Page 1 of 1

Peacocks

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am
by Baitfish
I slipped away from work early enough on Wednesday to get down to the canal and pick off a few peas. It was late in the day so the bite was slow, but I still got five. Three in the 12-14" slot with a couple of dinks.

This weekend, I wanted to try again for some of the jack action from Monday, but the weather did not permit. I don't know if the surf lived up to the forecast, but 15-20 mph wind and 3-5' waves are not worth the drive. I decided to go in search of Peacocks at some new spots I've been eyeballin'. First I tried a small quarry lake in the middle of a local business park. Most of it is fenced, but one small spot has a nice cove and convenient parking. First glance showed no signs of life, but a friskey shiner had everyone coming out for a look. A little work got a small largemouth and a nice Peacock. There was a much nicer pea that I just couldn't get to bite. Things got slow, so on to the next spot. Google Earth showed a promising canal behind the local Lowes. And nice it was. Plenty of parking at the canal's edge, lots of trees for shade and lots of cover for fish. The canals are pretty low now and the water is clear after the rain and this seemed to have the fish a little wary, but I bagged two more here. After it slowed down at the Lowes canal, I decided to finish the day at my usual spot. It was getting late and the bite had been slow anyways, so I wasn't expecting too much. My hot spot wasn't as frantic as it usually is, but I still bagged another five with two very nice 17 inchers.

These are the five from Wednesday.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

These are the 8 from today.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Peacocks

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:41 pm
by BIohazard685
Nice catch!

The wind has been brutal the past couple of days.

Re: Peacocks

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:00 pm
by Swordslayer71
I think you definitely have peacocks dialed in. :toast:

Re: Peacocks

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:52 am
by bigseank22
what have u been catching those on?

Re: Peacocks

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:02 pm
by sepaik
Nice job! :cheers:

Re: Peacocks

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 pm
by Baitfish
bigseank22 wrote:what have u been catching those on?
Any artificial minnow can entice a strike, but for a sure thing, nothing beats a bucket of shiners.