Take me to you leader!

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
Noddinoff
Fisher

Take me to you leader!

Post by Noddinoff »

I've been reading articles for basic info on fishing, both fresh & salt. I've run into some opposing advice on leaders. Some say a leader should be heavier than the line; others say the line should be heavier than the leader. So, for instance, should an 8# line have a 6# or a 10# leader? Thanks in advance for the correct (?) answer. Nod

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Take me to you leader!

Post by fishnfool73 »

I can't think of to many reasons to use lighter leader than main. It is really pointless unless the fish refuse to bite on the only reel you have and go lighter on the leader to get them to bite ie yellowtail or yft.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Yep. My general rule of thumb is for the leader to be approximately double the test of the main line. 30 lb line = 60 lb leader, etc. Of course there are exceptions, but the main purpose of the leader is to provide abrasion resistance from rocks, teeth, gill plates, etc, etc.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

the purpose of using a lighter leader than your main line is if you are using a fish finder rig ( main line - sinker - swivel - leader - hook ) is so that when your hook is snagged on bottom you don't lose your weight , the leader will pop and all you lose is the hook , i fish fish finder rigs a lot and i have my main line 30lb braid and a leader of 20 lb floro carbon about a foot and a half of it , we fish oyster beds and other areas we get snagged a lot but if we lost weights all the time it would get real expensive for us . so hooks are cheap and can be sacrificed ...

Return to “Tackle Help”