BF Forum Keys Ch 2 Bridge Trip Welcome ALL- Oct 23rd to 25th

BF Members paying it forward and helping others that are less fortunate and also making a difference and protecting our environment. this area is where you can read about planned events and our accomplishments.
Rare
SHARKER

Re: BF Forum Keys Ch 2 Bridge Trip Welcome ALL- Oct 23rd to

Post by Rare »

swordfish wrote:
Kingofthesea wrote:I can see it now! It was an epic cast. Never saw one fly further in my life. Just sayin

Hey KOTS, you coming this weekend by any chance? I know it is a epic long distance for you, but purely out of curiosity...

-Swordfish
I got a better chance at catching a 60lb permit then him showing up.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

I will try to be there by 9pm on Friday and will stay till Saturday afternoon.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

does anyone know if the tide will be going under the driving bridge for sunrise?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Which bridge do you speak of? Do you mean water to the bay? Incoming?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:Sound good... will have 60lb mono top shot...
We will have to secure bait earlier... Last time late Friday, crabs were sold out in most bait shops and ended up paying $3.
Maybe, we call bait shop to reserve crabs for us? I can pick them up as I plan to go early to beat traffic.
Get them early as in Wed. Have a few bucks of saltwater to change water each day. Keep 8 to 10 max in a bucket of size as you are holding them till Friday. Them dump them all in the same bucket on that Friday with fresh seawater. Keep them in the dark in the coldest room you have. Or use your large cooler to keep them in there. Do you have a air pump that plugs in the wall?

You can ask them to hold it for you but you might run the risk of small crabs or they are out unless you know the shop guys well.

Squeeze the top she'll of the crab, if they are soft don't get them. You want that hard top...
Last edited by Rare on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

HJared wrote:does anyone know if the tide will be going under the driving bridge for sunrise?
:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

If you are joking then its hilarious... However, if not, from my observation (upper keys) high tide was around midnite friday night. Keep in mind, you MUST take into account this crazy wind which will still be around when we go down Friday, and have blown for a week, however, from that, you should be able to calculate more or less what the tide will up to. That being said, I have been at 2 and seen it be incoming (SLOW) for 2 days straight, while all of the outgoing tide is ripping through channel 5 which is a deeper, wider channel with a different angle of attack to the weather.

I may come down just to say hello, Im off exit 1 TPK so may as well. I have not seen many of you for quite a while!

-Swordfish

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

arent we fishing ch 2 this weekend? arent long key ch5 vs ch 2 faced opposite ways so when the tide is pushing under the driving bridge at ch2 its usually pushing to the open power posts at long key and vice versa?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Jarred. Just relax and fish....Yes, we will be at ch2.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

HJared wrote:arent we fishing ch 2 this weekend? arent long key ch5 vs ch 2 faced opposite ways so when the tide is pushing under the driving bridge at ch2 its usually pushing to the open power posts at long key and vice versa?
On both bridges the driving bridge is toward the ocean side (left if heading south).

-Swordfish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Green Tide wrote:Well I'm going to get there Friday night maybe try to catch one during the night if they're biting that good.
With the outgoing tide starting at 5:30 Saturday morning and 6 o'clock Sunday morning is going to be just right at channel 2. Maybe even hook up with a couple of hogs.

Jarred, John posted that already, but sometimes the tide has nothing to do with what the current will do at the bridges, it could be going under the driving bridge all day or just 1 hour. So we will fish how ever it is. If you want a bait under the bridges and the current is not on your side use a 1 pound weight, that will solve the problem.

Nilson, where is that pic of the special knocker rig you use in strong currents?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

No pics...I will show them if they come.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

anyone who wants to show up early ill be ready to fish anytime friday..... i checked tides for wed morning low tide is 8 am or so( i assume thats the lowest so i plan on being there at 6 to fish the end slack and change then hit my hotel....

as far as friday im checking out of my hotel that morning.... and ill be ready to fish asap just let me know 954 548 6786

im thinkin bout putting my 65 lb braid on my 309 and top shot of 50 lb for permit?? i dunno maybe?

andi will be down there wed morn til sat night

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Loose the braid imo.

Permits tend to know how to cut a line on a piling or under a tunnel. Especially on C2 where room is scarce.

If your top shot is not long enough and your braid hits the bridge with a diesel Permit on the other end looking for the far out water your toast.

Never underestimate even just a 10 pound Permit. Many fight harder than bigger ones. Mono all the way when Permit fishing imo. I have caught my first 2 on a 7' rod with a old penn 3/0 and 30lb momio.

Herb told me to up the lb on the mono and I did not listen until I got cut a couple times. From there on only 50lb andy or momio with 60lb yozuri pink leader. Never lost one again for the reason of line.

Did loose some actually 2 back to back due to wrong hooks but that I blamed on Herb for being in the way (which he was not lmfao).

I hope you guys have fun and catch em big.

You guys are lucky to have the mighty mullets with you down there.

Hmmm pictures please
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

right on dude... i have a torium 30 and two jigmaster 500s and a 309 for conventionals to use..... spinners are all smaller... 7000 and 6000 cept my thunnus old school big boy. dunno where i could use 50 lb on these guys

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Dont really sweat line cap and the t30 will do. 150 yards will do if you make em surf.

I could imagine Rare will show you how that goes with the surfing. He has a surf stick called rare blue thatl do the trick.

You still got the stick brah?
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

i have my torium setup on my 9 foot crowder i bought from jared:) it is a little low on 30 lb i guessi could top shot 50lb on it for this trip and i usualy fish 60 lb clear floro :) 40 and 20 for snapper...

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

ok sincei am gearing up i usually fish with 4 ft 60 or 40 or 20 lb clear floro for leader and 30 lb main line....

all jokes aside should i get anything else.......

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Just have enough 50lb spooled amd some 60lb leader. Some beadsamd swivels and and some 20lb breakaway for the sinker.

On C2 you need imo at least 10oz banks and if the current rips domr 16oz banks.

At least min size 5/0 and strong circle hooks better 7/0 but a lil match up on crab size.

Lower line lb for other species
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Oh and some b8g a$$ burgers for the rare one
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

i only have a few 10s left i have a poop ton of 6 and 8 for sure and yeah thats pretty much how i roll too:) right on

last timei was there it was so hard my 6 oz egg got pulled 250 yards or so on my jigmaster.. i let it pull and watched all that new line show itself... lol... i could almost see the spool it was nuts i gave up grunts and sharks that night

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

i was thinkin if the current is ripping harder ill just have a chumline goin out if its bayside and fish yellow tail style with light weight and small bait see what happens

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

swordfish wrote:
HJared wrote:arent we fishing ch 2 this weekend? arent long key ch5 vs ch 2 faced opposite ways so when the tide is pushing under the driving bridge at ch2 its usually pushing to the open power posts at long key and vice versa?
On both bridges the driving bridge is toward the ocean side (left if heading south).

-Swordfish
i thought long key is different from ch5 and ch 2? is it also the same

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

long key the bridge is on bay side chan 5 and 2 it is ocean side..... so youre right they are different....

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The other way around if we are talking about fishing bridge

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

the driving bridge i mean

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

STRIZ wrote:You still got the stick brah?
You know it :wink:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

HJared wrote:
swordfish wrote:

-Swordfish
i thought long key is different from ch5 and ch 2? is it also the same
Both same. Fishing bridge is on the right (bay side).

-Swordfish

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Jarred please be ready to take a test when you arrived at the bridge.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

hahahaha

so what is our head count man we are gonna have that whole bridge spread out with gear and our guys.....

and again my number is 954 548 6786

i will prob be the first person there since i arrive wed morning... so anyone worried bout friday dont ill be around all day and ready to go

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
kblue wrote:Sound good... will have 60lb mono top shot...
We will have to secure bait earlier... Last time late Friday, crabs were sold out in most bait shops and ended up paying $3.
Maybe, we call bait shop to reserve crabs for us? I can pick them up as I plan to go early to beat traffic.
Get them early as in Wed. Have a few bucks of saltwater to change water each day. Keep 8 to 10 max in a bucket of size as you are holding them till Friday. Them dump them all in the same bucket on that Friday with fresh seawater. Keep them in the dark in the coldest room you have. Or use your large cooler to keep them in there. Do you have a air pump that plugs in the wall?

You can ask them to hold it for you but you might run the risk of small crabs or they are out unless you know the shop guys well.

Squeeze the top she'll of the crab, if they are soft don't get them. You want that hard top...
Thanks rare
Will do.
Yes I can have my 12V air pump connected to charger that plugs in the wall.

Return to “BF Site Gives Back”