Attention from parks & recreation

Info, Photos and leaderboard thread for 2009
JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

P-nut just moved to Texas, but coach Mike and Will (black Will the wrestling coach from Gardens) are there still on the weekends.
Fishing has been sucking there lately cause the pompano and bluefish are gone and the bait hasnt really shown up yet.

christian of the LPC
Fisher

Post by christian of the LPC »

not to be rude, but i say, if you dont want to fish it, for what ever reason. DONT! otherwise, let the ones putting together this great tourney do their job with as little drama as possible. they have and will put together a great tourney, and if you dont like the rules, then start your own tourney and make your own rules.. thanks.
land pirates crew

rsieminski
Seasoned Fisher

Post by rsieminski »

I thought this was an OPEN forum, welcoming ALL opinions and ideas. Not really feasible to get everyone who might be interested together in one place to have a meeting, so here it is. Listening to other peoples ideas, and opinions is how we make this better for everyone. At least that's the way I saw these posts today and in the past. It would be stupid not to listen to the participants on how they can make it better, or correct problems.

christian of the LPC
Fisher

Post by christian of the LPC »

i AGREE. it is an OPEN forum, and that is my opinion.
land pirates crew

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Good Input

Post by Goat »

A friend of mine who worked for the parks department in Martin county (I say worked because he and a most of his department got laid off recently due to funding cuts) called me yesterday and said he met a person on the beach who was shark fishing. My friend was one of the people who did a lot of park planning and you would see him often on channel 20 martin county tv.

He said the person he met explained he was in the land based shark tourney, what it was about, etc. He said the person was really nice and was impressed with all he had to say. I am not sure what beach he was on (I'll ask when I see him next) but the person fishing and taking the time to talk to someone like this made a great impression. Whoever it was did a nice job.

I am impressed. Have a great tournament
Goat

captjason85
Fisher

Re: Beach Shark Fishing "Personal Opinions"

Post by captjason85 »

Hey to the Parties involved with the SBST if it ever comes to the point where the Gov is trying to shut you down from shark fishing give me a show I am an Attorney and Me and my LawFirm will set up a form of Litigation to stop this from happening . We are also landbased Shark fishermen . We will do what it takes to have the results of the govt. Over Ruled even if we have to fight all the way to the Supreme Court . We have never lost a case never. We will help out for free just to keep the great sport of LBSF alive and well

Jason Wright J.D. C.E. M.D.
Jason Wright

rcssurfer22
Fisher

Post by rcssurfer22 »

thanx jason. Very good to know.
Team Rip the Lips!!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

captjason85 wrote:Hey to the Parties involved with the SBST if it ever comes to the point where the Gov is trying to shut you down from shark fishing give me a show I am an Attorney and Me and my LawFirm will set up a form of Litigation to stop this from happening . We are also landbased Shark fishermen . We will do what it takes to have the results of the govt. Over Ruled even if we have to fight all the way to the Supreme Court . We have never lost a case never. We will help out for free just to keep the great sport of LBSF alive and well

Jason Wright J.D. C.E. M.D.

Thanks for your support...Lets hope it never gets to that point, as long as we all shark fish responsibly we should not have a problem.

Once again Thanks!... :toast:
That loves to fish.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

captjason85: It is shut down in Lauderdale area (not by fish and game but rather the county because of tourists) and it would be great to see you get it opened back up. That is what you would be up against incase you want to research it. Also have the turtle laws in Cocoa that in a round about way shut it down also but I will explain further in this note.

It was also shut it down for a bit in Juno around 1980. Turtle people, condo people and public beach goers had pitched a fit to the county agencies. We did not really fish the beach that much and the main complaints were because the old Juno Pier let us do it and it was scaring the beach goers. There is a no shark fishing sign on the new pier and was always on the Lake Worth Pier. We are lucky that the attendants on Juno pier kind of look the other way. I still shark fish on the pier but very low key.

One guy (not part of this tourney) caught a hammer on the new Juno/Jupiter pier about a year ago. They dragged it up on the beach, made a big deal about it and then they dragged it across the street and gutted it at the restroom area and left the guts there. Some woman came to the pier house and reported that it looked like someone had been killed and all sorts of police showed up. Guys like that do more damage to what we do than anyone. That one incident may have initiated some of the reviews that seemed to be taking place.

My original post was really due to a person I had never met before talking about the county looking at shark fishing again. I still shark fish and it took me by surprise to hear what he said. Then Juno Chris shortly after posted about the police giving him a hard time about a shark hooked up on the pier and that is the first time I have ever heard of that happening on the pier (which by the way they can do something about on the pier but chose not to in his case which is great. Sounds like police did not realize it is a town thing and not a FWC thing. ) and then JunoChris reported he heard Fish and Game were monitoring the shark fishing on the beach in Palm Beach County from a beach cop. Three things lined up.

I did not intend to stir everyone up and in fact I very much support this tournament in ways you may or may not not know. My input was only intended to put the message out there that some things appeared to be going on behind the scenes and let you know what I heard and my past experience.

I was at Cocoa beach a few months ago staying at a beach side hotel my friends father owns called South Beach Inn (great place if you ever get to go there). We planned to shark fish all night but we got shut down as soon as we turn on our headlamps to see going on to the beach. We were told it is a felony to turn a light on while on the beach in Cocoa due to turtle protection. If they want to shut it down the turtle seems to be the excuse of choice. We could shark fish but without lights or camera flashes. One camera flash could have resulted in a $10K fine and felony conviction. We can't win in court against the Endangered Species Act which in a way shut us down without actually banning shark fishing. They have also used it successfully to shut the Juno Pier down at night during nesting season.

I agree everyone is great and responsible in this tourney. I plan to attend the awards ceremony with my young son if possible. He attended with me during the original tourney and we met a lot of really great people. I fished the original tourney started by PierA. The issue is that 1% or 2% of John Q. Public or that one turtle person who looks you in the eye, listens to what we say, smiles, says great things, shakes your hand and then runs to the county people and pitches a fit or those people not in the tourney who do what those guys did with that hammer at the Juno Pier restroom.

I'm on your side, love all the pictures and would have liked to have fished the tourney this year but other things have me side tracked. I wish you all great luck.

Goat

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Attention from parks & recreation

Post by Goat »

This is a shame. Looks like they are killing them.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerop ... &id=773286

captjason85
Fisher

Post by captjason85 »

Goat wrote:captjason85: It is shut down in Lauderdale area (not by fish and game but rather the county because of tourists) and it would be great to see you get it opened back up. That is what you would be up against incase you want to research it. Also have the turtle laws in Cocoa that in a round about way shut it down also but I will explain further in this note.

It was also shut it down for a bit in Juno around 1980. Turtle people, condo people and public beach goers had pitched a fit to the county agencies. We did not really fish the beach that much and the main complaints were because the old Juno Pier let us do it and it was scaring the beach goers. There is a no shark fishing sign on the new pier and was always on the Lake Worth Pier. We are lucky that the attendants on Juno pier kind of look the other way. I still shark fish on the pier but very low key.

One guy (not part of this tourney) caught a hammer on the new Juno/Jupiter pier about a year ago. They dragged it up on the beach, made a big deal about it and then they dragged it across the street and gutted it at the restroom area and left the guts there. Some woman came to the pier house and reported that it looked like someone had been killed and all sorts of police showed up. Guys like that do more damage to what we do than anyone. That one incident may have initiated some of the reviews that seemed to be taking place.

My original post was really due to a person I had never met before talking about the county looking at shark fishing again. I still shark fish and it took me by surprise to hear what he said. Then Juno Chris shortly after posted about the police giving him a hard time about a shark hooked up on the pier and that is the first time I have ever heard of that happening on the pier (which by the way they can do something about on the pier but chose not to in his case which is great. Sounds like police did not realize it is a town thing and not a FWC thing. ) and then JunoChris reported he heard Fish and Game were monitoring the shark fishing on the beach in Palm Beach County from a beach cop. Three things lined up.

I did not intend to stir everyone up and in fact I very much support this tournament in ways you may or may not not know. My input was only intended to put the message out there that some things appeared to be going on behind the scenes and let you know what I heard and my past experience.

I was at Cocoa beach a few months ago staying at a beach side hotel my friends father owns called South Beach Inn (great place if you ever get to go there). We planned to shark fish all night but we got shut down as soon as we turn on our headlamps to see going on to the beach. We were told it is a felony to turn a light on while on the beach in Cocoa due to turtle protection. If they want to shut it down the turtle seems to be the excuse of choice. We could shark fish but without lights or camera flashes. One camera flash could have resulted in a $10K fine and felony conviction. We can't win in court against the Endangered Species Act which in a way shut us down without actually banning shark fishing. They have also used it successfully to shut the Juno Pier down at night during nesting season.

I agree everyone is great and responsible in this tourney. I plan to attend the awards ceremony with my young son if possible. He attended with me during the original tourney and we met a lot of really great people. I fished the original tourney started by PierA. The issue is that 1% or 2% of John Q. Public or that one turtle person who looks you in the eye, listens to what we say, smiles, says great things, shakes your hand and then runs to the county people and pitches a fit or those people not in the tourney who do what those guys did with that hammer at the Juno Pier restroom.

I'm on your side, love all the pictures and would have liked to have fished the tourney this year but other things have me side tracked. I wish you all great luck.

Goat
Goat,

Thanks for the info . I will be glad to take a look into the public regastar and Acclomation books to see if we can't get some positive results on this matter . I myself will head up a team to see what we can do against the F.E.S.A . Our Firm had a similar case in which we were forced to take adequate action against the Federal Endangered Speices Act . A couple of years ago . My father was the Lead Attorney for the Litigation and we succeded in the sucessful termination or the ordnance that prevented us from using lighting and a few other things. I beleive that we can get the beaches back open for shark fishing very soon . I will start the ball rolling Monday morning soon as I get back to the Office . I may fly down and review the statues and talk to some the people responsible for this .

Thanks
Jason D. Wright J.D. C.E. M.D.
Jason Wright

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Oh now that would be cool. Then ofcourse you have all the local yocals that would flip out because there are big sharks off their beaches and the sharkers attracted them. :roll:
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

james380

Post by james380 »

rob762 wrote:
james380 wrote:Oh now that would be cool. Then ofcourse you have all the local yocals that would flip out because there are big sharks off their beaches and the sharkers attracted them. :roll:
There are sharks in the ocean? What will they think of next? Seriously though, my family has a whole new appreciation for the number of sharks that swim very close to shore....
Yep i've always known they were out there, but had no idea what type, how big they were, and how close they came in.
- Charlton Heston

james380

Post by james380 »

Yep I agree. If most people knew the truth the beaches would be near empty, tourism would be affected, and we would have a massive shark kill on our hands.
- Charlton Heston

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

I was pulled off my surfboard on a real rough day in 1980 by a bull shark when I was surfing at the far north end Hobe Sound beach. Dirty water and lots of bait. Still have one scar from stitches on my right hand and the rest they left open to heal. It grabbed me by the hand, pulled me under and fortunately let me go. Lot's of blood and they closed down the beach.

A friend of ours was a life guard years ago at the Hobe Sound beach and he had his leg mangled by a shark when he was swimming one morning. He showed me the pictures from the news paper again a few weeks ago.

I went back out surfing at Carlin Park a week after being bit with a rubber glove on my hand and duct tape around it to keep it closed and keep the stitches dry. Had a shark surface near me that day to and spooked me.

I finally bought a Dewy Webber nice fat long board so I could float high and keep my hands and feet up out of the water when I was sitting out there. I was probably the only person laying down the whole time instead of sitting on my board with my feet in the water.

I rarely go in swimming anymore after seeing what we had been catching at night.

Return to “2009 SHOREBOUND SHARK TOURNEY”