Pompano poacher

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
Ronmoll
Fisher

Pompano poacher

Post by Ronmoll »

Hello everyone,

I was at Pompano Pier this evening just to see if anyone was catching anything. When I get to the end of the pier, I see someone filleting a huge fish. When I go see what it is, I'm shocked to see a very large over slot Snook! The offender Is a older Asian gentleman who is known for keeping small under size fish. He is filleting the fish very fast obviously knowing what he is doing is wrong and doesn't want to be caught. A young man tells him that he can get a big fine for doing that. He laughs as he throws the empty carcass into the ocean. Other people were complaining and took pictures and video as well. A short time later a Broward Sheriff showed up and walked around. Someone stated that FWC was called but I never saw them come.

To make this even worse, somebody said that it was a female and that they saw eggs/ egg sac when he was filleting it. Being new to Florida fishing,I looked this up and discovered that Snook spawn every two days and lay a million eggs. It is truly a shame that someone can do damage to the local fishery like that and just laugh about it.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Pompano poacher

Post by baseball4life702 »

Welcome to Florida my friend, get used to that chit, we are lucky enough to have a group of guys here that respect the rules and understand what they are for, Along with having the balls to stand up and call or speak up and make a difference one by one.

repair
Fisher

Post by repair »

I have the FWC on my phone on speed dial just for that reason

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Pompano pier is wild wild west...
I've seen proacher in Pompano pier... but not this stupid...Typical proacher is supposed to run away with fish to car. Not filleting fish in front of public...and picture and video are taken... I hope his picture will be submitted to FWC and they are after him... I recommend to post it here if you have picture...

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Kblue tell your commie cousin to leave the summer snook alone (tommy

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

my uncle is not picking up his phone...

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

kblue wrote:Pompano pier is wild wild west...
I've seen proacher in Pompano pier... but not this stupid...Typical proacher is supposed to run away with fish to car. Not filleting fish in front of public...and picture and video are taken... I hope his picture will be submitted to FWC and they are after him... I recommend to post it here if you have picture...

fwc dont give a flying about no damn picture hell ive turned in a few dozen people along with a few dozen ppl have tryed to turn me in for pictures of tarpon
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

My buddy called into the tip line to report a guy for keeping short snook out of season and FWC came, ticketed the guy, and gave my buddy a $100 bill as a reward. True story

SaintMary
Fisher

Post by SaintMary »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:My buddy called into the tip line to report a guy for keeping short snook out of season and FWC came, ticketed the guy, and gave my buddy a $100 bill as a reward. True story
I'm really glad that you said this because I was just about to say that having FWC's number isn't always going to be the number that you'll NEED. I found this to be be the case when I called to report turtle poaching. I'd been fishing by the pier in Lake Worth and thought there were a few people down there being obvious that they were being shady. (I thought it was just a pot smoking thing or something illegal, but harmless) so,when I had initially approached one couple, they moved too quickly to hide something (again I thought it was drugs). Along with, approximately 20 other couples were covering a nest with a blanket and then faking a make-out session to cover.

I've lived here for close to 3 years, in Palm beach county. You hear stories from the turtle broad, but don't take it seriously until seeing something like that on a first hand basis. I prefer to think that more people out there think similarly to myself, but it turns out that me thinking that is what they count on.

FWC, police, sheriff, etc. are just as guilty. I had to play all 3 against each other and add one more police department just to make sure they all kept each other in check. Lake worth PD, SPB PD, FWC, and the PBC sheriff department all called with similar reports by me. Then one of the officers from SPB PD told me that is what they tell everyone to do and then inform me that between PD, sheriff, and FWC, one will have a $500 reward to pay me that's funded to them to provide motive for people to report it. Total news to me.

Shady doesn't even cover it when it comes to the officers trusted to enforce the law.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Along with, approximately 20 other couples were covering a nest with a blanket and then faking a make-out session to cover.
It sounds like a santeria ritual they were doing.

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

Sadly the FWC doesn't have the man power to cover all areas and the local LEO doesn't know the laws enough and most don't want to bother
with it... unless you push it...

Now FWC will make stings from time to time at well known areas.... but here at the Cape we have One FWC who runs the inlet, but he leaves
around 9pm.... :cry:

B923782
Fisher

Post by B923782 »

I've seen a shorter asian man cast netting Permit that were maybe 6 inches to use as bait. Bastard. Didn't have the time/energy to get involved, and was deflected by him saying yes you can keep them and they weren't permit, but what can be mistaken for a permit.

At least it's not as bad as the Guatemalans in the indian river lagoon using 20ft cast nets to steal 1000s of worthless mangrove snapper. After I saw that I called FWC, but they never caught them. That area has been complete poop for years after that one run they made ruining the nursery.

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”