Suggestions for Breathable Rain Gear

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Suggestions for Breathable Rain Gear

Post by rshields »

I have a few sets of rain gear and always went for the cheapest way. I figured this would work but then I was soaked to my skin. The suits I have had say waterproof but come up short. I'm looking for light weight, easy to carry and breathable. I have had Columbia which did not keep me dry and now I am looking for suggestions. Lightweight bib or pants bottom with a hooded jacket.Thanks

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Suggestions for Breathable Rain Gear

Post by crashmister »

May be a little rich for your blood but it's the last rain gear you will ever buy.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... tid=132720
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Thanks. Was looking at these too. Just getting tired of the rain when I'm in it after allot of hours
Anybody use Carhartt brand before? These are on sale too

http://www.gemplers.com/product/145946/ ... e-Overalls

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

I bought a set of Calcutta from T&R Tackle on Commercial. I haven't had to use it yet but the quality looks top notch to me. They have Grundens too but there not breathable, more like vulcanized rubber.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

I'm heading to T&R tomorrow and will check what they have there. Thanks for the link crashmister. Anybody else can suggest what works for them....Thanks

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

I brought mine at BPS. It was by Columbia. Very lightweight and breathable. I carry it with me all th time when I'm in the Keys.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

rshields wrote:I have a few sets of rain gear and always went for the cheapest way. I figured this would work but then I was soaked to my skin. The suits I have had say waterproof but come up short. I'm looking for light weight, easy to carry and breathable. I have had Columbia which did not keep me dry and now I am looking for suggestions. Lightweight bib or pants bottom with a hooded jacket.Thanks

www.frogtogs.com
For the price they can not be beat. Very light, you can almost fold them up and put them in your pocket. They are a bit baggy though, at least for me.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

bolo wrote:I brought mine at BPS. It was by Columbia. Very lightweight and breathable. I carry it with me all th time when I'm in the Keys.
Bolo, that's the thing. I have Columbia but got it from the on sale rack at BP and it broke down and ended up not being water proof?? maybe because I got the clearence gear for like no bucks. Couple other guys said they were happy with theirs from Columbia also. Guess I'll spend a few dollars this time, I mean more then $20 on sale out the door

thanks for your input also... strizile ...gonna do some shopping this time

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

rshields wrote: Guess I'll spend a few dollars this time, I mean more then $20 on sale out the door
Yea, you're going to have to add another zero to that number if you're looking for "good" stuff.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

rshields wrote:
bolo wrote:I brought mine at BPS. It was by Columbia. Very lightweight and breathable. I carry it with me all th time when I'm in the Keys.
Bolo, that's the thing. I have Columbia but got it from the on sale rack at BP and it broke down and ended up not being water proof?? maybe because I got the clearence gear for like no bucks. Couple other guys said they were happy with theirs from Columbia also. Guess I'll spend a few dollars this time, I mean more then $20 on sale out the door

thanks for your input also... strizile ...gonna do some shopping this time
Same thing happened with my Columbia jacket, it was good for about 6 months and then lost it waterproofness. I bought a Helly Hansen (sp?) jacket last year and it is great.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

I was looking at the Hansens also. Thanks

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Hmmmm.... Good to know. I will watch out and hope my gear doesn't fall apart. Mine is going on 2 years. I also keep it in a water proof bag. Maybe the uv hasn't had the chance to destory it.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Team_Rebel_Tyler
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Team_Rebel_Tyler »

Personal Experience: I really don't think you can go wrong with Grundens- I've been working on a charter boat up north in CT for the last 3 years using the same bibs(pants) and jacket. Rain, snow.. Grundens never failed me. Lightweight and 100% waterproof . They make two versons of the pants to fit ur needs (Hercules bib)-is a thicker material, keeps u a little warmer in cold weahter, and (Clipper bib)-is a lightweight version that helps you breath better on those muggy hott rainy days..I have both and i love them!! Little pricey but totally worth it in my opinion. :) hope u like whatever you end up making your decision on. :reeling:
[~)))>{ ** http://www.teamrebelfishing.com/ ** }<(((~]
[~)))>{ ** http://www.devilwear.com/ ** }<(((~]

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I use a Gortex Paclite from bass pro. Works great for me in the summer.

Return to “Tackle Help”