Ethinic-Racial Slurs

If you experience any problems registering please email info@boatlessfishing.com , I will fix issue ASAP, you should be activated with in 24 hours.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Ethinic-Racial Slurs

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

So here we go on a journey down the road of Race-Nationality, this is a touchy subject and I am sure some are not going to like my straight approach, but one thing I know is no one can say I am racially prejudice my best friend that I would trust with my life is a different Race, Culture, Nationality or can someone say I am a racist, Probably.

So I get that some feel that there are tasteless remarks made as to race, I will agree that I have seen on rare occasions straight up racial remarks and they have been dealt with. I have never and will never tolerate racism.

This is very important
But I see here and there minor things said that do seem to carry a slur undercover but I am not sure it is maliciously intended and so yes I am not going to make a federal case out of it, but I will if that is what most want because they feel this is happening to much.

I have met many people in this forum and will say that 99% have never shown me any behavior that would make them a racist by my definition on the contrary I have found that all seem to get along very well and there is always a mixed bag of people when we fish together and I am sure they will agree that we have most Race's and Nationality's covered.

But let me say this don't complain about someone doing this and then down the road let me hear you say a thing ever about a group of people because whats worse than a racist is one who is a hypocrite that plays the race card, at least with a real racist you know who they are.

I look at life and I have said this before " I walk the path to show not tell"

More learn by seeing how it should be done than telling how it should be done

So please add your comments to this thread and in the future PM me and let me know you see something you think is not good so we can get to the bottom of it.

Please express Here what you think I should do when this happens, as in deactivate, send PM warning, make a Public Warning, send them to the Chopping Block.

Chopping Block Definition of how it is used
People who are problematic are told to me by you in a PM or the chopping block area and when I see enough people say something about a person they are then warned that they are very close to being put on the Block so members can express the negativity or positivity that they have on the site and then i cut them lose or let it go.

This has already been done with a few people and they where forewarned and if they wish to let you guys know they can, but I am just saying it was done and the block was chosen if the time came.
You see I give them the offer take the Block or leave on their own free will before the time comes because some may prefer to not have it done public in the block so there alternative is to leave on there own without the input from the members.

But the ones who have chose the block have not had enough complaints for me to put them there to the percentage that use the forum, so they have only been forewarned as I said earlier.

This message is to those that like to claim that there is no one here moderating, there is alot of users and readers now more than I would have ever imagined in this short time and we do our best to try to catch all the junk but we are humans and things get by and some days we are tired and things don't get to us as much as maybe they should.

Those that are unhappy we have put no cannon balls chained to your legs.

Ok so I am starting this off please add to it
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

sprtsracer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sprtsracer »

Two Strike Rule One warning "publicly" for all to see, making it clear to everyone, and especially the offender, that it is a warning, and second time, you're out of here!!! No ifs, ands or buts! I can tell you for a fact that the fish don't give a darn what race or sex someone is, so why should we? This is a "family forum", so why should the kids that visit here be exposed to the ignorance of a couple of adults? I think we have a responsibility to set an example for not only the ethics of fishing, obeying the regulations as it pertains to slot limits, size, etc. and conservation, but also to set an example of the ethics of life and humanity also. To do otherwise sends the message that we value fishing regulations above the Constitution. My two-cents, anyway.
No matter where you go, there you are!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Sounds great now someone decide where to draw the line? So salsa music and yoyo's are racist terms?

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Post by Team Shark Fever »

Thanks to sprtsracer for his adult level headed ethical comment.Good suggestion.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Thought long and hard on it and reread the thread that started this whole mess. I see no reason to get all excited about his thread I saw nothing disrespectful, racist, or harmful in anyway in it. He desrcribed what he saw never did he down the people only stated that that wasn't his idea of a good time and dropped a ''No gracias.'' I would have left as well. I suppose that makes me a racist as well..... :roll: Outright racism or deragatory remarks should be banned from this site on this point I will agree but if his post is the reason for this witch hunt then I don't get the big deal.

sprtsracer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sprtsracer »

fishnfool73 wrote:Thought long and hard on it and reread the thread that started this whole mess. I see no reason to get all excited about his thread I saw nothing disrespectful, racist, or harmful in anyway in it. He desrcribed what he saw never did he down the people only stated that that wasn't his idea of a good time and dropped a ''No gracias.'' I would have left as well. I suppose that makes me a racist as well..... :roll: Outright racism or deragatory remarks should be banned from this site on this point I will agree but if his post is the reason for this witch hunt then I don't get the big deal.
I have no clue whatsoever as to what prompted BF's statement, and have not read, nor do i know who was involved in any post that may have prompted his comments, nor do I care to. I can only state what I already have, and stand behind it. Sometimes, things are said innocently, with no mal-intent, and I'm sure everyone on this board can tell the difference between what is said innocently, and what is said with malice. I trust everyone on here, including BF, to know the difference. Maybe I missed something somewhere because I don't read every post unless it applies to me or something I'm interested in, but I think we are all adults and know the difference between right and wrong. Let's just be considerate of each other and place ourselves in the other person's shoes. After we've done that...lets go fishin' together and catch a bunch!!!
No matter where you go, there you are!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

This is the thread that started it all:
viewtopic.php?t=7731

And here is the comment:
So, craving the feeling of freedom that comes when you're down on a bridge doing your thing, I departed even though I was leaving on a weekend day. Usually, I only go to the keys for Mon-Fri trips because flying with the herd drives me friggin' NUTS. Seeing the keys during season on a Sunday did nothing but reaffirm this. Holy Christ, what a mess. Truly scary. All those little out of the way niches on Card Sound road that are usually so peaceful and private feeling during the week were being pummelled by the dead shrimp and squid brigade- cranking out loud salsa music, throwing trash everywhere, talking loud, fishing poorly, and painting an entirely different picture of a place that feels like heaven during the week when this same contingent isn't around. Yeah, sure, they were enjoying themselves. Good for them. Yech! Not for me. No gracias.

Note to self: stay out of the keys on the weekends.

But then, it was Sunday and getting on the late afternoon so the lower I got, the better it got. Whew!

And I guess the labeling of "dead shrimp and squid brigade- cranking out loud salsa music" is what disturbed some.

When I read it I just thought of it as he wrote what he saw, as I read it again I still think he wrote what he saw, but when I think of the "dead shrimp and squid brigade" all I can think of is the googans that fish, and we all call them googans. It just happens that this googans were of latin descent and that's why he pointed it out.

I do think that we need to stop referring to other people when we write reports and focus on what this forum is really about "Fishing". We specially need to stop referring to other nationalities as well, there really isn't any need to do it. You never know what might offend somebody. There are things that bother us when we do go fishing and that's why there are some areas of the forum where we can write about those things. Like the soapbox http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=64 And there is also the chopping block where you can say why you want someone out of the forum and you can write his or her name in there. You don't like them? You think they should be out of here? Then write their name here: http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=74 Make your case and let the rest of the forum discuss it as well.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Even though some may not be offended by the statements from that select thread, Tommy posted this as a general rule/warning that Ethinic/racial slurs will never be allowed. He just saw that it was time to post this type of warning.

Kudos to BF for posting this!
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Yeah, Im sick and tired of PA comments. No more chinaman and chicken chow mein slurs. :tongue: :lol:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

bolo wrote:Yeah, Im sick and tired of PA comments. No more chinaman and chicken chow mein slurs. :tongue: :lol:
bolo Im jamaican chinese so they can get me with that to.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Im just messing with you PA. We all understand it is a joke we play among each other. Sometimes when we post on the forum people cant read the person emotion when they write. At times that has been blown things out of portion. I hope people on the forum young and old and race that we all have to share the same fishing grounds. So lets be respectful to each other.

I believe it was Baitwetter who call me Chicken Chow Mein. :evil:

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

seriously tho I want some chow mein...( that was not directed towards anyone)... bolo are you straight chinese or are you of another nationality as well?

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

BRunner346 wrote:bolo are you straight chinese?
Im not I am so happy, Im straight chinese. :D

baitwetter
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by baitwetter »

I have been quite busy this entire weekend and have not had a chance to "chime in" on this matter but just wanted to make my opinion known.

I read the post that started all of this and as a "typical" Cuban, I really did not find any of the comments offensive. While I do enjoy salsa, merengue, rock, jazz, roshni, punk, doowop, country, opera, classical, bluegrass, techno, hip-hop, and new age, I DONT like to hear any of them blasting near me when I am trying to fish.

As a fisherman who hangs out on piers and bridges, I have seen and interacted with the "dead shrimp & squid patrol" myself. I find that these people really have no intention of fishing seriously like most of us do here and have seen them keep undersized fish just because they are suprised that they actually caught a fish regardless of its size.

Everyone has to understand that those kind of people do not think about the whole picture like we do. They are not really concerned about conservation, laws, bag limits or becoming a steward of our fishery. They probably rarely go fishing and when they do, a live fish is a novelty and they keep them.

These people are Chinese, Cuban, Indian, Korean, Jamaican, American, Philipino, black, white, yellow, green or what ever shade or ethnicity you can up with.

With all that said, If me being Cuban and making a post saying that I was bothered by a bunch of other Cubans while I was fishing because of they were using squid, yoyo's and playing lound salsa music would I be labeled a racist? Would any other minority forum member just up and call me a racist? Why? I was just making a true statement about my personal experience while I was fishing.

I really did not see anything that would offend me in the post that has everyone up in arms. This whole thing was just blown out of proportion and needs to stop.

Everyone should take note of how Bolo deals with racial comments made by several forum members. He knows that all is in jest and he even makes fun of his own ethnicity. Those of us that are secure with who we are and our heritage rarely take offense to posts made on the forum that are not a direct and derogatory racial comment aimed at us. Those that do get offended need to chill.
Sad to be sitting out this years Shorebound Shark Tourney due to work issues. Good luck to all that participate!!!

capttom1961
Fisher

Post by capttom1961 »

i live in the keys......the bridges themselves are so freakin disgusting on the weekends i cant fish there
ever go there on a sunday morning at sunrise??? ive never seen so much trash in my life.....there are trash cans about every 50 ft on the bridges.......but nobody uses them......
i saw a group of people leaving the other morning and they left all there trash just laying there
i asked them why they couldnt pick up after themselves.....
they couldnt speak english....and still didnt pick there trash up..just left........
thats what pisses me off......and ill always say something about it.....

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

jettypark28 wrote:I read it and read it again, oh and i am also latin. First of all "Those" types of people that break the law by keeping everything and anything. COME IN ALL COLORS!!! all words have hidden meaning, and when you hear one remark. You say to yourselve "They are just joking" than you hear it again and than you have others reply with the same comments. It does become OLD after awhile, and for some people its just to much to bear even in a place like this. I don't have that Race Pride that most have. But i understand what some have gone thru, and for most of us. It started when we were just kids, and if you have never gone thru that than you will never understand why some feel the way they do. When i join the Marines, my drill sergeant made us all one color. GREEN!!! everybody was green, and if white/black/yellow or anything else came out of your mouth instead of this Green Marine....You butt was toast :shock: (This kept alot of the race issue low on the radar) Did it change after i left boot camp......Yes it did. But i stood my ground and reported it or handle it in my Marine Corps ways. :wink: Some say that they are just, calling it the way they see it. The problem with that is that they are pointing out a certain group. When that happens often enough, than i am sorry to say....but there is a race under tone with the words they are saying. I have seen White/black/yellow guys throw trash and keep under size fish. But when i report it in a thread, i never say race or throw in certain words that would define a certain race. Again guys this is something that has follow most of us, all our lifes. So i can understand why some people would feel hurt and upset over this. So in saying that, this is a place for fishing and people becoming friends to share and hopefully wet a line or two, when we cross paths in this crazy world of ours. Let keep this simple from now on, so nobody will get upset over a few misplace words. Everybody here from now on is GREEN, and they play green music and eat green food. That should take care of any race issues down the road. We can't change race issues and thats a fact, but we can at least try in here. Everybody here should also be willing to understand and respect how each of us feels. Just my .02.....But if you have never walk in somebody else shoes, you will never understand. But you should at least try, and thats what being a family means..... :wink:
Yes, I agree with you on this matter. Most of us that experience racism is usually when we are kids and for the most we kept that build up inside. As we get older we either deal with it by standing up for ourself or turn the other cheek. I have dealt with racism through out my life in school and behind an enclosed cell. Living down in south florida with majority of hispanic and black people the asian people are consider the minority. People on this forum do not have the proper way of saying things and ends up using ethenic to describe a group of people out of frustration. Those people that said that f' them, who cares. And for the people who blow it out of portion f' you too. We as a mature adults need to grow up and not let every little crap bother you. (When I mean you I mean anyone who fit this description.) This forum has stray a bit from what BF has built. It is sad that BF and mods has to baby sit this forum to keep the peace. Trash me all you want but there is some turth to all this crap.

I apologize if I offend the good people on this forum. You're just part of collateral damage.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

You think that is bad try listening to loud chinese music. Sounds like a bunch of cats scratching a chalkboard. :shock:

lapdog3028
Fisher

Post by lapdog3028 »

Ok so why does getting peeved at a few rude foreigners always seem to get tossed into the racially unsound box? Hey, last time I checked playing loud music is never a good fishing tactic. So next time no matter what bait they're using and music they're blaring, just refer to them as ASS CLOWNS because that's what they are and there is nothing racist about putting a shark gaff in their car tires if they're keeping undersized fish.
What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

budman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by budman »

And for the record, I am of Cuban Decent from parents, but American by birth and the grace of god. If you live in this country, whether born here or came here for political, financial, educational reasons, you are american. That is the biggest problem when people see their previous country as "the best" etc............ and say they are Cuban, Venezualan, Haitian, WHEREVER YOU ARE FROM. You are here now, try to learn the language, learn the laws, respect your flag, respect your neighbor, protect your country, fish your azz off and quit your bitchin.

Amen, PA, well said.
sponsored by: APAT Designer Services

NICK123
KING MACKEREL

Post by NICK123 »

a men to that
know every shut up and fish

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Well said jettypark... again..

Sucks when you have to repeat yourself doesn't it?
:wink:
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Im a CrAcKeR and Proud of it!!

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

MoJo wrote:Im a CrAcKeR and Proud of it!!
I take offense to that you cracka a$$ cracka
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Thanks Jettypark28 you've said it better then anybody so far.Some on the other hand have exagerated and twisted what was said by The Apprentice originally.Pier afficionado said
If I was on a bridge and a bunch of cubans came and started blasting salsa
Well the particular nationality was never mentioned so i don't know why it's got to be a bunch of cubans--even though salsa did originate in Cuba with a combination of the African
slaves drums mixing with the Spanish instruments.Sorry man i tell it like it is.Cuban music has influenced the entire world of music.In international ballroom competetions most of the dances carry Cuban rhythms such as the Mambo,ChaChaCha,Rumba and a few others that i can't recall right now.Gio turn your back on your heritage and don't learn some history that will serve you well.Back on the subject of Key Biscayne and that it has been "raped"!!!cow poop!!! I fish Key Biscayne and catch mangroves in the summer,mackeral in the winter and spring ,and snook are caught year round.I catch trout on the grassbeds behind the cruiseship port not far from there.I fish Stiltsville and catch bonefish and blacktip sharks.and mangroves in the finger channels.Raped would be an area that was maybe targeted reapetedly
by a net boat-but that was banned years ago thank God.Yeah i'll admit that alot of immigrants fish there and they do have a tendency to keep undersized fish but FWC does go out there and does slap plenty of fines on them;so hopefully they will learn to respect and obey the laws for the good of all.IT's a process and it takes time with all newcomers to adapt
and learn the ways of this great country that has welcomed them with open arms.Most days what you have out there is a bunch of old man in there 60s and 70s who are retired and fish a few days a week to have something fresh to cook.Most are living on fixed incomes and are barely surviving on thier social security checks.I hate poachers just as much as the next guy and i will confront people and call the cops if need to but i also try to be understanding to the other guys situation,,,i feel it's better
to help educate then it is to convict.Who am i to judge when i've made so many mistakes in my life.GOD BLESS AMERICA -STAND BESIDE HER AND GUIDE HER.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Please lets not trash BALLROOM DANCING.
Or well never be able to compete on 7 mile bridge again. :oops:

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

I love to dance on the seven mile bridge;specially after half a bottle of Jack.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

I like salsa esp if it is either med spicy or hot spicy. I prefer the homemade kind but will pick up the ones that are ''fresh made'' in the refrigerator section of the local grocery store. I do not eat the glass jar Pace Picante or other assorted ones that have the shelf life of decades. I prefer the taste of fresh tomatoes, chiles, chilantro and onions in my salsa. Not too soggy so that it drips juice on you when you dip it but nice and firm with a little kick to it. Doritos are good for it but I have taken a liking to the lime flavored tortilla chips from Lays as of late. A nice fresh chip filled with salsa on a hot day of fishing always makes my mouth feel refreshed almost like a fiesta in my mouth. I like to bring some on my Tortugas trips nothing like sharing some fresh salsa and chips with some good friends while fishing.My stomach is growling just thinking about it ....may have to do Mexican for lunch today.

Return to “User Help for BF Forums and Rule of use”