pompano jig with additional dropper loop

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
hugehail
Fisher

pompano jig with additional dropper loop

Post by hugehail »

Does anyone use the silly willy jig/teaser with an additional dropper loop with teaser about 15 inches above the primary looped pair? Have you caught fish on the additional teaser in the dropper?
Does this technique increase the odds of doubles?

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Re: pompano jig with additional dropper loop

Post by mike j »

I almost always use a doc's goofy jig 3/4 ounce with a dropper loop 18 to 20 inches above it. where I differ from most is above the jig I use a gulp 4 inch swimming mullet on a 2 odd hook. that setup really covers for me anything out there. I have caught more fish on this rig then any other setup. If you have a rocky bottom this isn't for you. where I fish its mostly sand bottom .

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

mike j wrote:I almost always use a doc's goofy jig 3/4 ounce with a dropper loop 18 to 20 inches above it. where I differ from most is above the jig I use a gulp 4 inch swimming mullet on a 2 odd hook. that setup really covers for me anything out there. I have caught more fish on this rig then any other setup. If you have a rocky bottom this isn't for you. where I fish its mostly sand bottom .
Sounds cool, but I'm having a tough time picturing what that looks like.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

That dropper loop technique is used for many different ways for many different purposes... not sure for pompano jigging, it may get tangled when you continuously jerk it... you need to feel the jig hitting bottom.. but additional teaser may make it less sensitive...

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I use a dropper loop when I can but it has its drawbacks. I personally don't lose feeling of the jig but I use braid on my reels and its sensitive. When you use a dropper loop you are twice as likely to get stuck on something in the water column . If there's seaweed or any other material I don't use it ,and it feels like it shortens my casting distance. That being said what ever you put on your dropper loop if its not weighted like a teaser, floats in a very enticing manner. I have been using a teaser in the last few weeks and I have been catching all types of fish on it besides pompano which have been mostly short lately. Mangrove snapper, lookdowns and whiting have been hitting it.

Return to “Broward County”