Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2013 to 2022

Boatless Fishing Reports for the three Countys including these areas Sebastian Inlet, Melbourne Beach, Indian Shores, Wabasso Beach, Fort Pierce, Port St lucie, .Daytona Beach, Daytona Beach Shores, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach, Pierson, Ponce Inlet, Port Orange, South Daytona.
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2013

Post by fishnfool73 »

Have you ever tried blue crabs for those bull reds ?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Hey JP

I am lucky enough to spend two days in early next week at Port Canaveral. It is for my work and I think i can fish Monday late night and Tuesday morning. I saw many old threads talking about Jetty Park, and they all seem very helpful. I plan to read them over the weekend.

With having said that, could you tell me what kind of fishes I can catch these days?
It will be my first time there.

Thanks a lot

KBlue at Fort Lauderdale

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Thank You Sir

Yes, i want to bring right gears, which was the reason I asked.

I definitely go for BullReds if they are around.
I want to catch the fish I can not catch in my local water.

I am thinking to bring the following from my "junk" yard

11'6" medium heavy surf cast rod(s) with 20 LB mono for bottom,
12' medium light jigging rod with 20 LB braided,
8' medium rod with 15 LB
6' light rod with 8 LB mono
8' 1/4" cast net
Aluminum cart
50 LB lead line
4 ~ 8 oz weights
Various type and size of hooks
Various jigs and lures
Live well bucket
Misc stuff

On Monday, I think I will set my 11'6" rod for bottom fishing to catch bull red with fishfinder rig and live bait. And I would use 12' for jigging.

On Tuesday, I want to go for sheepshead if I can buy some fiddler crabs.
If not, I will do the same as Monday.

KBlue en route

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Hey JP

This is the best fishing intelligence I got so far before I go fishing to a new place. (This is due to many dedicated contributors like JP). I greatly appreciate it.

It is always exciting to do fishing in a place I've never been before.
You know what you know and you don't know what you don't know.
It is like special Ops (like a movie) going after a mission only relying on intels...
So exciting, isn't it?

On Monday, I think I can start fishing around 4:00PM until i crash out.
And I will use 40LB mono for my 11'6" rod.

Thanks

Kblue

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Hit the port yesterday. Fished from 2-4:30. I wanted to stay longer and fish around sunset but I ran out of bait haha... Went through 4 dozen Big shrimp like nothing. The blues and snapper kept on demolishing my baits before any good fish could get to them... Managed one Stud sheepshead (4 pounder) and a 13 inch snapper and way too many blues... The blues are a pain because they will attack anything, and every time I tossed out a nice shrimp the blues would get to it before the gamefish... Didn't see anything much happening out there... I think people got scared off by the weather and the rain... Oh, FWC was out there under cover and checking licenses and coolers. They picked the wrong day because there weren't many people fishing but at least they were out there! Monday and Tuesday should be good out there! Good luck!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Thank You Fishboy

I will have my 3 oz spoon ready to Kill Blues - KBlue

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Reality Vs. planning.

When I done with work, it was 5:45PM.
I made fisherman world and bought bunch of baits before they close at 6 PM.

I got Jetty park and saw people are leaving. I saw bunch of people cleaning 6 - 8 sheeps.
There was no one at the pier around 7:00PM. I settled at the end of the pier.
I set two big rods with live pin fish. One for top water and the other for bottom with fishfinder rig. There was no blue bite. I put 8' with F crab around piles and 6' with peel shrimp to catch bait fish. Spent about 6 hour like that. I caught one shark. Pin fish cut into a half by laser sharp teeth. And I caught a whole bunch of croakers after i cast shrimp a mile with my 12' rod. (I thought they were baby red fish but i saw no dot. They were croakers per one guy.) Their bites took less than 20 second. Bite was better if I cast further.

1:00AM, I moved to parking lot and set two big rods around rock with pin fish using fishfinder rig. I was able to watch my rod in my car where i slept with window open. Around 3:30AM, i checked pins. One pin was 2/3 cut by laser sharp teeth (something pulled the bait around 60ft around rock) and one pin was gone.
Early in the morning, I saw boats are catching bait fish around the green buoy. I was able to cast around the green buoy with my 12' rod 20LB 4 Oz. As soon as I casted there, i got croaker bites. I probably caught/released another 15 small croakers. After that, nothing much.

Jetty Park didn't want a new comer to catch a bullred.
Overall, my Jetty Park experience was awesome and it was another amazing place.
I will definitely come back to catch bullred. I wish I had more time...

One guy fishing next to me at Jetty Park told to stop by Sebastian Inlet when i go back to Fort Lauderdale. So I stopped at Sebastian Inlet North Pier around 4:00PM (North pier was my first time). I saw people were so packed at the end of pier. People at east end side were killing Sheepsheads. I saw at least 15 sheeps coming over the rail. But there was no room for me. Around 5:00, a bunch of people who were catching sheeps at east end left so I had room. but I learned quickly why they left. Incoming current was so strong. My 20Lb line doesn't hold the bottom with 4 Oz. It was very hard to feel sheepshead bite. I was loosing my baits.

And then I saw one guy catching mack/jack/blues with spoon.
So i decided to go for that. I used 12' with 3 oz spoon (with 3 gold hooks).
After trial and error, I realized the hot spot is right east end corner for casting spoon during strong incoming tide. And I had some room to fish there. I was killing macks. I caught one out of every three or four cast. I caught 8 mack, 2 blue, and a few jacks in a hour before dark. I was "competing" with a local guy who had been killing mack/blue/jack using small spoon with 2 Oz weight. He ended up taking picture of my set up (Does this mean I win ???) and taught me some tips and showed me pictures of one 40" red and one 40" snook that he caught at right that spot using lure.

BTW, guy at Sebastian bait shop told me water is still too cold for snook at Sebastian.
Also, they didn't have big shrimp. This is reason why Dade County or further south is better for snook at the moment.

-Kblue

killakimdr
Fisher

Post by killakimdr »

Great update!!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Awesome report!! Thanks!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Fished the port today from 12-7 .. The fishing was SLOW... No bites most of the day until around 6:30 and I was about to leave and then I got two nice snapper(13") and my first keeper flounder of the year... They were landed in a 15 minutes and then I left... Tides were bad so that explains why the fishing was so slow...

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Mangrove snapper are still around? wow... 13" are nice size for them as well!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Yeah I'm surprised as well!! I thought they left in the winter but apparently not... I have been getting some almost every trip and these were Fatties!!

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

I live like 40 minutes west on 528 and 417. I'd like to learn more about Jetty Park. Willing to trade trips to Sebastian Inlet.Image

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Nice snook! I'm no professional (that's Jettypark28 haha) but if you are looking for a fishing partner I'm always willing to go! Lemme know...

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Fishboy, I'll hit u up in a bit. Schedule is crazy atm.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Re: Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2013-2014

Post by tears143 »

You should look at the radar map hourly... it predict it better for rain.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

jettypark28 wrote:let me know when you guys are hitting the park and I will try to make it...
heck I was going to run over tonite but with all the rain they were calling for I
decided to skip it... and it haven't rain one bit here :cry:

I knew I should've gone... but I have been sick and didn't want to chance it with
the rain/hail and wind.... and we didn't get chit.... :lol:

again keep updated and I will my best to meet you guys... and yes we do have
snook but they aren't no where as easy to catch as they are at SI and that's due
to the fact that we don't have a current to speak of... :shock:
no current huh? Now I'm thinking 1/8th jig head and a bag of fiddlers for Jetty Park for Prisoners.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

killula wrote: no current huh? Now I'm thinking 1/8th jig head and a bag of fiddlers for Jetty Park for Prisoners.
Those guy were on fire at SI today... basically everyone was catching them there if they were going after them and know what they are doing.

10 per person easy!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

killula wrote:
jettypark28 wrote:let me know when you guys are hitting the park and I will try to make it...
heck I was going to run over tonite but with all the rain they were calling for I
decided to skip it... and it haven't rain one bit here :cry:

I knew I should've gone... but I have been sick and didn't want to chance it with
the rain/hail and wind.... and we didn't get chit.... :lol:

again keep updated and I will my best to meet you guys... and yes we do have
snook but they aren't no where as easy to catch as they are at SI and that's due
to the fact that we don't have a current to speak of... :shock:
no current huh? Now I'm thinking 1/8th jig head and a bag of fiddlers for Jetty Park for Prisoners.
Yeah basically no current.. Fiddlers are the way to go if you are targetting them. a jighead will work, or I usually use a splitshot and small hook and I do okay on them...

MHERRON2213
Fisher

Post by MHERRON2213 »

Y'all are making me crazy. A little over a month and I will be there in JP fishing. In the mean time - please look at the October 2013 and current picture. Oct pic was taken on a spot below the bridge - bridge is approx 30 feet above the water - thus 30 feet of ice build up in current picture

C U In April
Oct 15 008.jpg
DSCI0102.jpg
DSCI0098.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Dang!!! That is crazy! We are having 80° tempratures this week so far haha...

MHERRON2213
Fisher

Post by MHERRON2213 »

JP - I have been suggesting moving for 5 years. She has two G-Babiys- so what chance do I have - ZERO. So I visit a couple of times a year.

Fishboy - 80's sounds great

Hope we can hook up this trip - April 5 thru 13th. So one Sunday and a Saturday.

BTW - How is Fishin'?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Fishings been good. I got a whopping 45 minutes of fishing in on Saturday with all the rain, but the bite was good and I had 4 hook ups but 3 hooks pulled and I landed one NICE winter snapper (14 inches)... Temps gonna drop this weekend, but I have a spot which hopefully will be productive so I'll let you know how it goes! :toast:

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Anyone been out recently? I might be heading out for a quick trip Saturday afternoon. Last couple times I hit the park the sheepshead have been pretty thick and I saw a couple drum being caught too. Anyone else planning on fishing this weekend?

Return to “Brevard--Indian River--St Lucie Countys--Volusia”