Best Tasting Fish

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
gatorkong
Seasoned Fisher

Cooking

Post by gatorkong »

Baked hogfish. Melted real butter and fresh lemon juice to serve. The meat will melt in your mouth . Light and delicious.
Steamed whole lookdown (aka moonie) covered with chinese bean sauce and scallions. Another fish meat that will melt in your mouth. Savory and delicious.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

1. Hogfish
2. Seared fresh yellowfin tuna
3. Yellowtail Snapper
4. Cobia
5. Mutton snapper

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) As I type now, I am eating Chilean Sea Bass. First time I have cooked or eaten this species. Very expensive I might add. It is nice to get free seafood. I just cooked a 3 lb fillet. It was the extra cut off of the main fillet.
It is different, and pretty good too. Give it a try.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Chilean seabass is really Patagonian toothfish. I agree it is really good, but being fished to dangerously low levels, a lot of people are starting to boycott it.

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) I know what it is really called, but that name won't fly when you ask for $15 to $22.00 a lb. People boycotting means nothing. It thrives in the seafood market. I will still take Pompano over it any day of the week.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

These guys used to come in the back of the restaraunt in HUGE slabs...like sword used to.....now, considerably smaller.

Like 10 -20 chefs ( big names ) made a stink about Sword, also a while back, some local guys too....people just went elsewhere till they woke up and put it back on the menu....sad really, but the dolla dolla bill speaks loudly.

Chilean is a fine fish, hard as hell to hammer, really, no matter how long you may forget it in the oven - huge fat content, Very Rich.

Baked, Oreganato is my favorite way to eat it...simple.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Jmoneyjock
Fisher

Re: Best Tasting Fish

Post by Jmoneyjock »

1) Fresh pacific halibut
2) Sockeye salmon
3) Pompano
4) Whiting

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Re:

Post by sepaik »

Rijkaard wrote:
Dhunter55 wrote:
Rijkaard wrote:I love flounder, oven roasted with potatoes and olives :P

I'd like to have that recipe!
it's not hard, put ev'rything you see in the picture - whole flounder, black and green olives, diced potatoes, cherry tomatoes (just a little bit), olive oil, 3-4 garlic segments, salt and some red pepper - in a pan and bake in the oven at 400 °F for about 30-35 minutes, get a bottle of good white wine and enjoy your dinner :wink:
Ricky,
What happened to the picture??
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

mackerel... yumm ..spanish..cero..king..
...i like "gamey" tasting fish... tunas... (i even eat bonita) :lol:

Jmoneyjock
Fisher

Post by Jmoneyjock »

you can catch pacific halibut from shore

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

jettypark28 wrote:Just a reminder... if the threads are really old most of the time the picture won't
be there.. i believe this thread was started in 06 :chef:

Pssssss there is nothing wrong at times with starting a new thread... because by then
some of us have changed our mind..

Also you can break it down to.. whats the best fish caught on land and whats the
best caught on a boat.. eatpop

Like a hogfish/red snapper are great eating fish but its rare to catch one when fishing
from a shoreline...
That is a good point. Although this is a boatless site we do weigh the anchor now and then. So does the sword guy, but you could have started a new thread and then linked to this one for reference.
On the offshore side I would rate the wahoo as excellent, even when cooked by a non spicer like me. It isnt that I don't like spice I just don't know the flavors by name. and I don't see how the sword can stay so delicious even at 200-300 lbs but it does.
Shorebound for me is the grover. Big ones/ small ones, they are all sweet tasting. I have eaten allot of flounder and like them, they are too much work to clean unless you leave the scales on. Lazy mf
Jezz all I can say is bro you need to retrain your taste buds to be your friends and not play tricks on you. Do you even ice your fish down? I will start saving the bloodline cutouts for you. lol
Freshwater: as a floridian- a nice clean river or creek caught bass in the 3-4 lb range is my favorite, probably followed by the cappie white or black. Snook are also on my freshwater list.
If you are gonna drag me back for another great lakes vacation I will add the walleye and white bass. I find it hard to believe them people call drum a trash fish. They should try bowfin,snakeheads and chiclids sometime.
To this I would add any other fish I don't have to buy. Cant remember the last time I had to do that with the exception of dining out. But even then rarely order fish that I can catch. That is when i go to yf tuna if fresh for real. I HATE CANNED TUNAFISH !

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

lol... i like stronger tasting foods.. but i have to say i once served seared bonita at one of my parents parties.. it was caught that day, bled and iced immediately... when i filleted it i cut the bloodline out.. heated up an oiled pan on high.. dusted with garlic powder and black pepper...made a dipping sauce of fresh minced garlic soy sauce and some sarachas hot sauce... got lots of compliments on it...it was all eaten...my dad always asks if i can make bo-tuna...hahah

i am also really into ceviche for that i do prefer using a lighter meat fish... snapper, grouper, snook, drum...

when i catch something (legal) i am inclined to see if i can eat it .... the only thing from the sea that i have tried and really dont like are hardheads.. the one i ate tasted like mud..and the texture was odd... want to try some sting ray next time i catch one..

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I've got 2 new recipes that you all ought to try. The 1st one is called Mac and Cheese. You take spanish mackerel fillets, cover them with slices of american cheese and bake in the oven til flakey. Yum. The other is Cordon Bleu Runner. You take a whole boo-runner, stuff it with swiss cheese and ham. Bake til crispy. It's a googan delicacy passed down from generation to generation. Tight lines. lol

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”