Mexico Beach (Near Panama City) Sept. report

Escambia - Pensacola - West Pensacola, Santa Rosa - Munson - Bagdad - Oriole Beach, Okaloosa - Destin - Fort Walton Beach, Walton - Paxton - De Funiak Springs - Miramar Beach, Holmes, Washington, Bay - Panama City - Panama City Beach, Jackson, Calhoun, Liberty, Gulf - Port St. Joe, Franklin - Apalachicola - Lanark Village
salvadorsanchez
Old Salt

Mexico Beach (Near Panama City) Sept. report

Post by salvadorsanchez »

Went to Mexico Beach Sept 18, 19th. Got to the pier Friday Night and caught a few pinfish for bait. Night fishing on THAT pier is way overrated. One, too many drunks. Guy asked me for a beer, I said, Sure, no problem, he had no idea it was Coors Non alcoholic. Anyway, nobody caught much except hardheads and a few runs that the drunk pier hogs were never gonna land with the wal mart specials.

Went to the pier Sat at 6AM. In the last 3 trips, morning time around 10AM has produced the most fish. Caught 3 Atlantic Sharpnose sharks all were released. 2 caught off lady fish , one off a butterflied pinfish. Caught two macks off Gulp shrimp, jigging using the red head. Me and a guy I met caught all the ladyfish you could stand off the gulp. Had one good run and he escaped my circle hook, God knows how and made a change to my Penn 550SS and added 50lb braid to it. Had my drag set fairly lose and had a HUGE hit and snapped the braid like it was nothing. Apparently I didnt have it loose enough, in my rod holder on my beach cart. While reeling in the sharks and letting them tire a bit at the end of the pier saw 8 or so HUGE sheepheads, at least 5 pounds each coming up to investigate. There's a creek near our house with loads of fiddler crabs that I will try next time. I couldnt get the shrimp I had past the pinfish for the sheephead so will use the crabs for them next month.

Sunday went to the beach with wife and kid. Same thing as last 3 times. Only 2 whiting caught and nothinbg but pinfish and a blue runner off shrimp. In 25 years I've NEVER known the panhandle not to produce all the Whiting you could catch until this.

Jay
"I had to punch him, he was starting to make sense"

snapper slayer
Weekend Warrior

Re: Mexico Beach (Near Panama City) Sept. report

Post by snapper slayer »

how big were the sharks
good luck with the sheepies :clown:

snapper slayer
Weekend Warrior

Re: Mexico Beach (Near Panama City) Sept. report

Post by snapper slayer »