Long Island Shark fishing

Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania Fishing Reports and Fishing Information.
Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Long Island Shark fishing

Post by Sandy Feet »

I grew up , on long Island , surf casting for sharks . Don't know if anyone is interested in trying it , but if you are , let me know and I'll be glad to give all the details. :reeling:

opiato
Old Salt

Re: Long Island Shark fishing

Post by opiato »

How bout rockaway beach? Gona be there in early august. May leave the sharkin gear at home. Not sure if I trust the airlines with the expensive equipment, but im considering it. But since yer offering, id love to hear some pointers anyway for sharkin or just surf fishing in general there. U still in ny or livin in fl now?

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

opiato wrote:How bout rockaway beach? Gona be there in early august. May leave the sharkin gear at home. Not sure if I trust the airlines with the expensive equipment, but im considering it. But since yer offering, id love to hear some pointers anyway for sharkin or just surf fishing in general there. U still in ny or livin in fl now?
Living in Georgia , and doing my shark fishing in the Florida panhandle now . I grew up in Rockaway , surf fished there , but did my shark fishing at Jones beach . ( Oak Beach ) , to be exact. We parked at the Oak Beach parking area , an walked towards Fire Island inlet about a half mile to a cove , just before reaching the fast water, I used a Penn Live Bait Caster ( 259 ) reel and a heavy duty surf rod . Standard wire leader and 10/o "J" hook. Eels for bait as they are crab resistant and easy to obtain. Most all of our fish were Sandbars in the 7ft , plus , range . My biggest was 8ft. 8in. It ran all the way back to the Oak beach swimming area , where it ran everyone back out of the water, before it was landed. If you , or anyone else , is interested in shark fishing , I'd recommend giving this area a try . Considering the water is generally pretty cool the area was fairly productive . I wish you well. Larry

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Sounds fun. Hopefully ill get to play around with the sharks while im there, but im visiting family, so not sure how much 'me' time ill have. But if I dont get to this trip, then maybe next. Thanks dude.

pland
Fisher

Post by pland »

This thread looks a bit old, but I am going to have a chance at surf fishing in August and I would like to try for some shark.

How far and deep was your bait? Did you use a kayak or boat to place the bait? A float to keep it at a certain depth? Since you mentioned crabs, did you find keeping bait on the bottom to be most productive?

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

What about Montauk?

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

ill be in town the week of the 4th of july, prob going to try this now aside from heading to point lookout to get me some fluke!
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

pland wrote:This thread looks a bit old, but I am going to have a chance at surf fishing in August and I would like to try for some shark.

How far and deep was your bait? Did you use a kayak or boat to place the bait? A float to keep it at a certain depth? Since you mentioned crabs, did you find keeping bait on the bottom to be most productive?
We did all our shark fishing by casting from the beach. The further you could cast , the better , but 50 yds. was about average. Used 4-5 oz pyramid sinker , 7 ft doubled and twisted wire leader. Always used eels for bait. Crabs were plentiful and would take anything that didn't have tough skin. Never tried it , but sting ray would likely be effective as well. There are lots of sharks at Montauk , i'm sure , but there are all rocks and boulders in the surf , so snags and cut off almost a certainty .

Return to “Middle Atlantic”