoker »

I fish for bass everyday with a 4 foot rod. Biggest fish was about 4-6 lbs

mackadaysmoker
Weekend Warrior

Post by mackadaysmoker »

mackadaysmoker
Weekend Warrior

Post by mackadaysmoker »

caught my first snakehead today and this bass. Released the bass.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

At long last you made it to photobucket. Now, we just got to work on your size pics and quality...Nice Bass

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

mackadaysmoker wrote:caught my first snakehead today and this bass. Released the bass.

NiceI I usually only catch snakehead with hardbaits, never worms. The will watch the worm swim or jerk right by. Did you land it on top of him?

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

Slammer wrote:
mackadaysmoker wrote:caught my first snakehead today and this bass. Released the bass.

NiceI I usually only catch snakehead with hardbaits, never worms. The will watch the worm swim or jerk right by. Did you land it on top of him?
Are you trying to target snakehead? If you are a plastic frog bait and a 5/0 Gamkatsu wide gap hook are the way to go. I personally like the Basspro shops humpin toad because they are heavy, but I've used ribbit toads and a few other brands.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Fished those for decades up North through a 9" hole in 18" of ice. Same set up we used for tip ups. Ultra light for pan fish all the way up to extra heavy for Northern Pike.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

Nice catches

mackadaysmoker
Weekend Warrior

Post by mackadaysmoker »

I was fishing for bass when I caught the snakehead. The snakehead hit the worm as soon as it hit the water.

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

nice pea right there, heard the bite has been on fire recently, sucks that i have been working so much and cant go fishing during the work day like i was during the summer

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

You do know what you have in your hands, right? Wonder what kind of plecostomus fish that is.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

I think its a hypostomas . Unless you have a huge tank no buisness owning one thats why they end up in canals

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Gold nugget pleco, zebra ,redtail leopardus Pleco are cool, Scotty. You are aright, Scotty...when they buy them they just dont know how big they do get when they move on to the next hobbty. So our near by canals and lakes are now their homes.

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

The lake around where I'll be staying has them if its the same fish they have very hard large scales.
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Rare wrote:Gold nugget pleco, zebra ,redtail leopardus Pleco are cool, Scotty. You are aright, Scotty...when they buy them they just dont know how big they do get when they move on to the next hobbty. So our near by canals and lakes are now their homes.
I agree love the zebras also like bristel nose. Zebras if i had 200 to spend on one fresh water fish i guess that would be it. I have 6 otocinclus in my tank they only get a couple inches great algae eaters and they look like little cobia. People are such shmucks and the people that work in pet stores are clueless and dont tell people anything when they buy fish. I watched a petsmart employee tell a customer that plecos take nitrates out of the water so no need to cycle lmao

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

phillybass wrote:The lake around where I'll be staying has them if its the same fish they have very hard large scales.

That might be them...others names they go by are, armored suckefish, amored catfish, sucker fish etc. The most common are well the common pelco and that's what you find here I our lakes and ponds. I had one when I was younger and I gave it to my friend who got me in the hobby as i was going to take it back to the fish store I bought it from. He had a gold fish pond. When a few years went by, he told me to come by so he could show me something. Fred (RIP) said them turtles (T.M.N.T) got nothing on your pleco. Must have been 12-14 inch when he pulled them out..

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-experts ... ament.aspx

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

SaltyDog wrote:I watched a petsmart employee tell a customer that plecos take nitrates out of the water so no need to cycle lmao
No fking way...lol...speaking of which my african cichlids won't let me grow the nice green algae for the look I'm going for on the rocks. They love eating it

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

miguel456 wrote:
SaltyDog wrote:I think its a hypostomas . Unless you have a huge tank no buisness owning one thats why they end up in canals
You need at least a 200 gallon aquarium to have these fish long term.They are a great fish to have for large aquariums.
Did you eat it?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
miguel456 wrote:
SaltyDog wrote:I think its a hypostomas . Unless you have a huge tank no buisness owning one thats why they end up in canals
You need at least a 200 gallon aquarium to have these fish long term.They are a great fish to have for large aquariums.
Did you eat it?
I remember I saw this fish in aquarium in Chinese restaurant, called silver pond. BTW, this is really food restaurant...
the fish was about 4 inch... I recall (I might be wrong) the number of fish in aquarium vary whenever I visit... probably :chef:

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Funny you say that. I went to that place last week to try out and the chicken came out still raw. I haven't had any good asian food here in south florida yet compared to CA, GA, and TX.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

linh wrote:Funny you say that. I went to that place last week to try out and the chicken came out still raw. I haven't had any good asian food here in south florida yet compared to CA, GA, and TX.
I didn't know they have chicken sushi roll? lol

Silver Pond serves traditional Hong Kong Chinese food unlike Americanized Chinese food...one of busiest rest in town.. It also means you really need to know what you are ordering...Otherwise, we may be eating some pleco from aquarium or sitting ducks from parking lot (just kidding)... You either love it or hate it.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

linh wrote: I haven't had any good asian food here in south florida yet compared to CA, GA, and TX.
Stop ordering from the "round eye menu."

Migs, will you eat a pelco if it was aquarium raised or more up north?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Maybe farm raised pelco for food consumption might be a winning ticket. :chef:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

miguel456 wrote: You are kidding about eating the sitting ducks in the parking lot.
And I was also kidding about pelco simply because it is authentic hong kong restaurant...

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”