What to do if snagged on bottom

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

What to do if snagged on bottom

Post by bigyellowtuna »

If you are snagged on the bottom do not break your rod pulling on the snag and dont cut your line either. Wind until tight, point your rod straight so there is no bend in the rod, hold the spool and then walk backwards....again, without a bend in the rod and without your line coming into contact with the rail. Saw a guy about to cut his line today and stopped him in time to give him this advice.....result was that he got his $5 lure back. Even if the line breaks, it will probably break at the knot and loss would be minimized vs cutting or breaking a rod.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Re: What to do if snagged on bottom

Post by Moose »

sometimes when feel the snag i like to open up the bail and let some line out. If a fish rocked me up it will sometimes come out or let go of the hook/lure...and if there's no fish sometimes the current will shake it off the rocks. If it wont come off then yea, tighten up...cup the bait and with the rod pointed straight with the line walk backwards until the leader pops off

flgreenie
Fisher

Post by flgreenie »

The tighten your drag, and walk away with a flat rod method, may be effective at times, but it is also fairly dangerous. Frequently if the lure comes free, under the pressure it is under, it will come flying at your head at a high velocity. Can have a very ugly ending. Literally. I only use it as a last resort.

IMO a more effective way, and much safer, is to hold your rod in your right hand, tighten up the line, don't over stress it, with your left hand, pull on the line above the reel, creating a bow and arrow effect, as you release the line in your left hand,letting it snap back against the rod, at the same time slightly push the rod forward with your right hand, creates a blow back, in the opposite direction of the snag. Extremely effective. Give it a try before applying a lot of pressure, and seating the the hooks deeper

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

flgreenie wrote:The tighten your drag, and walk away with a flat rod method, may be effective at times, but it is also fairly dangerous. Frequently if the lure comes free, under the pressure it is under, it will come flying at your head at a high velocity. Can have a very ugly ending. Literally. I only use it as a last resort.

IMO a more effective way, and much safer, is to hold your rod in your right hand, tighten up the line, don't over stress it, with your left hand, pull on the line above the reel, creating a bow and arrow effect, as you release the line in your left hand,letting it snap back against the rod, at the same time slightly push the rod forward with your right hand, creates a blow back, in the opposite direction of the snag. Extremely effective. Give it a try before applying a lot of pressure, and seating the the hooks deeper
Doesn't work that well with braid... only work with mono.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

I NEVER pull away with rod in hand! I always use my rag, wrap n pull! Ive seen too many googans pull away with rod in hand whether with a bent tip or tip in a str8 line and pop those tips and even 1 qtr of the rod..

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

i'd put on a pair of goggles and dive in :nopity:

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Cant lose that gear! LOL

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

100% full recovery sir

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Loosen the drag some, walk left and right. That works 90% of the time and I can free it from where is snagged. This method has worked for me...I also have gotten small black grouper out or eel when they go in their hole.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Rare wrote:Loosen the drag some, walk left and right. That works 90% of the time and I can free it from where is snagged. This method has worked for me...I also have gotten small black grouper out or eel when they go in their hole.
Like on 12# test once I remember that LOL
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

That little guy rocked me twice. I had him out then boom back into another hole...lol

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Yeah LOL

Now the rod to it is rocking Cali, or is douche back as I heard through the grapewine!
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Hand line spool works best for me. Wrap the line a few times and pull. Either it breaks of comes free. But there's no abuse to the rod or reel.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “How To's Articles”