How to Balloons..

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
Pilgrim
Weekend Warrior

How to Balloons..

Post by Pilgrim »

I've never fished using balloons before. I understand that it's used to drift bait out far. What type of species can you target using this method? When's the best time to us it? Is there a specific way to rig it, that works best?

I might hit the keys bridges this weekend, and would like to give this shot. :biglaugh:
..as having nothing, yet possessing everything.

byf
Fisher

Re: How to Balloons..

Post by byf »

I've seen people in Venice use it for sharks. They used it to float large chunks of meat that they couldn't cast with their winches. One guy actually glued 2, 5 gallon buckets together. He was after LARGE shark and they were meant to help tire the shark out. The others allowed the current and wind to take their baits out as far as they wanted then they would yank hard until the balloon dislodged from their line and the bait would drop.

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

http://www.balloonfisherking.com/how-to-use/

I have no relationship to this company and have never used them before but they have some rigging tips and videos and it seems the balloons are biodegradeable which, I believe, is better than tossing out something homemade that is not. I may have to try it now as well.

Pilgrim
Weekend Warrior

Post by Pilgrim »

byf wrote:I've seen people in Venice use it for sharks. They used it to float large chunks of meat that they couldn't cast with their winches. One guy actually glued 2, 5 gallon buckets together. He was after LARGE shark and they were meant to help tire the shark out. The others allowed the current and wind to take their baits out as far as they wanted then they would yank hard until the balloon dislodged from their line and the bait would drop.
So is this method used only for shark fishing?
Slammer wrote:http://www.balloonfisherking.com/how-to-use/

I have no relationship to this company and have never used them before but they have some rigging tips and videos and it seems the balloons are biodegradeable which, I believe, is better than tossing out something homemade that is not. I may have to try it now as well.
Thanks for the link. Very helpful!

Does anyone have any experience with this technique? What can/have you caught? :scratch:
..as having nothing, yet possessing everything.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Couple guys were killing the sails with em Wednesday. Poor mans kite! We use em on the Rooster, great method and easy! Hook, Leader, and either tie the balloon around the line or slip knot the line around the balloon. You don't want to loose it on a bite, you want it to pop so sea turtles don't choke on it later. Not sure that's actually possible but it's not important. Some guys use em off the pier in the right wind. I always have a bag o balloons with me usually. Unless my grandson finds them. Then they're not for fishing anymore. :mrgreen:
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “How To's Articles”