Seasoned Fisher

Fly fishing !

Post by acid832 »

Who can throw a fly on here?

johnzabeasts
Fisher

Re: Fly fishing !

Post by johnzabeasts »

I can! I like it more than spin since I started in March. I'm obviously no pro but I can hold my own.

acid832
Seasoned Fisher

Post by acid832 »

What do u throw?

johnzabeasts
Fisher

Post by johnzabeasts »

If you're referring to rod and reel I use a redington pursuit for the rod and reel. It's an 8wt. Nothing fancy or spectacular but it's pretty good for the money. Once I can hit targets with pin point accuracy in my sleep then I'll probably upgrade.

acid832
Seasoned Fisher

Post by acid832 »

Hell yeah that's a wicked setup, I use a pursit with an FWX 8 wt. that is a fancy setup! It's bad ass.. I like it better than te BVK .

johnzabeasts
Fisher

Post by johnzabeasts »

That's sweet! And I heard the bvk is good however it's known for breaking pretty often. I've been looking at the FWX it looks awesome. How do you like yours? For my next set up I was thinking about a tfo mangrove rod and the nautilus fwx probably another 8wt.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I hold my own as well, although mostly been with Peacocks so far due to lack of true good "fly" spots from land. I am rolling with a TFO pro II and a redington reel. I love it, and I can fling anything a mile.

-swordfish

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Orvis custom rod with a redington rise. I have to say the rise is a solid reel
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

johnzabeasts
Fisher

Post by johnzabeasts »

Yeah I know what you mean about "fly spots" there just aren't too many fly fishing friendly saltwater spots in broward. I've just been fishing freshwater canals and such so far. The only thing I can think of otherwise is beaches for snook but its been pretty rough so far this summer. If its not blowing like crazy then you're getting baptized by the rain.

acid832
Seasoned Fisher

Post by acid832 »

The FWX is nice and smooth.. For like bones and fish like that that require a smooth drag it's great . However for what I primarily fish for , reds , there fights are tough hard short burst of power. The FWX isn't so great. The Galvan or orvis are much better for that. Even the reddington reels have a lil bit more stopping balls .

There are a bunch of fly spots from land in dade and broward .. You gotta put in the time . !!
Trust me there there . As long ad ur at the right place right time there will be fish.. Fishing is all about matching patterns .. And a lil luck!!

Look for colverts , spillways , wading areas stuff like that..

I can think of 4 right now off te top of my head that on the right tide there is bones , permit
Tailing 100ft from the shore. And the peeps that have been fishing it recently said reports of reds!! And that's only down here in Miami ..

Another thing you guys need to do is have the right pattern of fly on as well on knowing how to feed a fish properly( different fish require diffrent stripping and hook set methods)

They are there Go getum!!!

johnzabeasts
Fisher

Post by johnzabeasts »

Too bad I live in North Broward pretty much on the county line between broward and palm beach. There really aren't any flats here to fish. Down in Miami while I was there for the day it seemed like there were so many more opportunities to fly fish. And I've thought about fishing spillways with my fly rod before but the one I fish is hillsboro and that's not exactly fly fishing friendly on foot. But I have been looking, every night before bed I go on google earth and look for promising areas that I want to try. I have a couple saved but accessing them is a bit difficult when you aren't old enough to drive and you need mom or dad to take you.

Nico Jones
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Nico Jones »

Nautilus is constantly improving their designs, and have since fixed the issues with the drag. I have caught a bunch of bones on mine without any issues. The only time I had a problem was if you try to put some heat on a big redfish with the drag too tight it'll act up. And that was only after water got into the drag housing. Initially, it only had one o-ring on the shaft. If the reel was submerged, and not washed off immediately, it would crust on the shaft and cause the issue. But they have since changed their shaft and went to a two o-ring setup that has solved the issue. I cranked my drag down a couple weeks ago on my 7wt on a big red that got me into my backing and was able to turn it with no problems, and the reel is in perfect shape.

I also have several Orvis reels, and a Galvan. Have had ZERO issues with those. But for whatever reason, I still like my FWX best, even after having issues on it twice.

With that said, I started off with a cheap $60 Reddington "RedFly2" reel and caught plenty of bones/reds/snook/tarpon on that without any issues at all.
EstradaArt.com

Return to “Dade County”