FIRST STRIPER!

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
swordfish
SHARKER

FIRST STRIPER!

Post by swordfish »

So, Im up here in Mass, went out to the beach, second cast with an old bass popper and rusty hooks and boom, schoolie striper! I ended up with 3 fish! Im going to go get me some more salt water poppers tomorrow it was AWESOME! this one went about 18" or so, the others were much smaller.

the 40 degree weather didnt bug me much!

-sword

basshole69
KING MACKEREL

Re: FIRST STRIPER!

Post by basshole69 »

now that is a decent striper...caught it by the jetty? btw are you on a budget? they have some charters that can take you on the south side of Nantucket to catch big striper
I'm that guy who's too thick skinned...remember?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

basshole69 wrote:now that is a decent striper...caught it by the jetty? btw are you on a budget? they have some charters that can take you on the south side of Nantucket to catch big striper
Nice striper man. You don't need a charter to catch big ones, I got a 43" 31 lber from the beach at Chatham about 8 years ago on a live eel on the bottom at night.

basshole69
KING MACKEREL

Post by basshole69 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
basshole69 wrote:now that is a decent striper...caught it by the jetty? btw are you on a budget? they have some charters that can take you on the south side of Nantucket to catch big striper
Nice striper man. You don't need a charter to catch big ones, I got a 43" 31 lber from the beach at Chatham about 8 years ago on a live eel on the bottom at night.
that ones not bad at all...good job Rory...the only reason I mentioned it was because when I went to Mass. in 2006, my road trip buddies and I chartered with Tuna Tyem and they put us on huge lunker stripers...we each caught like six that were close to 50#

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

They are great to eat too. Is the limit still 28" up there?

basshole69
KING MACKEREL

Post by basshole69 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:They are great to eat too. Is the limit still 28" up there?
yup. 28" and two fish per day

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Nice Striper... Beautiful ocean and pictures from up north too.

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

nice job swordfish, welcome to frigid mass. lol, the cape has great freshwater fishing too in the winter when the salt goes dead, you got at least 3 weeks left to get a cow striper b4 they head to chesapeake, good luck :reeling:
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

Nice work...did you see any tuna busting bait off the beaches?
Image Image Image

byf
Fisher

Post by byf »

Where are you at in MA? You are in the fall run right now. Most striper fishermen up there are looking for 40lb class fish.
Forget the poppers. Find some rocks and throw live eels at night. No weight. Cast let sink and reel SLOWLY rod tip high. When you feel a bump lower your tip, if using circle hook open your bail and let run, set hook and hold on. If you must throw plugs you want metal lipped swimmers, pencil poppers for sunrise if fish are exploding.
For the Cape Cod canal go to Wal-Mart and buy 3&4oz Sea Striker jigs (inexpensive and the hook wont bend) tip these with gulp 7" chartreuse pepper neon jerk shad or large pre-rigged swimbaits. Cast upstream and when you feel bottom jig (lift rod from 9-12) the bait across the current. If you hook up in the canal a 10lb fish will feel like 30 in the current.

This is what your looking for:
P1000498 (800 x 600).jpg
P1000499 (800 x 600) (600 x 450).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

byf
Fisher

Post by byf »

You MUST have korkers of some type to fish the rocks or jettys or you will die.
P1000608 (600 x 450).jpg
P1000609 (600 x 450).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

byf
Fisher

Post by byf »

Go to stripers247 and see if Rickski will sell you a Ski Gunnyrunner. This one took 11 legal sized fish in 4 hours at the canal this spring.
P1000868_renamed_25660.jpg

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Wow thx so much for all the info and wicked nice fish! Im living in East Dennis, Sesuit Harbor basically 3 minutes away! I havent been able to get out more but when I did I did ok on small fish! I wanna try some thou, been told the keepers are tasty!

-sword

basshole69
KING MACKEREL

Post by basshole69 »

how's the weather been up there?

Return to “New England Area”