Surf Rod/Reel Combo

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
Danny
Fisher

Surf Rod/Reel Combo

Post by Danny »

Hi-

I'm looking for a used surf fishing rod/reel combo for under $100. I'm really new to salt water. I hear 10' is about the length I'm looking for, but I could use some input on this.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

-Theodosius Dobzhansky

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Surf Rod/Reel Combo

Post by fishnfool73 »

Spinnng or conventional ? Tough to go wrong with an Ugly Stick for that esp. given your price range. The reel may be tougher to keep it under. An old Jigmaster should be fine.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

10 foot Ugly stix Spinning rod with a decent reel, put out the extra on a better Spinning reel.

My favorite surf rod is and has been 10 foot ugly with a Penn 650 or 750ss I only use the older penn reels, metal bodys.

You want to go cheap and just check out fishing at littile cost Okuma tundra 10 foot with spinning reel 50 bucks or so and its ok for the price.

These rods are good on piers also
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Danny
Fisher

Post by Danny »

Spinning or casting would be fine. I can also go over $100, but I figured I'd low-ball it first just to see what people came up with. Thanks for the tips!
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

-Theodosius Dobzhansky

Return to “Tackle Help”