Hollywood / Dania Beach Fishing Reports 2011 to 2022

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
jeronimo
Weekend Warrior

Re: Hollywood / Dania Beach Fishing Reports 2011- "Reports O

Post by jeronimo »

Congrats on the snook

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Went there just before/after dark tonight. It was super flat and I had to go out pretty far just to cast in any depth of water. I was probably out about 75-100 ft to get to just above knee deep. I caught some skinny fish about 10 inches long, it was super slender and was the color of the sandy ocean bottom. I have no clue what it was but it shook off the hook before I could snap a photo, then it swam right down on top of my foot and stayed there. I felt it start doing something my foot so I shook it off. Kinda strange.

Finger-long bait fish started following my jerkbait. They were following me through the water too. It was super clear which I was surprised after the hard rains. Then I saw some big shadows moving about 10 ft in front of me. I cast at them but nothing. A few mins later I saw some fins come out of the water, looked like some slot snook cruising. They wouldn't hit anything. Then they were gone.

Noticed quite a few crabs running from my feet as I moved through the water. Saw a dead one one shore too.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Sounds like you'd make good bait there man, all those ocean critters seem to be very attracted to ya! :jester:

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I shoulda tied a biki rig off my backpack and let it become a bait stringer.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I went out this evening around dark. Finally saw some bait schools moving along the beach. Not long after I got there I saw a small snook chase something right up to where my feet were then he saw me and took off. I fished through the bait but didn't catch anything.

Later on I saw something bigger tearing up some bait out a little ways. I cast a few times but didn't get a hit, then a few casts later I hook into this:

Immediately some Asian guy runs up and asks me what I had. I told him it was a baracuda and he asks if I am going to keep it. I said no and he said he wanted it. I advised him it's not really a good idea to eat them, but this one was small enough he might be ok. He said it looked like a lady fish and he wanted it. I let him have it.

I noticed that one of the hooks on the front treble had broken off somehow. Unfortunately it's the one that sticks out when the other two lay against the body of the lure. I had a feeling I was going to miss a fish. Under the moonlight I hooked into a good sized snook, he was thrashing on the top of the water and threw my lure.

Time to replace the hooks with something better.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Saw this thing on the beach a few weeks ago. What the hell is it?Image

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

phino wrote:
cvstrat wrote:Saw this thing on the beach a few weeks ago. What the hell is it?Image
is that a piece of a houndfish? i could be wrong.
That could be it. The eyes look dead on but the beak looks not as sharp and pointy

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Not a Houndie. That is the remains of a Trumpetfish.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Fished tonight from about 6:30-8. Surf was as rough as I've ever seen with winds blowing out of the south about 15mph or more. Water looked prime though and bait was everywhere.

A few people rolled up with live bait but left because of the wind. I was whipping the x-rap out as far as I could and working it back quickly. Snagged seaweed on every cast.

Some guy rolled up near the pier and waded out to his chest and threw out what looked like a baby bass colored rapala and was reeling it as fast as he could possibly reel. He hooked up on a snooklet second cast! It got off and he didn't have any more action.

Shortly after that the birds started dive bombing the water right in front of me picking up bait. I cast to the edge of the bait and caugh a jack. Some guy on the beach went out of his way to tell me I was wasting my time and that the only time you catch fish is in slack water. He suggested I fish the intercoastal. I ignored him of course. He came back point out that the birds divebombing bait was a sign the only thing I would catch was a tiny bait fish. He asked me if I was fishing for bait.... WTF.

I had what I believe to be a snook bite in about 2 feet of water but I didn't hook up.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

nice jack man.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

Zebco wrote:8) Not a Houndie. That is the remains of a Trumpetfish.
I concur
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

cvstrat wrote:Fished tonight from about 6:30-8. Surf was as rough as I've ever seen with winds blowing out of the south about 15mph or more. Water looked prime though and bait was everywhere.

A few people rolled up with live bait but left because of the wind. I was whipping the x-rap out as far as I could and working it back quickly. Snagged seaweed on every cast.

Some guy rolled up near the pier and waded out to his chest and threw out what looked like a baby bass colored rapala and was reeling it as fast as he could possibly reel. He hooked up on a snooklet second cast! It got off and he didn't have any more action.

Shortly after that the birds started dive bombing the water right in front of me picking up bait. I cast to the edge of the bait and caugh a jack. Some guy on the beach went out of his way to tell me I was wasting my time and that the only time you catch fish is in slack water. He suggested I fish the intercoastal. I ignored him of course. He came back point out that the birds divebombing bait was a sign the only thing I would catch was a tiny bait fish. He asked me if I was fishing for bait.... WTF.

I had what I believe to be a snook bite in about 2 feet of water but I didn't hook up.

Everyone is full of information....your job is to figgure out which is good and which is.... well shall we just say not worth your time... :)

Nice little jack.... I would have just about killed for one even that size a month ago LOL
Rick

jinnes22
Fisher

Post by jinnes22 »

Going down to Dania and Hollywood tonight around 5 with a bucket of mullet and hoping for a Tarpon or a Slot Snook. Had some luck on the weekend at John Loyd, and missed a Tarpon several times. Blew my mullet about 3 feet out of the water, almost like we was playing with and toying with me.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Goodluck, Fluoro it up bro.

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

cvstrat.... I would have asked the dude if he wanted to meet up and slack tide so he could show you how its done.... Funny stuff right there.... I had a guy last week tell me same thing as I was walking out on to a flat - "water is too hot right now for fish to be on this flat".... I said "thanks sir".... Felt like saying thanks "Mr. Sosin-Wejebe-Poveromo".... I wish he was there to sit and watch with a pair of binoculars, because I wasted my time catching 2 snook and 3 redfish.

Surf fishing is at its best when most peeps think beach conditions (swimming, beach going day) are at its worst.... My girlfriend always asks "are you still going because of this weather (rain)".. and my answer is allllwwwaayyys "worse the weather better the catching" (at least for me as an inshore/freshwater guy)
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Very true about that bad weather bite, gotta love it man. 8)

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by CrstyCptSWitherspoon »

Those clouds or little bit of rain usually make for a great bite. Back in NJ I used to catch a ton of fish anytime the surf was crazy rough and it was raining out. The only sucky thing is if you don't catch fish when the weather is bad. Then it's two times as painful.

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

CrstyCapt.... Where about in Jersey? Bluefish In NY.... Staten Island to be exact....
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

CrstyCptSWitherspoon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by CrstyCptSWitherspoon »

I lived on Long Beach Island my whole life until this past March. I used to catch blue fish, stripers, sea bass, tautog, weakfish, fluke/flounder, and kingfish but not the kind you catch down here. In the recent years though I mostly only hit the beach to catch blues and striper and did more spearfishing for tautog.

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Nice! Good stuff..... better here :wink:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

was out in the boat lobster diving Saturday.. that sub was there all day poppig up and down, seemed like it was maybe shadowing the cargo & cruies ships coming in and out...

I was a part of the sub fleet, fast attack nukes, when in the Navy and that kind of duty sucked, you always busy.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) The sub is just doing exercises. Same place, several times a year, back and forth.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Sandy... Did not know you were Nuke Navy.... So was I.... Stationed at HQ in Virginia... Worked for Admiral Bowman (Director Nav Nuclear Prop)

sebastien
Weekend Warrior

Post by sebastien »

fishing north side of dania pier this morning, caught a big fat ladyfish and small jacks..couple guys were pullin up snookies on live baits. Had to land somebodys snook that was fishing from pier. 34"er caught before that..let's get out there
Go Fishing!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Bluefish in ny wrote:Sandy... Did not know you were Nuke Navy.... So was I.... Stationed at HQ in Virginia... Worked for Admiral Bowman (Director Nav Nuclear Prop)
Yep.. Fast Attack boats, Destroyer & Sub base Norfolk , they did not let me near Admirals
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Thanks for the report, :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

Just got home from fishin' just North of Dania pier. Hard to find mullet, but got about a half dozen and started fishing just after dark. A bright Full moon, high tide, smooth water, good surf, south wind. Got eaten alive all night by skeets and no-see-um's :nilly: The water is getting alot cooler since last week. Had a helluva strike on an 11" mullet, and it finally broke off the surf rod with 30Lb. test and a 50Lb. leader. Great fight. Fished it on a 3 oz. pyramid just past the sandbar. Fished the fingers closer. Got whacked by small blues (about 2 lbs) all night. They started turning on about 10:00, about 1 1/2 hrs after the tide started going out. Released all of them, and ran out of bait. :reeling: A fun time while the wife was in school... :oops:

Return to “Broward County”